* Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2018-12-30 21:48 Ahmed Alharbi
From: Ahmed Alharbi @ 2018-12-30 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As iPads are becoming more popular and exceeding the power of most laptops.
Is there a plan to create an Emacs version for iPads? As for myself, I am
willing to pay 100$ just to get an emacs on my iPad. There are some
workaround but they are not convenient.

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2018-12-31  9:22 ` Tim Cross
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-12-31  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmed Alharbi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Given the iPad is a closed and proprietary platform, I doubt that porting
Emacs to run on it is very high on the roadmap. Probably a greater chance
to see it on an Android tablet (and I'm not sure how 'open' Android is
either!).

I suspect there would be significant challenges to getting Emacs to work on
a touch screen device. In the meantime, best bet is to run remotely over
ssh. Personally, I find coding on a tablet to be a pain - rather use a
notebook running GNU Linux - light, small and full access to all the GNU
utilities/tools which enhance Emacs functionality, plus all on a familiar
filesystem.

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2018-12-31 13:26   ` Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti
From: Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti @ 2018-12-31 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmed Alharbi; +Cc: Emacs developers

,----
| As iPads are becoming more popular and exceeding the power of most
| laptops. Is there a plan to create an Emacs version for iPads? As for
| myself, I am willing to pay 100$ just to get an emacs on my iPad. There are
| some workaround but they are not convenient.
`----

You can actually run GNU Emacs on Android tablets and phones with Termux. I
have to say that it works pretty well (on a fairly standard Emacs
setup). I don't know anything about iOS though but with a quick search I
found Termius and it looks similar to Termux, the website even has GNU
Emacs screenshots.

--
Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti
Solution Lead for Monsters at ITX

Message sent from GNU Emacs 26.1.

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2018-12-31 13:55     ` Kalman Reti
From: Kalman Reti @ 2018-12-31 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti; +Cc: Ahmed Alharbi, emacs-devel

On Dec 31, 2018 8:27 AM, "Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti" <me@nsacchetti.com> wrote:

,----
| As iPads are becoming more popular and exceeding the power of most
| laptops. Is there a plan to create an Emacs version for iPads? As for
| myself, I am willing to pay 100$ just to get an emacs on my iPad. There
are
| some workaround but they are not convenient.
`----

You can actually run GNU Emacs on Android tablets and phones with Termux. I
have to say that it works pretty well (on a fairly standard Emacs
setup). I don't know anything about iOS though but with a quick search I
found Termius and it looks similar to Termux, the website even has GNU
Emacs screenshots.

I run the termux version on my android tablets (Hacker's keyboard helps
with the input problem) but it crashes a lot and while you can run it under
gdb, there are no symbols so that isn't a helpful exercise.

--

@ 2018-12-31 22:57 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-12-31 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmed Alharbi; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Is there a plan to create an Emacs version for iPads?

Users are not permitted to install software on an iBad,
so all cr...apps for an iBad are nonfree.  That means they are
injustices, like the iBad itself.  (That is why we call it
"iBad" -- bad for your freedom.)

The FSF will not permit nonfree binaries of GNU Emacs.
So unless you can find a way to install it using a jailbreak,
people won't be able to use it.

(Is jailbreaking possible, nowadays?)

Apple mobile devices are enemies of people's freedom.  Making them
disappear is part of the goal that the GNU Project is working for.

See https://gnu.org/malware/malware-apple.html
and https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html
for more explanation.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-01 21:44       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-01 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalman Reti; +Cc: me, ahmed.alharbi.sa, emacs-devel

  > You can actually run GNU Emacs on Android tablets and phones with Termux. I
  > have to say that it works pretty well (on a fairly standard Emacs
  > setup). I don't know anything about iOS though but with a quick search I
  > found Termius and it looks similar to Termux, the website even has GNU
  > Emacs screenshots.

What does Termius do?  Does it connect to some other computer?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-02 20:52         ` Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti
From: Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti @ 2019-01-02 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: ahmed.alharbi.sa, Kalman Reti, emacs-devel

,----[ Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes: ]
| What does Termius do?  Does it connect to some other computer?
`----

Looks like a SSH/Telnet client and it requires other computer to work
(localhost or "in the cloud" system). It's multi-platform but it looks
heavily focused on getting iOS users judging by its website. I've never
used it.

I have used Termux (only Android) before, it's open source and
free (as in "gratis") as far as I know.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-03 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti
  Cc: ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti, emacs-devel

  > I have used Termux (only Android) before, it's open source and
  > free (as in "gratis") as far as I know.

We judge a program morally based on whether it is free (libre)
software.  That's what makes it just, rather than unjust.
See https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html.

Whether a user paid to get a copy is another question, which we don't
consider morally crucial.

Whether it is "open source" is also a question that isn't part of our
concerns, because that's not the same thing as free software.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

Termius on iOS is surely not libre.  On other platforms it could be.

