unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Videos
@ 2018-05-29 14:48 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
introduce functional package management with Guix.

This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds should
point the viewer to the manual to learn more.

Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
videos?  There are many tasks such as:

* collecting topics that should be covered
* writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
* translating the scripts into different languages
* recording the narrations in different languages
* drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
  shown and for how long)
* recording the video portions
* mixing different audio tracks and the video track
* designing intro and outro frames
* recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
* coordinating with all volunteers

What do you think?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-29 15:45 ` Julien Lepiller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-05-29 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
> Hi Guix,
>
> I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
> introduce functional package management with Guix.
>
> This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the
> manual
> and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
> focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds
> should
> point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>
> Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
> videos?  There are many tasks such as:
>
> * collecting topics that should be covered
> * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
> * translating the scripts into different languages
> * recording the narrations in different languages
> * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>   shown and for how long)
> * recording the video portions
> * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
> * designing intro and outro frames
> * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
> * coordinating with all volunteers
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Ricardo

That sounds like a great plan! Of course I'd like to be involved in
translating
the script into French and I could probably record a French version of
the videos
too. I don't have any experience in the other fields, but I guess I
could learn.

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-29 15:51   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-05-29 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

> Le 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
>
>> Hi Guix,
>>
>> I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
>> introduce functional package management with Guix.
>>
>> This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
>> and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
>> focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds should
>> point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>>
>> Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
>> videos?  There are many tasks such as:
>>
>> * collecting topics that should be covered
>> * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
>> * translating the scripts into different languages
>> * recording the narrations in different languages
>> * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>>   shown and for how long)
>> * recording the video portions
>> * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
>> * designing intro and outro frames
>> * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
>> * coordinating with all volunteers
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> --
>> Ricardo
>>

> That sounds like a great plan! Of course I'd like to be involved in
> translating
> the script into French and I could probably record a French version of the
> videos
> too. I don't have any experience in the other fields, but I guess I could
> learn.

I think I have demonstrated my aptitude in recording video fragments on the
field 😄

As for storyboarding and scripting, instead, I'd love to receive
suggestions.

Also, I wouldn't know how to mix audio/video. What software could we use ?
I don't know.

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-29 16:14 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2018-05-29 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
> introduce functional package management with Guix.
>
> This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the
> manual
> and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
> focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds
> should
> point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>
> Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
> videos?  There are many tasks such as:
>
> * collecting topics that should be covered
> * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
> * translating the scripts into different languages
> * recording the narrations in different languages
> * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>   shown and for how long)
> * recording the video portions
> * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
> * designing intro and outro frames
> * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
> * coordinating with all volunteers
>
> What do you think?

Guix videos! Great idea! FWIW, I think it's a lot of
efforts, but if the community manage to pull it off,
very great!

FWIW, I record screencast using the following script:

   ~/src/scheme/video$ cat record.sh
   #!/bin/sh
   ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0.0+0,0 -f
pulse -ac 2 -i default $1

Then run the script with something like:

   $ ./record.sh guix-functional-package-manager.mp4

I've been recording some guile hacking session, that you
can find on youtube with the name "GNU Guile Hacking".
Or using the following command:

   youtube-dl
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_jCPpfzyfeqtG9Jm4-WkiyX3kP4GiZp5

It's far away from anything like a MOOC but some people
enjoy them.  I am not looking to spam the mailing with
my poor attempts at marketing GNU Guile but rather suggest
that anyone can create such video focusing on guix. And
without much prepartion, can do much better than me.

Anyway, good luck!

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-29 16:25     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-29 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> Also, I wouldn't know how to mix audio/video. What software could we
> use ?  I don't know.

In the past I have used the sequence editor in Blender for processing
videos.

I would use that if the video needs to be cut and the audio needs to be
carefully aligned.  For simpler videos where the exact duration of each
segment is known and the narrator is forced to fit the narration into
the known duration we can do without Blender and automate the mixing
(with ffmpeg or similar).

--
Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-29 20:01 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-05-29 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
> introduce functional package management with Guix.

That’s a good idea!

> Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
> videos?  There are many tasks such as:
>
> * collecting topics that should be covered
> * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
> * translating the scripts into different languages
> * recording the narrations in different languages
> * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>   shown and for how long)
> * recording the video portions
> * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
> * designing intro and outro frames
> * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
> * coordinating with all volunteers

For a start, volunteers could look at material from talks we gave (see
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks>).
For example graphics from the slides or the narrative to introduce a
topic might help get started.

Ludo’.

