* Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18  9:59 Heime
From: Heime @ 2023-08-18  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

How can I have a buffer taken out from a frame and make a new frame
using elisp code ?

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18 10:56 ` Christopher Dimech
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2023-08-18 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime, Christopher Dimech; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

>> How can I have a buffer taken out from a frame and make a new frame
>> using elisp code ?
>
> (defun detach-window ()
>   "Sends the selected window to a new frame."
>
>   (interactive)
>
>   (let* ( (window (selected-window))
>           (buf (window-buffer window))
>           (frame (make-frame)) )
>
>     (select-frame frame)
>     (switch-to-buffer buf)
>     (delete-window window)))

Or you simply use switch-to-buffer-other-frame, aka C-x 5 b.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18 13:12 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-18 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 at 17:02, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> How can I have a buffer taken out from a frame and make a new frame
> using elisp code ?

It does not make sense to talk about taking a buffer out from a frame.
Buffers exist within the core of Emacs independently of any frames. A
buffer can be displayed in zero or more windows, and one or more
windows are part of a frame.

                      1 ┌───────┐
        ┌───────────────┤ Emacs ├────────────────┐
        │               └───────┘ 1              │
        │ 1..*                                   │ 0..*
    ┌───┴───┐      1..* ┌────────┐         1 ┌───┴────┐
    │ Frame ├───────────┤ Window ├───────────┤ Buffer │
    └───────┘ 1         └────────┘ 0..*      └────────┘

Therefore, you create a new frame, it automatically has a window, and
you arrange for that window to display your buffer. Optionally, you
bury the buffer in the original window so that it displays something
else, or delete the original window. (See code by Christopher in the
other reply.)

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18 13:41   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2023-08-18 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

From: PierGianLuca @ 2023-08-18 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Heime,

Just wanted to say I completely understand you. I've had to deal with similar conundrums for many years. My personal experience is that (in my case) there's simply no best rule. I've had situations in which I needed copies of a buffer in different frames (especially if the frames live in different virtual desktops), or copies within the same frame but different windows; different buffers in different frames, different buffers in the same frame, and whatnot...

For me the optimal solution has been to set up quicker keyboard shortcuts (avoiding all longer "C-x ..." ones) to ease up this kind of configuration changes.

Cool if you find a standard solution for the kind of work you do.

I'm really happy for the extreme flexibility that Emacs gives in this regard!

Cheers,
Luca

@ 2023-08-18 14:10       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2023-08-18 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PierGianLuca; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Just wanted to say I completely understand you. I've had to deal with similar
> conundrums for many years. My personal experience is that (in my case) there's
> simply no best rule. I've had situations in which I needed copies of a buffer
> in different frames (especially if the frames live in different virtual desktops),
> or copies within the same frame but different windows; different buffers in different
> frames, different buffers in the same frame, and whatnot...

Then, one should have the capability to have a number of possibilities.

> For me the optimal solution has been to set up quicker keyboard shortcuts
> (avoiding all longer "C-x ..." ones) to ease up this kind of configuration changes.
>
> Cool if you find a standard solution for the kind of work you do.

Perhaps as you say, I might require different possibilities in future.
By detach I usually mean "send it away", meaning that the buffer is
sent away to a new frame, leaving nothing behind.

One can have multiple windows of the same buffer, is that correct ?
Can one remove all windows showing same buffer in some frame ?

> I'm really happy for the extreme flexibility that Emacs gives in this regard!
>
> Cheers,
> Luca

* RE: [External] : Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18 14:33         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-08-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime, PierGianLuca; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> One can have multiple windows of the same buffer, is that correct ?

You're well into Emacs Lisp now, but you
haven't gotten a good view of the basics
of Emacs thingies and their use.

You really owe it to _yourself_ to read
some introduction to Emacs.  There are
zillions - you don't have to read the
Emacs manual (but that's a good resource).

