all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* text formating
@ 2023-01-29 12:06 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-01-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 756 bytes --]

Hi,

I read the Emacs manual and made an excerpt of keybindings etc for myself.

I would like to have a text editing of the headings e.g.:
  to increase the font, may be to make them bold.

What options do I have as an emacs newbie?

I would like to use this file regularly, so in creating a LaTex file I
would always have the LaTex formating visible, which is not so nice.

I don't need to print it for the moment, then through LaTex and
converting it to HTML etc would surely make a nice printout.

Could I use my "fundamental enriched text" in org-mode? , would I have
the possibility to increase the fonts of some words and headings e.g.?

The text formating in Emacs is not so easy as I thought.

Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-01-30 20:28 ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2023-01-30 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> Hi,

Hai

> I read the Emacs manual and made an excerpt of keybindings etc for myself.
> What options do I have as an emacs newbie?
>
> I would like to have a text editing of the headings e.g.:
>  to increase the font, may be to make them bold.

I'd use org-mode, for me its header lines are sufficiently emphasised
(in colour and in certain Emacs themes also with different fonts and
sizes).

* Header1
** Header2

> I would like to use this file regularly, so in creating a LaTex file I
> would always have the LaTex formating visible, which is not so nice.

Structural LaTeX (and Html) commands (\chapter or so) are provided by
Orgs markup language.

"Short range" latex formatting is done with other markup rules, like
*bold*, _underline_, .. , they are not so intrusive as the latex
commands.

For heavier latex formatting you might put them in Orgs latex src blocks
which you can fold to hide the "ugly" stuff.

> I don't need to print it for the moment, then through LaTex and
> converting it to HTML etc would surely make a nice printout.

org-mode's latex export and html export

> Could I use my "fundamental enriched text" in org-mode? , would I have
> the possibility to increase the fonts of some words and headings e.g.?

In my opinion org-mode files don't need extra text enrichment besides
its own markup rules.

> The text formating in Emacs is not so easy as I thought.

I hope you'll appreciate and enjoy working with "pure" text. ;-)

If you're interested I can provide you with real world examples.

  Dieter

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-01-31  7:34 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-01-31  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2023-01-29 15:08]:
> I would like to have a text editing of the headings e.g.: to
> increase the font, may be to make them bold.

You probably wish to have printed representation with increased font,
or bold text, and other markup.

Emacs is text editor, and unlike desktop publishing sofware, it may
visually represent bold fonts, enlarged fonts, but it is not WYSIWYG
or What You See Is What You Get.

You would need to use some processor, to process your markup.

Normally you would use this workflow:
-------------------------------------

1. Edit text

2. Invoke some processor to convert to some other format and file

3. Preview the new file

> What options do I have as an emacs newbie?

You have got Markdown, Asciidoc, Kotl, Org mode, Jemdoc,
reStructuredText, txt2tags, Djot, Wikitext, LaTeX and other options.

> I would like to use this file regularly, so in creating a LaTex file
> I would always have the LaTex formating visible, which is not so
> nice.

I understand that. You need something simpler.

- Markdown can be used to convert to HTML but by using `pandoc' also
  to many other formats, such as PDF

- Asciidoc is more expressive than Markdown, can give PDF and HTML

- Org is Emacs built-in, very easy to learn and expressive

> I don't need to print it for the moment, then through LaTex and
> converting it to HTML etc would surely make a nice printout.

Using Markdown or Org is very simple. There exists already
`markdown-mode'

I use following function to process text with Markdown.

(defun rcd-markdown (text &rest args)
  "Markdown processing"
  (let ((markdown (executable-find "markdown")))
    (cond (markdown
	   (cond (text
		  (apply 'rcd-command-output-from-input markdown (append (list text) args)))
		 (t ""))
	   (t (user-error "Command `markdown' not available"))))))

And I use

Discount – a C implementation of the Markdown markup language:
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/discount/

for reasons that it is more expressive, it provides table of contents
and valid HTML, and is fastest.

Then you could the following preview function:

(defun rcd-markdown-preview ()
  "Preview Markdown."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((output (rcd-markdown (buffer-string)))
	 (file (concat (buffer-file-name) "-MD.html")))
    (with-temp-file file (insert output))
    (browse-url file)))

Then you bind that function to some keyy, like C-c a

Then while writing, you only press `C-c a' and browser opens showing
you the HTML.

You could learn here:
https://www.markdownguide.org/

Then you got Emacs Org mode, you can learn it by using Org manual, it
is similar to Markdown with many features.

> Could I use my "fundamental enriched text" in org-mode? , would I
> have the possibility to increase the fonts of some words and
> headings e.g.?