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-30 12:11     ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-05-30 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

>  Le 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
>
>  Hi Guix,
>
>  I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
>  introduce functional package management with Guix.
>
>  This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
>  and wouldn’t know where to begin reading. Each of the videos should
>  focus on a single feature and be on the point. The final seconds should
>  point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>
>  Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
>  videos? There are many tasks such as:
>
>  * collecting topics that should be covered
>  * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
>  * translating the scripts into different languages
>  * recording the narrations in different languages
>  * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>  shown and for how long)
>  * recording the video portions
>  * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
>  * designing intro and outro frames
>  * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
>  * coordinating with all volunteers
>
>  What do you think?
>
>  --
>  Ricardo
>
>  That sounds like a great plan! Of course I'd like to be involved in translating
>  the script into French and I could probably record a French version of the videos
>  too. I don't have any experience in the other fields, but I guess I could learn.
>
> I think I have demonstrated my aptitude in recording video fragments on the field 😄
>
> As for storyboarding and scripting, instead, I'd love to receive suggestions.
>
> Also, I wouldn't know how to mix audio/video. What software could we use ?
> I don't know.

You may want to try simplescreenrecorder. I tried it before, it is
reasonably easy to use.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-30 22:10       ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2018-05-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

>>  Le 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
>>
>>  Hi Guix,
>>
>>  I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
>>  introduce functional package management with Guix.
>>
>>  This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
>>  and wouldn’t know where to begin reading. Each of the videos should
>>  focus on a single feature and be on the point. The final seconds should
>>  point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>>
>>  Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
>>  videos? There are many tasks such as:
>>
>>  * collecting topics that should be covered
>>  * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
>>  * translating the scripts into different languages
>>  * recording the narrations in different languages
>>  * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>>  shown and for how long)
>>  * recording the video portions
>>  * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
>>  * designing intro and outro frames
>>  * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
>>  * coordinating with all volunteers
>>
>>  What do you think?
>>
>>  --
>>  Ricardo
>>
>>  That sounds like a great plan! Of course I'd like to be involved in translating
>>  the script into French and I could probably record a French version of the videos
>>  too. I don't have any experience in the other fields, but I guess I could learn.
>>
>> I think I have demonstrated my aptitude in recording video fragments on the field 😄
>>
>> As for storyboarding and scripting, instead, I'd love to receive suggestions.
>>
>> Also, I wouldn't know how to mix audio/video. What software could we use ?
>> I don't know.
>
> You may want to try simplescreenrecorder. I tried it before, it is
> reasonably easy to use.

Or, if you're using GNOME: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R.  A small red dot will
appear in the upper right corner.  Press the key combination again to
stop the recording, and a webm video will appear in your ‘Videos’
folder.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-31  6:12         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-31  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: guix-devel

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> writes:

> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

>>>  Le 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
>>>
>>>  Hi Guix,
>>>
>>>  I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
>>>  introduce functional package management with Guix.
>>>
>>>  This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
>>>  and wouldn’t know where to begin reading. Each of the videos should
>>>  focus on a single feature and be on the point. The final seconds should
>>>  point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>>>
>>>  Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
>>>  videos? There are many tasks such as:
>>>
>>>  * collecting topics that should be covered
>>>  * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
>>>  * translating the scripts into different languages
>>>  * recording the narrations in different languages
>>>  * drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
>>>  shown and for how long)
>>>  * recording the video portions
>>>  * mixing different audio tracks and the video track
>>>  * designing intro and outro frames
>>>  * recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
>>>  * coordinating with all volunteers
>>>
>>>  What do you think?
>>>
>>>  --
>>>  Ricardo
>>>
>>>  That sounds like a great plan! Of course I'd like to be involved in translating
>>>  the script into French and I could probably record a French version of the videos
>>>  too. I don't have any experience in the other fields, but I guess I could learn.
>>>
>>> I think I have demonstrated my aptitude in recording video fragments on the field 😄
>>>
>>> As for storyboarding and scripting, instead, I'd love to receive suggestions.
>>>
>>> Also, I wouldn't know how to mix audio/video. What software could we use ?
>>> I don't know.
>>
>> You may want to try simplescreenrecorder. I tried it before, it is
>> reasonably easy to use.
>
> Or, if you're using GNOME: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R.  A small red dot will
> appear in the upper right corner.  Press the key combination again to
> stop the recording, and a webm video will appear in your ‘Videos’
> folder.

That’s a good one!

To clarify, though: I don’t think we need to use a screen recorder, or
at least it would be a very small part of this project.  I think of the
command line sessions to be very focused and to be only one of the
visual components of a <4min video.