However, in this case we have no need to judge Termux or Termius.  The
crucial point about Termios -- if I understand right what you've said

  > Looks like a SSH/Telnet client and it requires other computer to work
  > (localhost or "in the cloud" system).

-- is that if you run Emacs through it, Emacs will be running on some
other computer, not on the iBad, and only _displaying_ via Termius.

It may be easy to make Emacs support displaying via Termius.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-04  4:05             ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2019-01-04  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman
  Cc: Nahuel Jesús Sacchetti, ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti,
	emacs-devel

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 07:24, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>   > Looks like a SSH/Telnet client and it requires other computer to work
>   > (localhost or "in the cloud" system).
>
> -- is that if you run Emacs through it, Emacs will be running on some
> other computer, not on the iBad, and only _displaying_ via Termius.
>
> It may be easy to make Emacs support displaying via Termius.

I don't know about that tool, but it certainly is possible to run Emacs on
an Iphone or Ipad using ish. The project is GPL:

https://github.com/tbodt/ish

I'm not an Apple user myself, and I just looked at the project out of
fascination at the lengths people are willing to do to get this kind of
stuff to work (instead of just getting an open device).

It implements a virtual machine that allows you to run Linux binaries, and
most of the GNU system is running on it (it's Alpine Linux
<https://alpinelinux.org/> by default).

Of course, it's not available on the Apple Store at the moment (and it's
not clear if it ever will) so you have to compile the code yourself if you
want to use it.

Regards,
Elias

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-04 17:17 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-01-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Ahmed" == Ahmed Alharbi <ahmed.alharbi.sa@gmail.com> writes:

   > As iPads are becoming more popular and exceeding the power of most laptops.
   > Is there a plan to create an Emacs version for iPads? As for myself, I am
   > willing to pay 100$ just to get an emacs on my iPad. There are some
   > workaround but they are not convenient.

Some years ago, on my jailbroken iPod touch I mentioned to install some
Emacs (not sure whether it was GNU or based on qemacs). However since I
once almost lost all my data on a jailbroken device I have not tried to
jailbreak my iPad and I am not sure whether emacs/qemacs  program still is
available.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-01-04 17:19 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-01-04 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Ahmed" == Ahmed Alharbi <ahmed.alharbi.sa@gmail.com> writes:

   > As iPads are becoming more popular and exceeding the power of most laptops.

On second thought: I think it never will. If it were to run OSX, then
yes, but apple wants to sell laptops and iPads separately.

The surface pro is a different matter, but it runs MS Windows, oops

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-04 17:22   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-01-04 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Richard" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

   >> Is there a plan to create an Emacs version for iPads?

   > Apple mobile devices are enemies of people's freedom.  Making them
   > disappear is part of the goal that the GNU Project is working for.

Although I use an iPad daily (because of the excellent pencil), I
wholeheartly *agree* with you: their philosophy just *sucks*.

I would love to see a similar device running GNU software.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-04 21:27               ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-04 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias MÃ¥rtenson; +Cc: me, ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti, emacs-devel

  > Of course, it's not available on the Apple Store at the moment (and it's
  > not clear if it ever will) so you have to compile the code yourself if you
  > want to use it.

I did not realize that that was possible -- to install programs
that are not in the cr...app store.

What software is needed to install ish?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-05  4:03                 ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2019-01-05  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: me, ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti, emacs-devel

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019, 05:27 Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org wrote:

> I did not realize that that was possible -- to install programs
> that are not in the cr...app store.
>
> What software is needed to install ish?

My understanding is that there are two ways: the first is to become a
registered developer. If you are, you can of course compile anything you
want. There is a fee associated with being a developer, and I don't know
what information you need to provide to Apple to do so.

The other way is to be added as a tester with a developer. I was told there
is a limit to the number of testers, and I think its 1000 users. Apparently
the list of registered testers for the ish project is filled up.

As I'm writing this, I note that there may also be a third way, which is to
use corporate deployments. Some companies have Ipads that are used in kiosk
mode to handle reservations at a restaurant for example. These applications
are obviously not available on the store, and I seem to recall someone
saying that they are not vetted by Apple in the same way normal
applications are. However, I know very little about this and someone who is
an Ipad developer could probably provide more detail.

Finally, my friend who told me all of this said that some projects have
been shut down even while just doing testing in the way ish is, ostensibly
for breaking some arbitrary rule that Apple has decided on. Ish has not
been shut down, even though the project has been mentioned by people like
Gruber (a blogger who is widely considered to be a mouth piece of Apple).
Apparently this is seen as a sign that it will eventually be allowed on the
store.