One place to start is Emacs Wiki.  There
you find info like you find here - info
from other users, presented in ways they
think might help.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbie

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearningEmacs

https://www.emacswiki.org

(You're welcome.)

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18 14:36         ` PierGianLuca
From: PierGianLuca @ 2023-08-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 230818 16:10, Heime wrote:
> Perhaps as you say, I might require different possibilities in future.

Or perhaps not. It's very case-dependent.

> By detach I usually mean "send it away", meaning that the buffer is
> sent away to a new frame, leaving nothing behind.

I have F12 bound to 'make-frame-command (also C-x52), which opens the buffer I'm in into a new frame – but also leaves it in the previous frame/window.

But you could bound it to 'tear-off-window instead. This would move the buffer to a new frame and close its window in the previous frame (only if there are also other windows there).

> One can have multiple windows of the same buffer, is that correct ?

Yes, even within the same frame. Very useful for example when you have to compare the beginning and end of a long file.

> Can one remove all windows showing same buffer in some frame ?

This I don't know how to do right now. But I'm sure that it can be achieved, worst case by defining some lisp function. 'kill-buffer-and-window only eliminates one of the windows showing the buffer; if there are others, they will stay but will show other buffers.

Cheers,
Luca

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-18 16:38           ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PierGianLuca; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 at 21:36, PierGianLuca <luca@magnaspesmeretrix.org> wrote:

> > One can have multiple windows of the same buffer, is that correct ?
>
> Yes, even within the same frame. Very useful for example when you have to compare the beginning and end of a long file.

Compare, not so much; but in many programming languages it is very
useful to keep one window overlooking the import statements or
#include directives while working on the actual code in another
window.

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-24 16:01   ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-08-24 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 at 17:02, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I have a buffer taken out from a frame and make a new frame
>> using elisp code ?
>
> It does not make sense to talk about taking a buffer out from a frame.
> Buffers exist within the core of Emacs independently of any frames. A
> buffer can be displayed in zero or more windows, and one or more
> windows are part of a frame.
>
>                       1 ┌───────┐
>         ┌───────────────┤ Emacs ├────────────────┐
>         │               └───────┘ 1              │
>         │ 1..*                                   │ 0..*
>     ┌───┴───┐      1..* ┌────────┐         1 ┌───┴────┐
>     │ Frame ├───────────┤ Window ├───────────┤ Buffer │
>     └───────┘ 1         └────────┘ 0..*      └────────┘

Have you been drawing your helpful diagrams using Emacs’s ability to
insert individual graphic characters (for example, ┌, ┴, ┤), or is there
a package that you can recommend that allows for describing the
diagrams, and then draws them?

It would be helpful for many people who ask question and who provide
answers if they were able to (easily) draw diagrams to illustrate their
words.

Thank you in advance.

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-24 16:13     ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2023-08-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: Yuri Khan, help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 11:01 AM tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you been drawing your helpful diagrams using Emacs’s ability to
> insert individual graphic characters (for example, ┌, ┴, ┤), or is there
> a package that you can recommend that allows for describing the
> diagrams, and then draws them?

That one looked like planuml, to me.

Built-in to Emacs you can also find `artist-mode', in case you haven't
played with that already,

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-24 16:20     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-24 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 at 23:01, tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com> wrote:

> >                       1 ┌───────┐
> >         ┌───────────────┤ Emacs ├────────────────┐
> >         │               └───────┘ 1              │
> >         │ 1..*                                   │ 0..*
> >     ┌───┴───┐      1..* ┌────────┐         1 ┌───┴────┐
> >     │ Frame ├───────────┤ Window ├───────────┤ Buffer │
> >     └───────┘ 1         └────────┘ 0..*      └────────┘
> >

> Have you been drawing your helpful diagrams using Emacs’s ability to
> insert individual graphic characters (for example, ┌, ┴, ┤), or is there
> a package that you can recommend that allows for describing the
> diagrams, and then draws them?