When we do show commands and their output it could be useful to record
just the text and to time the output such that it fits the script
exactly.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-31  7:45           ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-05-31  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 31.05.2018 08:12, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> To clarify, though: I don’t think we need to use a screen recorder, or
> at least it would be a very small part of this project.  I think of the
> command line sessions to be very focused and to be only one of the
> visual components of a <4min video.
>
> When we do show commands and their output it could be useful to record
> just the text and to time the output such that it fits the script
> exactly.

I guess the ideal material to work with would be a sequence of text
files. For commands that cause a noticeable delay and for text scrolling
by, one would also need timing information.

Coupled with a script that takes such input and renders a sequence of
still images and sub-sequences at the desired FPS.

So for every state of output that is held on screen for a while, you
have one image that can easily be used for the desired duration in a
video editor.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-31  8:53             ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2018-05-31  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:
> I guess the ideal material to work with would be a sequence of text files.
> For commands that cause a noticeable delay and for text scrolling by, one
> would also need timing information.
>
> Coupled with a script that takes such input and renders a sequence of still
> images and sub-sequences at the desired FPS.
>
> So for every state of output that is held on screen for a while, you have
> one image that can easily be used for the desired duration in a video
> editor.

For text (terminal) screen captures, I recently discovered asciinema(1),
I'll let you decide if it suits your needs, but it was very easy to setup
(package exists for debian). And very lightweight too.

(1) https://asciinema.org/

Cheers

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-05-31  9:17               ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-31  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Maybe a little off-topic, but if there ever is a need for GIFs, I've
recently worked on an Emacs package for high quality/compression ratio
GIF recordings:

	https://github.com/Ambrevar/emacs-gif-screencast

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-01 16:12                 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-01 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi.

On May 31, 2018 11:17:48 AM GMT+02:00, Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> wrote:

>Maybe a little off-topic, but if there ever is a need for GIFs, I've
>recently worked on an Emacs package for high quality/compression ratio
>GIF recordings:

Have you read this?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.en.html
I like the idea of recording per action 😀. Maybe an alternative to GIF is available.

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-01 16:16                   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

I had not clue about this!  Wow! :/

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-05 21:41                   ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-06-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> Hi.
>
> On May 31, 2018 11:17:48 AM GMT+02:00, Pierre Neidhardt
> <ambrevar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Maybe a little off-topic, but if there ever is a need for GIFs, I've
>>recently worked on an Emacs package for high quality/compression ratio
>>GIF recordings:
>
> Have you read this?
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.en.html
> I like the idea of recording per action 😀. Maybe an alternative to
> GIF is available.

I think you should read the footnote: "Animated GIFs are a different
story ...".

Also, the article is more of historical interest now as the first
paragraph indicates.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-06 12:56                     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-06 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

HI

On 2018-06-05 23:41, Alex Vong wrote:
> swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On May 31, 2018 11:17:48 AM GMT+02:00, Pierre Neidhardt
>> <ambrevar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Maybe a little off-topic, but if there ever is a need for GIFs, I've
>>> recently worked on an Emacs package for high quality/compression ratio
>>> GIF recordings:
>> Have you read this?
>> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.en.html
>> I like the idea of recording per action 😀. Maybe an alternative to
>> GIF is available.
> I think you should read the footnote: "Animated GIFs are a different
> story ...".
>
> Also, the article is more of historical interest now as the first
> paragraph indicates.
A ha. I missed the footnote stating:

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF APNG exist as an
alternative. I have never used or seen it used though it is apparently
supported by modern browsers.

GIFs are probably fine to use now the technology is old and widespread.

--
---
Swedebugia

* Re: Videos
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-18 20:47 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

A while ago I proposed this:

> I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
> introduce functional package management with Guix.
>
> This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
> and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
> focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds should
> point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>
> Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
> videos?  There are many tasks such as:
>
> * collecting topics that should be covered
> * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
[…]

I guess it makes sense to start at the beginning :)

What are good first topics that we could introduced in self-contained
videos?  The goal is to show a useful feature (one or two closely
related features per video) without making things confusing.

Ludo recommended to take a look at the slides that people have been
using to present Guix to various audiences:

    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks

We don’t have to use them as they are, but they could provide some
inspiration to find ways to explain the essence of functional package
management.  We don’t need to start with this abstract topic.  Maybe
it’s better to show features first.

