unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Video Conference
@ 2022-03-31 23:52 Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-03-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello,

From time to time, I think about audio/video mixer (.i.e. video conference software like BBB or Jitsi) , with the intension of making it highly modular that it can be freely remixed and reinvented by volunteer participants.

Is anyone interested?   Or is can you think about something that already exists?

Cheers,
Yasu

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-01 18:59 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2022-04-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo, Guix Devel

March 31, 2022 7:53 PM, "Yasuaki Kudo" <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> From time to time, I think about audio/video mixer (.i.e. video conference software like BBB or
> Jitsi) , with the intension of making it highly modular that it can be freely remixed and
> reinvented by volunteer participants.
>
> Is anyone interested? Or is can you think about something that already exists?

Your proposal sounds a little vague.  What are you hoping to accomplish that BBB or Jitsi
does not already do?

> Cheers,
> Yasu

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-02  4:26   ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-04-02  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

2 years ago, I joined meet.coop , a video conference service cooperative and explored the business potential in Japan.

The coop hosted BBB but the gap I discovered was that the potential customers in Japan would not be interested unless the service is customized to their exact needs - otherwise they preferred Zoom and Google meet.

So ability to to take the video conference service into minimalist components and then reassembling  is very important 😄

-Yasu

> On Apr 2, 2022, at 03:59, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>
> March 31, 2022 7:53 PM, "Yasuaki Kudo" <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> From time to time, I think about audio/video mixer (.i.e. video conference software like BBB or
>> Jitsi) , with the intension of making it highly modular that it can be freely remixed and
>> reinvented by volunteer participants.
>>
>> Is anyone interested? Or is can you think about something that already exists?
>
> Your proposal sounds a little vague.  What are you hoping to accomplish that BBB or Jitsi
> does not already do?
>

>> Cheers,
>> Yasu

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-02 18:34   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2022-04-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: Guix Devel

April 2, 2022 12:26 AM, "Yasuaki Kudo" <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2 years ago, I joined meet.coop , a video conference service cooperative and explored the business
> potential in Japan.
>
> The coop hosted BBB but the gap I discovered was that the potential customers in Japan would not be
> interested unless the service is customized to their exact needs - otherwise they preferred Zoom
> and Google meet.
>
> So ability to to take the video conference service into minimalist components and then reassembling
> is very important 😄

Sounds like a worthwhile project.  You can always reach out to the BBB or jitsi developers
and see what they think of your proposal.

> -Yasu
>
>> On Apr 2, 2022, at 03:59, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>>
>> March 31, 2022 7:53 PM, "Yasuaki Kudo" <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> From time to time, I think about audio/video mixer (.i.e. video conference software like BBB or
>>> Jitsi) , with the intension of making it highly modular that it can be freely remixed and
>>> reinvented by volunteer participants.
>>>
>>> Is anyone interested? Or is can you think about something that already exists?
>>
>> Your proposal sounds a little vague. What are you hoping to accomplish that BBB or Jitsi
>> does not already do?
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Yasu

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-03 21:14     ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-04-03 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: Guix Devel

Well I thought it would be easier to build it natively on Guix from "scratch".

For example, the BBB programs looked almost impossible to disassemble to components - at least it looked like it would be even harder than doing it all over again.

But the question of what the "scratch" means...  it seems there are a few components - WebRTC, audio codec, video codec, etc.

And there are questions over whether to really mix the signals on server (for audio) or just bundling all separate lines of communications (for video), etc

I would like to taken advantage of Guix to try different mixes and experiment 😄

> On Apr 3, 2022, at 03:34, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>
> April 2, 2022 12:26 AM, "Yasuaki Kudo" <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2 years ago, I joined meet.coop , a video conference service cooperative and explored the business
>> potential in Japan.
>>
>> The coop hosted BBB but the gap I discovered was that the potential customers in Japan would not be
>> interested unless the service is customized to their exact needs - otherwise they preferred Zoom
>> and Google meet.
>>
>> So ability to to take the video conference service into minimalist components and then reassembling
>> is very important 😄
>>

> Sounds like a worthwhile project.  You can always reach out to the BBB or jitsi developers
> and see what they think of your proposal.
>
>> -Yasu

>>> Your proposal sounds a little vague. What are you hoping to accomplish that BBB or Jitsi
>>> does not already do?

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-03 21:46       ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-04-03 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: Guix Devel

and this thing WebRTC itself looks like a beast of its own...  This is a perfect subject for Guix to handle? 😄

https://github.com/webrtc-rs/webrtc

> On Apr 4, 2022, at 06:14, Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:
>
> Well I thought it would be easier to build it natively on Guix from "scratch".
>
> For example, the BBB programs looked almost impossible to disassemble to components - at least it looked like it would be even harder than doing it all over again.
>
> But the question of what the "scratch" means...  it seems there are a few components - WebRTC, audio codec, video codec, etc.
>
> And there are questions over whether to really mix the signals on server (for audio) or just bundling all separate lines of communications (for video), etc
>
> I would like to taken advantage of Guix to try different mixes and experiment 😄
>
>>> On Apr 3, 2022, at 03:34, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>>>
>>> April 2, 2022 12:26 AM, "Yasuaki Kudo" <yasu@yasuaki.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 2 years ago, I joined meet.coop , a video conference service cooperative and explored the business
>>> potential in Japan.
>>>
>>> The coop hosted BBB but the gap I discovered was that the potential customers in Japan would not be
>>> interested unless the service is customized to their exact needs - otherwise they preferred Zoom
>>> and Google meet.
>>>
>>> So ability to to take the video conference service into minimalist components and then reassembling
>>> is very important 😄
>>>

>> Sounds like a worthwhile project.  You can always reach out to the BBB or jitsi developers
>> and see what they think of your proposal.
>>
>>> -Yasu

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-04  2:58 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-04-04  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: Guix Devel

Disclaimer: My employer spearheads the development of Jami.

Hello,

Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> From time to time, I think about audio/video mixer (.i.e. video
> conference software like BBB or Jitsi) , with the intension of making
> it highly modular that it can be freely remixed and reinvented by
> volunteer participants.
>
> Is anyone interested?   Or is can you think about something that already exists?

You may be interested in trying out Jami; there's a package for it in
Guix that works rather well, and there's also a jami service that is
useful to easily keep a rendezvous point online on servers, for example.
I've made available such a rendezvous point to the community, feel free
to try it; it's reachable at 'rdv-jami-guix'.

About making it modular; I know there's now a plugin system in Jami that
enable people to author plugins to implement things such as changing the
background (green screen), applying a blur filter, etc.  The
architecture of the software also makes it easy to create new clients
for it, as the core library is a distinct package (libjami).

Hope that helps,

Maxim

* Re: Video Conference
@ 2022-04-05 11:58   ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-04-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Guix Devel

Yes it does help and thank you Maxim!

My almost only hope for a viable citizens-driven Free Software development hinges on clean separation of specification and implementation, modularity and composability.   Workers in our crazy economies have so little spare time (unless they are rich) - therefore, we need to create the software development model optimized for spare time programming😄

-Yasu