unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* dmd D Programming Language compiler
@ 2015-03-04 22:07 Walter Bright
From: Walter Bright @ 2015-03-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about 2000 or so.
In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu dmd ("Daemons-managing
Daemon") change its acronym?

Thanks,
-Walter

* Re: dmd D Programming Language compiler
@ 2015-03-17 17:25 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-03-17 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Walter Bright; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Walter,

Apologies for the late reply.

Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:

> The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about
> 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu
> dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym?

For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹.

Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise.
We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion
among developers.

BTW, it is unfortunate that Digital Mars’ compiler back-end denies² its
users essential freedoms to help each other (through redistribution), to
adjust the code as they see fit, and to gain collective control of it
and improve it.  I hope you will reconsider this choice and choose a
free software license.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ <http://www.gnu.org/software/dmd/#history> (I added this section
  recently.)

² As per <http://wiki.dlang.org/Compilers>.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: dmd D Programming Language compiler
@ 2015-03-17 18:58   ` Walter Bright
From: Walter Bright @ 2015-03-17 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 3/17/2015 10:25 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> Apologies for the late reply.
>
> Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:
>
>> The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about
>> 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu
>> dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym?
> For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹.
>
> Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise.
> We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion
> among developers.

Thanks for considering this. I appreciate it.

> BTW, it is unfortunate that Digital Mars’ compiler back-end denies² its
> users essential freedoms to help each other (through redistribution), to
> adjust the code as they see fit, and to gain collective control of it
> and improve it.  I hope you will reconsider this choice and choose a
> free software license.

I agree, but Symantec does not agree with changing the license, so I'm stuck
(yes, I've tried). On the other hand, the gdc and ldc D compilers are based on
open source back ends.

* Re:dmd’s new name
@ 2016-01-07 20:35     ` d.4.n.1
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: d.4.n.1 @ 2016-01-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo, guix-devel

* dmd’s new name
@ 2016-01-07 21:02   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:
>
>> The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about
>> 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu
>> dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym?
>
> For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹.
>
> Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise.
> We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion
> among developers.

You might remember this discussion from March 2015.

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00176.html

I proposed to Richard Stallman that we change the name to “GNU Shepherd”
and recently got the green light.

Rationale:

  1. A shepherd looks after sheep (or gnus ;-)), and GNU dmd looks after
     daemons.

  2. “Shepherd” ends with a ‘d’, which makes it a good name for a daemon.

  3. It’s a pun in the same spirit as “GNU Hurd”.

  4. We might even rename ‘deco’ to ‘herd’ because it’s the very command
     that allows users to herd their daemons.

Hope you like it.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: dmd’s new name
@ 2016-01-07 21:09     ` Florian Paul Schmidt
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Florian Paul Schmidt @ 2016-01-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

* Re: dmd’s new name
@ 2016-01-08  4:21     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-01-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:
>>
>>> The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about
>>> 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu
>>> dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym?
>>
>> For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹.
>>
>> Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise.
>> We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion
>> among developers.
>
> You might remember this discussion from March 2015.
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00176.html
>
> I proposed to Richard Stallman that we change the name to “GNUShepherd”
> and recently got the green light.
>
> Rationale:
>
>   1. A shepherd looks after sheep (or gnus ;-)), and GNUdmd looks after
>      daemons.
>
>   2. “Shepherd” ends with a ‘d’, which makes it a good name for a daemon.
>
>   3. It’s a pun in the same spirit as “GNU Hurd”.
>
>   4. We might even rename ‘deco’ to ‘herd’ because it’s the very command
>      that allows users to herd their daemons.
>
> Hope you like it.  :-)

I do!  I’m happy this issue has been solved.  It’s also nice that
“shepherd” can be pronounced and is not another abbreviation that has to
be spelled out.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: dmd’s new name
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-08  9:06     ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2016-01-08  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:
>>
>>> The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about
>>> 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu
>>> dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym?
>>
>> For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹.
>>
>> Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise.
>> We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion
>> among developers.
>
> You might remember this discussion from March 2015.
>
>  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00176.html
>
> I proposed to Richard Stallman that we change the name to “GNU Shepherd”
> and recently got the green light.
>
> Rationale:
>
>  1. A shepherd looks after sheep (or gnus ;-)), and GNU dmd looks after
>     daemons.
>
>  2. “Shepherd” ends with a ‘d’, which makes it a good name for a daemon.
>
>  3. It’s a pun in the same spirit as “GNU Hurd”.
>
>  4. We might even rename ‘deco’ to ‘herd’ because it’s the very command
>     that allows users to herd their daemons.
>
> Hope you like it.  :-)

The only disadvantage is it is long and in the text may get confused with
a ordinary word and I personaly always struggle with spelling.

> Ludo’.

I hope, besides the name change, there is going to be some more
development on Shepherd then...

Adam Pribyl

* Re: dmd’s new name
@ 2016-01-08 10:33       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> The only disadvantage is it is long and in the text may get confused
> with a ordinary word and I personaly always struggle with spelling.

Hopefully, you’ll rarely have to type it.  ;-)

> I hope, besides the name change, there is going to be some more
> development on Shepherd then...

Yup, it needs some love!

Ludo’.

* Re: dmd’s new name
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-16 14:22     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

The rename is ~80% complete.  You can get the code at:

  git://git.sv.gnu.org/shepherd.git

Remaining things and open issues:

  • Rename ‘deco’ to ‘herd’ (yay!).

  • Add a --enable-compat-symlinks configure options, enabled by default
    for the next few release, that installs dmd → shepherd and
    deco → herd symlinks.

  • Change configuration file from ~/.dmd.d/init.scm to
    ~/.config/shepherd/init.scm (ideally honor XDG variables.)  Same for
    the socket file name.

Thoughts?

Apart from this non-productive code ;-), I’d like to finalize the switch
to a pure sexp-based protocol, notably in light of
<http://bugs.gnu.org/22039>, and also to simplify i18n (messages should
be translated in the locale of the ‘herd’ user, not in that of the
daemon.)

Ideally I’d like to clean up i18n support so we can submit it to the
Translation Project.

Another thing would be to improve the user interfaces.  For instance, I
find that the output of ‘deco status’ is barely readable compared to
that of ‘systemctl status’.

Ideas?

Ludo’.

* Re: dmd D Programming Language compiler
@ 2016-01-28 10:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-28 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Walter Bright; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:

> On 3/17/2015 10:25 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi Walter,
>>
>> Apologies for the late reply.
>>
>> Walter Bright <walter@digitalmars.com> skribis:
>>
>>> The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about
>>> 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu
>>> dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym?
>> For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹.
>>
>> Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise.
>> We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion
>> among developers.
>
> Thanks for considering this. I appreciate it.

Just to let you know: we have finally released a renamed version of what
used to be known as GNU dmd:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-01/msg00958.html

The old web page is still there but will vanish soon.

Ludo’.

* Re: dmd D Programming Language compiler
@ 2016-01-29  2:22       ` Walter Bright
From: Walter Bright @ 2016-01-29  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Thank you!