What are your thoughts on this?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19  7:16   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-06-19  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. jún. 18., H,
22:48):

> Hi Guix,
>
> A while ago I proposed this:
>
> > I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
> > introduce functional package management with Guix.
> >
> > This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
> > and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
> > focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds should
> > point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
> >
> > Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
> > videos?  There are many tasks such as:
> >
> > * collecting topics that should be covered
> > * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
> […]
>
> I guess it makes sense to start at the beginning :)
>
> What are good first topics that we could introduced in self-contained
> videos?  The goal is to show a useful feature (one or two closely
> related features per video) without making things confusing.
>
> Ludo recommended to take a look at the slides that people have been
> using to present Guix to various audiences:
>
>     https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks
>
> We don’t have to use them as they are, but they could provide some
> inspiration to find ways to explain the essence of functional package
> management.  We don’t need to start with this abstract topic.  Maybe
> it’s better to show features first.

I tend to agree. Features first look like a good idea. Also, we should
emphasize the benefits of doing things the guix way :)
People might be more interested if they can see how their current
situation is made better by a tool.

> What are your thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19  9:16     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-19  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

As for the "no-turning-back" features of Guix (in my opinion):

- Rollbacks: system and user profiles are much harder to break.

- System integrity: because the system configuration is declarative,
this gives the user / sys-admin an actual guarantee of what's going
on.
On other Unices, it's much harder to tell when a random configuration
file has been touched somewhere.

- Keep your system config under version control: udev rules, Xorg, pam,
etc.  Thanks to Guile, the config can be made conditional to the
hardware or even the hostname!
With other Unices this is much harder, although I don't know much about
configuration management tools like Ansible.

- Replacement for other (not so good) package managers: TeXlive(!!!),
Emacs package.el, etc.  It makes user-profile declaration much easier.
Guix is possibly the only sane way to manage TeXlive.

- Package declaration using Guile: it makes it much easier to work out
package (re)definitions _en masse_.  It advantageously replaces concepts
such as Portage's USE flags (Guix is more flexible and can make use of
conditionals, filters, etc.), split packages (Guix "output" makes it much
easier and clearer to separate the doc, the libraries, the extra tools,
etc.).

- Non-propagated inputs: the first month using Guix I didn't get the
point of having two "inputs" and "propagated-inputs".  But now I see how
nice it is of Guix to not clutter my user profile with dependencies I
don't need for my own use.  See "inxi" for a good example: if I only
need a tool to report about my system and hardware, I don't necessarily
want 2-3 dozens of additional commandline tools (I know nothing of)
added to my PATH.

- guix environment: Like non-propagated inputs, it's a neat way to keep
the user profile clean.

- Partial upgrade are 100% supported.  This is possible the main cause
of breakages on Arch / Gentoo.  Because only one (or a few) version at a
time is supported, the whole system has to be updated together.  Which
means more bandwith usage on every upgrade.

- Continuous integration and lack of package maintainers: Thanks to
reproducible builds and partial upgrades, once a package works in Guix
it works "forever", it won't break at the next upgrade of some dependency.
This means that the workload of packaging can be transfered to build
farms.  Contrast that to the Arch community which needs a couple dozen
maintainers to stay tuned on thousand of packages.
With Guix, the contributors time can be put into better use.
In Guix it's straightforward to build from source or to install a
pre-built package directly, in fact, the distinction is not some
important to the end-user.  Guix can fall back on the building from
source if no substitute is available.

- "guix refresh": Update package definitions automatically.
Tools like that highlight the advantages of having a real programming
language at hand for package definitions.  What is a hard problem on
most distributions is pretty easy to implement on Guix.

- GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH: It's stupid but it's one of my favourite features!
On Arch Linux or Gentoo, one would have to set up a local repository.
Because they don't support partial upgrades, it means that the user has
to do some maintainance once in a while (i.e. make sure dependency
upgrades don't break the user's packages.)
Package inheritance makes it very easy to customize packages with a
patch, for instance.

- Emacs guix.el: Guix is the only distribution I know which comes with a
powerful user interface!

- Guix provides a good, concrete example of why containers are not the
right approach to packaging :)

- guix system vm / disk-image: It's trivial to build a "Live USB" with
my exact configuration (both system and user).

The list drags on, but that'll be it for today! :D

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people
are right more than half of the time.
		-- E. B. White

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19  9:32   ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-06-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 18.06.2018 22:47, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> What are good first topics that we could introduced in self-contained
> videos?  The goal is to show a useful feature (one or two closely
> related features per video) without making things confusing.

> We don’t need to start with this abstract topic.  Maybe
> it’s better to show features first.

