* RE: Request for partecipating in the project
@ 2019-12-23 16:04 arthur miller
From: arthur miller @ 2019-12-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross, Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

.

> epub is an HTML based format. Essentially it is an archive file of HTML and metadata.

XML, not html.

> So the issue isn't so much whether it is
> better than HTML but more about some of
> the tools available.

Might be that there are better applications for voice reading then Emacs, albeit I think that your target group is already reading Emacs manual in Emacspeak. I think I will try to set  up Emacspeak for myself, have not done it yet.

Anyway, I hinted that epub might not be THE best format for a reference like API docs. I don't think that structure of chapters and especially pages are very good structure for electronic documents, especially not for API docs or references. Do you miss "page structure" on Wikipedia?

Emacs self documentation is good and being able to lookup stuff directly from within your Emacs is priceless, but sometimes I miss an easy overview of the api, for example when I can't remember name of a function or similar.

By the way, what kind of hardware does not have a web browser nowadays? Is not like online Emacs manual is full of javascript and other stuff on the edge of the web technology.

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 at 17:34, Mario Lang <mlang@blind.guru> wrote:
Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com<mailto:theophilusx@gmail.com>> writes:

> One of the advantages of some ebook formats, such as epub, is that they can
> be more accessible for the blind and vision impaired than PDF or even HTML.

Please name an example where epub clearly is bettern then HTML.
I (a blind user) have never seen one until now.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* RE: Request for partecipating in the project
@ 2019-12-22 22:32 arthur miller
From: arthur miller @ 2019-12-22 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Sam Qasbah, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> AFAIK, ebook readers can render HTML, but > work much better with
> dediacted formats.

You mean some special hardware, or you mean ordinary ebook apps?

On my tablet I just open online manual in Firefox. There is also manual in pdf format, can't device render pdfs?

On 2019-12-22, at 22:38, arthur miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:

> Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.
>

>> The ebook format allows you to consult the > manual with a smartphone, tablet or epub-> > reader.
>
> Both my smartphone and my tablet read Emacs manual perfectly fine in html format in browser, and I am sure if I wanted to read manuals in pdf format they would work perfectly fine too. What does epub brings that html or pdf does not? Personally I don't even like pdf.

AFAIK, ebook readers can render HTML, but work much better with
dediacted formats.

FWIW, I converted the Emacs manuals to an ebook-reader-friendly format
many years ago, and automatic conversion resulted in a very poor
experience.  If someone volunteers to do a better job than Calibri, I'm
all for it!!!

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* RE: Request for partecipating in the project
@ 2019-12-22 21:38 arthur miller
From: arthur miller @ 2019-12-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Qasbah, emacs-devel@gnu.org

@ 2019-12-22 17:23 Sam Qasbah