I built an Emacs reimplementation of the line drawing workflow I
remember from MS-DOS-based Multi-Edit and DOS Navigator. (You
basically hold down Shift and move point with the arrows, and it draws
over where you move, joining lines as necessary.)

Unfortunately, it’s not currently published, and it has a few known bugs.

* RE: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-24 17:23       ` Richard Kerry via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Richard Kerry via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-08-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

As someone not using monospaced fonts these diagrams are somewhat scrambled for me as the vertical lines don't meet up.

Regards,
Richard.

@ 2023-08-25 20:24       ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-08-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

>> Have you been drawing your helpful diagrams using Emacs’s ability to
>> insert individual graphic characters (for example, ┌, ┴, ┤), or is there
>> a package that you can recommend that allows for describing the
>> diagrams, and then draws them?
>
> I built an Emacs reimplementation of the line drawing workflow I
> remember from MS-DOS-based Multi-Edit and DOS Navigator. (You
> basically hold down Shift and move point with the arrows, and it draws
> over where you move, joining lines as necessary.)
>
> Unfortunately, it’s not currently published, and it has a few known
> bugs.

OK.  Thanks.  It looks as though Emacs’s built-in ‘artist-mode’ works
similarly, but when I tried it, it used ASCII characters instead of
graphic characters.  Either way, I was hoping that there was a tool that
allowed for descriptions of the diagram elements instead of a
keyboard/mouse WYSIWYG tool.  This would allow a user to describe the
diagram elements and connections and would then generate the diagram.
It doesn’t appear that anyone has yet written this tool for Emacs.  Or,
if it has been, it has not been adopted by Emacs users on this mailing
list.

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-26  5:41         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-08-26  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: Yuri Khan, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 04:24:39PM -0400, tpeplt wrote:
> Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:
>

> >> Have you been drawing your helpful diagrams using Emacs’s ability to
> >> insert individual graphic characters (for example, ┌, ┴, ┤), or is there
> >> a package that you can recommend that allows for describing the
> >> diagrams, and then draws them?
> >
> > I built an Emacs reimplementation of the line drawing workflow I
> > remember from MS-DOS-based Multi-Edit and DOS Navigator. (You
> > basically hold down Shift and move point with the arrows, and it draws
> > over where you move, joining lines as necessary.)
> >
> > Unfortunately, it’s not currently published, and it has a few known
> > bugs.
>
> OK.  Thanks.  It looks as though Emacs’s built-in ‘artist-mode’ works
> similarly, but when I tried it, it used ASCII characters instead of
> graphic characters.

Perhaps you're searching for `artist-select-line-char' and friends.

>                    Either way, I was hoping that there was a tool that
> allowed for descriptions of the diagram elements instead of a
> keyboard/mouse WYSIWYG tool.  This would allow a user to describe the
> diagram elements and connections and would then generate the diagram.
> It doesn’t appear that anyone has yet written this tool for Emacs.  Or,
> if it has been, it has not been adopted by Emacs users on this mailing
> list.

I think this is due to the nature of the problem: compare, e.g. the
Graphviz suite to TiKZ/PGF and you'll see that "drawing an image
declaratively" is so huge a field that you end up with quite different
languages :-)

That said, me, too, have wished from time to time to be able to do
it in elisp.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-26  8:28         ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-26  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 at 03:24, tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was hoping that there was a tool that
> allowed for descriptions of the diagram elements instead of a
> keyboard/mouse WYSIWYG tool.  This would allow a user to describe the
> diagram elements and connections and would then generate the diagram.

The closest are Graphviz and PlantUML, but they render into SVG and
not plain text, so I don’t reach for them when doing a small simple
diagram in an email, a Reddit post, or a code comment.

Graphviz, in addition, is so low level that on many occasions I’ve
wanted it generated from a higher-level description language rather
than to write it directly.

* Re: Get buffer unto a new frame
@ 2023-08-26  9:22           ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-08-26  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)