all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
To: "João Távora" <joaotavora@gmail.com>
Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master 78fc49407b8 1/3: Improve filling of ChangeLog entries
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 19:19:14 +0800	[thread overview]

Joao, the diatribe was unnecessary (and I'm not certain I disagree with
most of it), since there's a world of difference between our two
perspectives.  I don't doubt that these particular `cl-loop' or `pcase'
forms are simple to understand, provided that the reader takes the ten
or so minutes to absorb the relevant portions of their documentation.

My issue with such forms is that spending those ten minutes every time I
fix a bug is incompatible with my workflow of choice for mostly
avocational projects such as Emacs, where I make a mental note of tasks
that interest me, and pick the least time-consuming of them to complete
whenever free time (which, surprising as it may be, is scarce) does come
my way.

That being my MO, it is most convenient for me to rewrite such functions
in a straightforward fashion rather than for elegance, or macroexpand
them as I did in parts of this change, and since the important metric at
the end of the day is the correctness of the resulting code, it is
harmless for that code to be more verbose than strictly required.

Which is also the reason I requested no more than that you not install
your version now, leaving the door open to future improvement on your
terms once I finish making it work.