Enriched text is not for that purpose. it is only text, enriched, and
I guess it was meant for e-mails. But yes, I suppose that it is
possible to extend enriched text to make universal output of it, like
from enriched text to PDF, that should be possible, but such program
does not exist that I know.

> The text formating in Emacs is not so easy as I thought.

Beautiful and highly expressive documents have been made by Emacs,
once you start creating it, it will become easier, as with
understanding and training comes the result.

To make font larger in Org mode you just use:

\large{My text here}

Then you have Asciidoctor:

Asciidoctor | A fast, open source text processor and publishing toolchain for converting AsciiDoc content to HTML5, DocBook, PDF, and other formats.:
https://asciidoctor.org/

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-01-31 11:23   ` Ulrich Deiters
From: Ulrich Deiters @ 2023-01-31 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can offer ArchiTeX, a simple system that abuses Emacs/PSGML as
a smart text editor that lets you handle text options (fonts,
list layout etc.) via XML tags, and then, at a mouse click,
converts the document to LaTeX and then to PDF. If you run
a PDF viewer parallel to Emacs, you see what you get.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Greetings,

Ulrich

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-01-31 12:43     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-01-31 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Deiters; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Ulrich Deiters <ulrich.deiters@uni-koeln.de> [2023-01-31 14:25]:
> I can offer ArchiTeX, a simple system that abuses Emacs/PSGML as
> a smart text editor that lets you handle text options (fonts,
> list layout etc.) via XML tags, and then, at a mouse click,
> converts the document to LaTeX and then to PDF. If you run
> a PDF viewer parallel to Emacs, you see what you get.

Do you maybe mean AucTEX?

Or ArchiTex? Where is that?

--

@ 2023-02-02 13:52   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4330 bytes --]

Hi Jean,

thank you very much for the detailed explanation. It is very helpful.

I don't understand why until now nobody made in Emacs a
WYSIWYG Mode.

It would be so much easier, especially for newbies in emacs.
You could see immeadiately what you changed and what you want.

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-02-02 14:30     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-02-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu,  2 Feb 2023 13:52:22 +0000
> From: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>
>
> I don't understand why until now nobody made in Emacs a
> WYSIWYG Mode.

They did: it's called Enriched mode.

* RE: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-02 15:40       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > I don't understand why until now nobody made in Emacs a
> > WYSIWYG Mode.
>
> They did: it's called Enriched mode.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Enriched-Text.html

In Emacs, that's `C-h r enriched mode RET'.

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-02 20:12       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Text-Width: 70

* Eli Zaretskii <<eliz@gnu.org> [2023-02-02 17:31]:
> > Date: Thu,  2 Feb 2023 13:52:22 +0000
> > From: Gottfried <<gottfried@posteo.de>
> >
> > I don't understand why until now nobody made in Emacs a
> > WYSIWYG Mode.
>
> They did: it's called Enriched mode.

By reference from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG

In computing, WYSIWYG (/ˈwɪziwɪɡ/ WIZ-ee-wig), an acronym for What You
See Is What You Get,[1] is a system in which editing software allows
content to be edited in a form that resembles its appearance when
printed or displayed as a finished product,[2] such as a printed
document, web page, or slide presentation. WYSIWYG implies a user
interface that allows the user to view something very similar to the
end result while the document is being created.[3] In general, WYSIWYG
implies the ability to directly manipulate the layout of a document
without having to type or remember names of layout commands.

Enriched mode is far from there.

At least user should be able to get same printed representation even
if font sizes are not changed.

So far Emacs cannot print Unicode and smilies that I know.

WYSIWYW, what you see is what you want, used to describe GNU TeXmacs
editing platform.[22] The abbreviation clarifies that unlike in
WYSIWYG editors, the user is able to customize WYSIWYW platforms to
act (possibly in part) as manual typesetting programs such as TeX or
troff.

Maybe that one fits better to Enriched mode, but I do not know good
printing representation for it.

--

@ 2023-02-03  7:30         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-02-03  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 23:12:29 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> * Eli Zaretskii <<eliz@gnu.org> [2023-02-02 17:31]:
> > > Date: Thu,  2 Feb 2023 13:52:22 +0000
> > > From: Gottfried <<gottfried@posteo.de>
> > >
> > > I don't understand why until now nobody made in Emacs a
> > > WYSIWYG Mode.
> >
> > They did: it's called Enriched mode.
>
> By reference from:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG
>
> In computing, WYSIWYG (/ˈwɪziwɪɡ/ WIZ-ee-wig), an acronym for What You
> See Is What You Get,[1] is a system in which editing software allows
> content to be edited in a form that resembles its appearance when
> printed or displayed as a finished product,[2] such as a printed
> document, web page, or slide presentation. WYSIWYG implies a user
> interface that allows the user to view something very similar to the
> end result while the document is being created.[3] In general, WYSIWYG
> implies the ability to directly manipulate the layout of a document
> without having to type or remember names of layout commands.