If the videos are supposed to not only be of help to those who already
decided to give Guix a spin, but also to encourage others to do so, they
should perhaps be scenario [/ use case / problem / story] based.

With a flow like this:
    Scenario
-> the What of a set of helpful features
-> the How

As starting point, we may assume the viewer isn't even aware of issues
with package management ala .deb. Even worse, if they are more
accustomed to Windows, OSX, IOS, Android, they might not even see the
advantages of typical Linux package management.

However, the comparison to other systems comes with the risks of
becoming long-winded and to appear to disparage the efforts of others.

Topics should likely start on a per-package level, then move to the
system level. Likewise from user to developer.

If a user doesn't already know which piece of software they are
interested in, there's a step even before installation ... let's call it
discovery. Seems all that could be mentioned here is `guix package -s
term`. I just tried to come up with a nice example, but even knowingly
aiming at Inkscape, `guix package -s svg` or `... "vector graphics"`
speaks more of a problem than a solution. If only one could filter for
library / cli tool / graphical application.

With protagonist P and software S:

Package
   Discovery
     P wants to accomplish Thing and looks for matching Free Software.
   Installation
     P wants to use S and thus installs it, without worrying about any
     dependencies. P may lack root privileges. Not even a power outage
     can faze P.
   Updates and rollbacks
     P updates S, then finds out something about S doesn't work as
     desired anymore. P rolls S back to the previous version without
     skipping a beat
   Removal
     P doesn't use S anymore. P removes S and it is as if it was never
     installed.

System
   Global updates and rollback
     P likes to keep all the software up-to-date and secure. P doesn't
     have to do much to accomplish this. If P tinkers with system
     configuration and ends up with its currents state broken, a rollback
     is not far.
   Garbage collection
     Rollback are nice, a full HD isn't ...
   Multiple versions side by side
     S1 needs library L version 1.2, S2 needs L at 2.1. No sweat!
   Duplication/Migration (system configuration and manifest)
     P bought a new computer. Getting it ready won't take long ...

Development
   Watertight handling of dependencies
   Inheriting and modifying packages
   Environments

@ 2018-06-19 14:44       ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On June 19, 2018 11:16:01 AM GMT+02:00, Pierre Neidhardt <pe.neidhardt@googlemail.com> wrote:

... Snip...
Agreed!

Additionally the self-documenting power of the system and the freedom from having to herd tons of configuration files with different often badly documented options in a number of different configuration languages is fantastic.
I have only 2! files written in guile: config.scm and a manifest.scm used to populate my userspace with the programs I want and nothing else.

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19 19:46   ` Dan Partelly
From: Dan Partelly @ 2018-06-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi guys,

Whats the story with the PDF files mentioned below ? Are they flawed , damaged or not confirming to standard ? None of my pdf readers can open them. Not even Firefox or Adobe Reader. Im trying to read more on Guix.

Dan

> using to present Guix to various audiences:
>
>    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks
>
> We don’t have to use them as they are, but they could provide some
> inspiration to find ways to explain the essence of functional package
> management.  We don’t need to start with this abstract topic.  Maybe
> it’s better to show features first.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19 20:01     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-19 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Partelly; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Dan,

> Whats the story with the PDF files mentioned below ? Are they flawed ,
> damaged or not confirming to standard ?

There is no story.  They work just fine.  Use the “plain” links, e.g.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/plain/talks/ghm-2012/guix-ghm-2012.20120721.pdf

--
Ricardo

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19 20:11     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2018-06-19 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Partelly; +Cc: guix-devel

Dan,

Dan Partelly wrote:
> Whats the story with the PDF files mentioned below ? Are they
> flawed , damaged or not confirming to standard ? None of my pdf
> readers can open them. Not even Firefox or Adobe Reader. Im
> trying to read more on Guix.

None of the above. You likely saved the target of the ‘foo.pdf’
link, which is an HTML file:

  $ curl -LO
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks/bio-it-world-2018/talk.2018-05-16.pdf
  $ file talk.2018-05-16.pdf
  talk.2018-05-16.pdf: HTML document, ASCII text, with very long
  lines

Saving this as ‘foo.pdf’ will still be an HTML file.

The ‘plain’ link on the right serves the raw PDF file:

  $ curl -LO
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/plain/talks/bio-it-world-2018/talk.2018-05-1-6.pdf
  $ file talk.2018-05-16.pdf
  talk.2018-05-16.pdf: PDF document, version 1.5

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: Videos
@ 2018-06-19 20:20       ` Dan Partelly