* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0679159: Use the VC root in `log-edit-listfun'
       [not found] ` <E1YgNIr-000805-SH@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-04-10  5:02   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-10  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Dmitry Gutov

> +                   ;; FIXME: Should expand the list for directories.
> +                   ;; Is the above still relevant?  If so, it needs a
> +                   ;; better explanation. -- dgutov

I think that for the use case in Emacs's master it is not really
relevant any more because there's only a single ChangeLog.

The problem was as follows:
- mark "." in vc-dir then do C-x v v to commit changes to a few lisp files.
- be disappointed that the log-edit buffer was not pre-filled with the
  corresponding entries in lisp/ChangeLog because lisp/ChangeLog is not
  the right file for "." and log-edit doesn't know that the files that
  will be committed are somewhere underneath the `lisp' subdirectory.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0679159: Use the VC root in `log-edit-listfun'
@ 2015-04-10  6:33     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-10  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Dmitry Gutov

>> +                   ;; FIXME: Should expand the list for directories.
>> +                   ;; Is the above still relevant?  If so, it needs a
>> +                   ;; better explanation. -- dgutov
> I think that for the use case in Emacs's master it is not really
> relevant any more because there's only a single ChangeLog.

Actually, no: it is still relevant.

> The problem was as follows:
> - mark "." in vc-dir then do C-x v v to commit changes to a few lisp files.
> - be disappointed that the log-edit buffer was not pre-filled with the
>   corresponding entries in lisp/ChangeLog because lisp/ChangeLog is not
>   the right file for "." and log-edit doesn't know that the files that
>   will be committed are somewhere underneath the `lisp' subdirectory.

The remaining problem is that when marking ".", log-edit may find the
right ./ChangeLog file but without knowing which files in "." will be
committed, it can't know which entries to select.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0679159: Use the VC root in `log-edit-listfun'
@ 2015-04-11  4:11     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-04-11  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 04/10/2015 08:02 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I think that for the use case in Emacs's master it is not really
> relevant any more because there's only a single ChangeLog.

Indeed.

> The problem was as follows:
> - mark "." in vc-dir then do C-x v v to commit changes to a few lisp files.
> - be disappointed that the log-edit buffer was not pre-filled with the
>    corresponding entries in lisp/ChangeLog because lisp/ChangeLog is not
>    the right file for "." and log-edit doesn't know that the files that
>    will be committed are somewhere underneath the `lisp' subdirectory.

Thanks, I've expanded the comment there.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0679159: Use the VC root in `log-edit-listfun'
@ 2015-04-11  4:11       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-04-11  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 04/10/2015 09:33 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> The remaining problem is that when marking ".", log-edit may find the
> right ./ChangeLog file but without knowing which files in "." will be
> committed, it can't know which entries to select.

Actually, it ends up working for "." because
`log-edit-changelog-entries' tries to fall back to "just look for FILE"
if it doesn't find exact matches, and then does (setq pattern
(file-name-nondirectory "./")), which is an empty string. No such luck
for any subdirectory.

I think I've fixed that now, but `log-edit-changelog-insert-entries'
replacement logic for relative paths won't in general work for these
directory entries. Also not a problem for Emacs master.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 0679159: Use the VC root in `log-edit-listfun'
@ 2015-04-11 14:11         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-11 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I think I've fixed that now, but `log-edit-changelog-insert-entries'
> replacement logic for relative paths won't in general work for these
> directory entries. Also not a problem for Emacs master.

Thanks.

        Stefan "who never liked this renaming of relative names anyway"