Thank you for the lecture.  I surely needed it.

> Enriched mode is far from there.
>
> At least user should be able to get same printed representation even
> if font sizes are not changed.

If you are talking specifically about WYSIWYG printing, then yes, we
still aren't where we should be, especially with non-ASCII text;
patches welcome.  But the OP didn't mention that, so this is not
necessarily what was the issue.

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-03  9:08           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-03  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2023-02-03 10:33]:
> If you are talking specifically about WYSIWYG printing, then yes, we
> still aren't where we should be, especially with non-ASCII text;
> patches welcome.  But the OP didn't mention that, so this is not
> necessarily what was the issue.

Here is how Enriched Text may become word processor with pleasant
result:

1. Enriched mode, with some addition of font sizes or similar

2. By converting Enriched Text to Pango markup

3. By using Pango markup in Emacs Lisp program

   Pango – 1.0: Text Attributes and Markup:
   https://docs.gtk.org/Pango/pango_markup.html

   Pango Markup:
   https://shinmera.github.io/pango-markup/

4. By using `paps' command, I have made package for it, but it may be
   used by various methods:

   GNU Emacs package: rcd-paps.el:
   https://gnu.support/gnu-emacs/packages/GNU-Emacs-package-rcd-paps-el-76862.html

5. By converting on the fly the Enriched Text to Pango markup

6. By using Pango markup to produce printable documents with `paps'

The above workflow can produce visually pleasant text with all
attributes how Pango markup has it, provided that Enriched mode get
translation to Pango markup.

Could somebody help with making of such package? For me, I do not know
exactly where to start.

Michael how about some power from North?

--

@ 2023-02-03 17:24             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-02-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> If you are talking specifically about WYSIWYG printing,
>> then yes, we still aren't where we should be, especially
>> with non-ASCII text; patches welcome. But the OP didn't
>> mention that, so this is not necessarily what was
>> the issue.
>
> Here is how Enriched Text may become word processor with
> pleasant result

Most people are from the opposite side of the spectrum, i.e.
text editor, not word processor.

Here is where you should look

  https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-word-processor

In principle, I don't see why Emacs cannot be like that as
well for those whow opt-in on it, but in practise it's an
uphill battle - I don't see us every getting there, for the
said reason, most people who are here or come here do that for
the opposite, the text/programmer's editor side of it.

Jean, what features is it exactly that you miss?

For example, that they have in LibreOffice Writer?

Because, if you focus on those, maybe you have better luck
getting them individually so to speak.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-04 15:24               ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-04 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2023-02-04 17:53]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> If you are talking specifically about WYSIWYG printing,
> >> then yes, we still aren't where we should be, especially
> >> with non-ASCII text; patches welcome. But the OP didn't
> >> mention that, so this is not necessarily what was
> >> the issue.
> >
> > Here is how Enriched Text may become word processor with
> > pleasant result
>
> Most people are from the opposite side of the spectrum, i.e.
> text editor, not word processor.

You have sent references to non-free software, so those I can't use.

There is much better free software in GNU/Linux then those referenced.

Finally there are also those such as What You See Is What You Mean --
like the beautiful LyX. There is TeXmacs too.

LyX | LyX – The Document Processor:
https://www.lyx.org/

Welcome to GNU TeXmacs (FSF GNU project):
https://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/home/welcome.en.html

There is AbiWord and similar others.

But as I have explained, Emacs can be made to print all styles at
least similar, and in colors, how they are on screen, by using
translator program that would translate from Emacs properties to
Pango.

If you know how to provide conclusive reader function, that would
isolate each property, then I guess that would be already something to
start making translation functions to Pango markup.

Printing is already solved with `paps'.

Basically, that is so close, in my opinion.

But one would not be setting up margins, spacing, that all can be done
by using `paps' not Emacs directly.

Font sizes, colors, types, fonts, all that can be translated to Pango.

--

@ 2023-02-04 21:44                 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-02-04 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> Most people are from the opposite side of the spectrum,
>> i.e. text editor, not word processor.
>
> You have sent references to non-free software, so those
> I can't use.

?

LibreOffice is FOSS:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

And supposedly "WYSIWYG" word processors, man ...

