Hi Walter, Apologies for the late reply. Walter Bright skribis: > The D programming language compiler has been called dmd since about > 2000 or so. In order to avoid confusion, may I request that the Gnu > dmd ("Daemons-managing Daemon") change its acronym? For the record, GNU’s dmd has been around since ~2003¹. Changing names is obviously an annoyance, technically and otherwise. We’re not opposed to the idea, but that would take a bit more discussion among developers. BTW, it is unfortunate that Digital Mars’ compiler back-end denies² its users essential freedoms to help each other (through redistribution), to adjust the code as they see fit, and to gain collective control of it and improve it. I hope you will reconsider this choice and choose a free software license. Thanks, Ludo’. ¹ (I added this section recently.) ² As per .