all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
To: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
Cc: "Po Lu" <luangruo@yahoo.com>,
	"João Távora" <joaotavora@gmail.com>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master 78fc49407b8 1/3: Improve filling of ChangeLog entries
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:39:44 +0200	[thread overview]

On 31/01/2024 20:45, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Dmitry.
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 19:05:57 +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

>>> None.
>
>> One cannot name a package with bus factor of 1 and say it has plenty of
>> people willing to maintain it.
>
> What's a "bus factor" in this context?

The smallest number of developers who would need to mysteriously
disappear, for it to become a problem for the project.

> It would appear that one person,
> me, is indeed enough to maintain it.  The rate of bugs reported for it
> has sunk to near zero, possibly because of the release of the tree sitter
> C Mode in Emacs 29.1.

That's good.

>> I don't mean to criticize your work (not knowing the exact tradeoffs),
>> but it's plainly a bad example.
>
> Bad example of what?

Of a body of Lisp code maintained by different developers, who all
accepted (and possibly chosen) its current style, thereby justifying it
as something usable as a standard, rather than only a personal preference.

> [ .... ]
>
>>> After several days of struggling with named-let, cl-labels, and friends,
>>> I vote for the plain Lisp, even if it does need more lines to express.
>>> It is simply less work.
>
>> I've never used named-let, and very rarely cl-labels.
>
> I've never used either, but still need to debug them.  :-(

edebug usually helps, no?

>> The latter is a very simple idea, though: create a bunch of local
>> function definitions. Like nested functions in Python, for example.
>
> It's a complicated macro.  Why is it needed at all?  Is there anything
> using it that couldn't be conveniently written in plain Lisp?

Having local variable bindings with lambda values is a little messier in
comparison. For example, the use of cl-labels in
'comp-collect-rev-post-order' seems easy to read and thus justified.
Also, it allows having mutually recursive functions, which won't be an
option in sequential bindings (but I don't see this property taken
advantage of much).