--

@ 2023-02-07 17:25   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4919 bytes --]

Hi Jean,

a side question:
I installed markdown and Asccidoc in my distro GNU Guix, in order to try
it out.

but markdown can be used only in installing "ReText" or "ghostwriter"

How do you use them in Emacs?

The same with Asccidoc.

How can I bind that function to some key like C-c a ?

> (defun rcd-markdown-preview ()
>>    "Preview Markdown."
>>    (interactive)
>>    (let* ((output (rcd-markdown (buffer-string)))
>> 	 (file (concat (buffer-file-name) "-MD.html")))
>>      (with-temp-file file (insert output))
>>      (browse-url file)))

> Then you bind that function to some keyy, like C-c a

thanks for help

--

@ 2023-02-07 22:28     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-07 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2023-02-07 20:26]:
> Hi Jean,
>
> a side question:
> I installed markdown and Asccidoc in my distro GNU Guix, in order to try it
> out.

> but markdown can be used only in installing "ReText" or "ghostwriter"
>

> How do you use them in Emacs?

Search for discount markdown, it has table of contents feature, and
valid HTML, and is fastest.

You can install markdown-mode for Emacs.

markdown is basically used on command line, in shell, like:

echo "## Hello" | markdown
<h2>Hello</h2>

Emacs helps you to make that conversion easily. markdown-mode has
preview already.

Can you install markdown-mode?

> The same with Asccidoc.

I have made functions so I just press single key for conversion.

> How can I bind that function to some key like C-c a ?
>
> > (defun rcd-markdown-preview ()
> > >    "Preview Markdown."
> > >    (interactive)
> > >    (let* ((output (rcd-markdown (buffer-string)))
> > > 	 (file (concat (buffer-file-name) "-MD.html")))
> > >      (with-temp-file file (insert output))
> > >      (browse-url file)))

You can do following:

(keymap-set markdown-mode-map "C-c a" #'rcd-markdown-preview)

You need Emacs 29.1 for that function to work.

I have just tried it, it works well.

--

@ 2023-02-08 16:49       ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-08 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1911 bytes --]

Hi Jean,
I installed markdown-mode in Emacs, but I have Emacs 28.2, so I can’t
set the keymap for C-c a.

I also installed Pandoc and emacs-pandoc-mode

I opended emacs and evoked markdown-mode and it opened my file in
markdown-mode. So at least it works.

So now there is only the question how to use it.

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-02-08 19:37         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-08 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2023-02-08 19:50]:
> I installed markdown-mode in Emacs, but I have Emacs 28.2, so I can’t set
> the keymap for C-c a.

Then you use:

(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)

So like this:

(define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)

> I also installed Pandoc and emacs-pandoc-mode

Pandoc is good for various conversions of documents.

For example markdown to PDF, it can work I guess. I have many
functions for pandoc too.

> I opended emacs and evoked markdown-mode and it opened my file in
> markdown-mode. So at least it works.

Good, now just to define key to get preview. Some people make their
notes in markdown. It is more compatible with mobile editors on mobile
devices then Org mode.

I seriously consider using Enriched Mode as it is more visual, just
that I make `paps` work with it.

--

@ 2023-02-08 20:18           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-08 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, Gottfried; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> (define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)
                                       ^^^^^^

FWIW - There is no optional REMOVE arg for
Emacs through the latest release (Emacs 28.2).
Perhaps it was added for Emacs 29.

* Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-09 14:59           ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1857 bytes --]

Hi Jean,

thanks for your help.
I added this line to my init.el file

> (define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)
but running emacs again it said:
Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
‘/home/gfp/.config/emacs/init.el’:

Symbol's value as variable is void: markdown-mode-map

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
showing Disable logging
Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-02-09 15:27             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

> Symbol's value as variable is void: markdown-mode-map

If that's the correct variable for the keymap
you want, just make sure you load the file
that defines that variable (keymap) before
you try to  use that variable

;; if `markdown.el' is the file name:
(require 'markdown)

* Re: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-09 16:59               ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 692 bytes --]

Hi Drew,

thanks for helping

> ;; if `markdown.el' is the file name:
>> (require 'markdown)

I have got a "markdown-mode.el" file

but I didn’t find a "markdown-el" file.

So if I understand you right,

I have to put this in my init.el file:

(require "markdown-mode)

Am I right?

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-02-09 17:13                 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-09 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

> > ;; if `markdown.el' is the file name:
> >> (require 'markdown)
>

> I have got a "markdown-mode.el" file
> but I didn’t find a "markdown-el" file.
> So if I understand you right,
> I have to put this in my init.el file:
>
> (require "markdown-mode)
>
> Am I right?

Yes, that's right.
I misguessed the library name.

* Re: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-09 18:10                   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1281 bytes --]

Hi Drew,

I put this in my init.el file

;;(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)
(require "markdown-mode)
(define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)
when starting emacs
the message came up:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
‘/home/gfp/.config/emacs/init.el’:

End of file during parsing: /home/gfp/.config/emacs/init.el

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
showing Disable logging

Did I put it in the right order?
Or any other mistake?

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-02-09 18:26                     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2023-02-09 21:10]:
> Hi Drew,
>
> I put this in my init.el file
>
> ;;(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)
> (require "markdown-mode)
> (define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)

You have to use single apostrophe:
(require 'markdown-mode)

--

@ 2023-02-09 19:11                     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-09 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Jean Louis

> I put this in my init.el file
>
> ;;(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)
> (require "markdown-mode)
> (define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)
> .
> when starting emacs
> the message came up:
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/home/gfp/.config/emacs/init.el’:
>
> End of file during parsing: /home/gfp/.config/emacs/init.el
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> showing Disable logging

> Did I put it in the right order?
> Or any other mistake?

Yes, right order: load the library, then use it.

Something in your init file doesn't _parse_.  Most likely you're missing a right paren or something.  Use `M-x check-parens' in your init file.

You can put (setq debug-on-error t) at the start of your init file, or customize it to t.

You can start Emacs using the switch --debug-init, as the error msg suggested.

See also https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Error-Debugging.html
___

In general, when your init file has a problem, consider _bisecting_ it, to find the culprit.  Bisecting is a binary search - it's fast.  You can use `M-x comment-region` to comment out 1/2, then 1/4, 1/8, 1/16,... of your init file.  With C-u it UNcomments one level of commenting.

* RE: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-09 19:12                       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, Gottfried; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > ;;(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)
> > (require "markdown-mode)
> > (define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)
>
> You have to use single apostrophe:
> (require 'markdown-mode)

;-)  I didn't even notice that ".

* Re: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-10  4:18                         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-10  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2023-02-09 22:13]:
> > > ;;(define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF &optional REMOVE)
> > > (require "markdown-mode)
> > > (define-key markdown-mode-map (kbd "C-c a") #'rcd-markdown-preview)
> >
> > You have to use single apostrophe:
> > (require 'markdown-mode)
>
> ;-)  I didn't even notice that ".

And I wondered why.

--

@ 2023-02-11 15:25                       ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-11 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1959 bytes --]

Hi Drew,

thanks for helping me.
Now it works.
and I learned a lot.

How do you underline some words?
I don’t know how to do it?

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-02-11 16:10                         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-02-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 03:25:55PM +0000, Gottfried wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> thanks for helping me.
> Now it works.
> and I learned a lot.
>
> How do you underline some words?

In Org, it's _underline_. In ASCIIDoctor it is (I think!) <u>underline</u>

In real life, you take a pencil... ;-)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-11 16:56                         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-02-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, Jean Louis, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> How do you underline some words?
> I don’t know how to do it?

1. Some modes use markup of some kind, whether HTML, XML, TeX/LaTeX, Org, or whatever.  Check the doc for such modes, for what markup to use to get the effect of underlined text.

2. Otherwise (i.e., more generally), you use Emacs faces to change the appearance of buffer text, either by applying text properties (e.g. property `face') to characters in the buffer or by applying overlay properties (e.g. property `face') to buffer positions.

One attribute for a face is `underline'.

Example: you use `M-x customize-face RET font-lock-comment-face RET', then in the Customize buffer you (show and then) change the value of attribute Underline to On, then change the State of the face for the current session to accept your change (edit): Set for current session. That changes occurrences of face `font-lock-comment-face' so that text with that face is underlined.

3. In enriched-text mode, you can use `M-o u' to apply face `underline' to any text.

Read the manual (`C-h r'), about faces, font-locking, and faces in enriched text (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Enriched-Faces.html).

* Re: [External] : Re: text formating
@ 2023-02-11 19:17                           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-02-11 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> [2023-02-11 19:12]:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 03:25:55PM +0000, Gottfried wrote:
> > Hi Drew,
> >
> > thanks for helping me.
> > Now it works.
> > and I learned a lot.
> >
> > How do you underline some words?
>
> In Org, it's _underline_. In ASCIIDoctor it is (I think!)
> <u>underline</u>

Is also _underline_

AsciiDoc Syntax Quick Reference | Asciidoctor Docs:
https://docs.asciidoctor.org/asciidoc/latest/syntax-quick-reference/