Regards,
Elias

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-05  7:59                   ` Toon Claes
From: Toon Claes @ 2019-01-05  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson
  Cc: me, ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2019, 05:27 Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org wrote:
>>
>> I did not realize that that was possible -- to install programs
>> that are not in the cr...app store.
>>
>> What software is needed to install ish?
>>

> My understanding is that there are two ways: the first is to become a
> registered developer. If you are, you can of course compile anything you
> want. There is a fee associated with being a developer, and I don't know
> what information you need to provide to Apple to do so.

That's true. Although you'll need to pay that fee every year, otherwise
apps stop working.

> The other way is to be added as a tester with a developer. I was told there
> is a limit to the number of testers, and I think its 1000 users. Apparently
> the list of registered testers for the ish project is filled up.
>
> As I'm writing this, I note that there may also be a third way, which is to
> use corporate deployments. Some companies have Ipads that are used in kiosk
> mode to handle reservations at a restaurant for example. These applications
> are obviously not available on the store, and I seem to recall someone
> saying that they are not vetted by Apple in the same way normal
> applications are. However, I know very little about this and someone who is
> an Ipad developer could probably provide more detail.

Same here, you'll need to pay the fee every year and refresh the apps
with new signatures every year.

There is also a forth way. You can build the app yourself and load it on
your own device. But for this you'll need an Apple computer and use
Xcode.

-- Toon

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-05  8:56                   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-01-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > On Sat, 5 Jan 2019, 05:27 Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org wrote:

   > As I'm writing this, I note that there may also be a third way, which is to
   > use corporate deployments. Some companies have Ipads that are used in kiosk
   > mode to handle reservations at a restaurant for example. These applications
   > are obviously not available on the store, and I seem to recall someone
   > saying that they are not vetted by Apple in the same way normal
   > applications are. However, I know very little about this and someone who is
   > an Ipad developer could probably provide more detail.

I think if you install a certificate from someone who has written an
iPad which is not in the appstore, you can install it, on your own risk.
I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-05 19:32                   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-05 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias MÃ¥rtenson; +Cc: me, ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti, emacs-devel

It sounds like most "owners" of iMonsters do not have the option of
installing ish by these three methods -- that only some people, who
have special privileges, can do so.

Is that correct?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-05 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Claes; +Cc: me, ahmed.alharbi.sa, kalman.reti, lokedhs, emacs-devel

  > There is also a forth way. You can build the app yourself and load it on
  > your own device. But for this you'll need an Apple computer and use
  > Xcode.

Are you saying that if a free app is written to use Xcode, then _any_
iMonster user who has access to a Mac can build the app and install it
on an iMonster?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-05 19:33                     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I think if you install a certificate from someone who has written an
  > iPad which is not in the appstore, you can install it, on your own risk.
  > I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
  > which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
  > of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.

The precise rules of this is a very important question for me; it
affects what I need to say in my talks about the iMonsters.  So I
would be very grateful if people could find the facts about this
in the next 3 days.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-05 22:28                       ` Cecilio Pardo
From: Cecilio Pardo @ 2019-01-05 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-devel

>   > I think if you install a certificate from someone who has written an
>   > iPad which is not in the appstore, you can install it, on your own risk.
>   > I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
>   > which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
>   > of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.
>
> The precise rules of this is a very important question for me; it
> affects what I need to say in my talks about the iMonsters.  So I
> would be very grateful if people could find the facts about this
> in the next 3 days.

To install any application on your own device, you need to sign it with
a "Developer certificate".

To get that, you need to be a member of the "Apple Developer
Program".

You can be a paying member, in which case your certificate
lasts for one year.

You can also be a member for free (you still need to register and accept
an agreement). In this case, your certificates will last for one
week. So, you need to resign and reinstall the application every week,
as it stops working when the certificate expires.

To sign the application, you can build it from source, or use some tool to
sign the binary with your certificates.

Maybe it is important to note that apple can deny membership to
anyone they choose, and of course change any of the conditions.

The agreement is available here:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/apple_developer_agreement.pdf

--
Cecilio Pardo

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-06 19:40                         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-06 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecilio Pardo; +Cc: oub, emacs-devel

  > To install any application on your own device, you need to sign it with
  > a "Developer certificate".

  > To get that, you need to be a member of the "Apple Developer
  > Program".

These conditions are very nasty.  But I want to make sure
nothing is slipping through a crack.

Someone wrote

>   > I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
>   > which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
>   > of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.

1. Is this correct?

2. Can anyone who has an iMonsteer install popcorn in this way?

3. What else does a person have to do install popcorn in this way?

4. Does the user installing it need a developer certificate?

5. Is the binary in that web site signed with someone's developer certificate?

6. Does Apple forbid others to redistribute that binary?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-06 19:46                           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-01-06 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Richard" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

   >> To install any application on your own device, you need to sign it with
   >> a "Developer certificate".

   >> To get that, you need to be a member of the "Apple Developer
   >> Program".

   > These conditions are very nasty.  But I want to make sure
   > nothing is slipping through a crack.

   > Someone wrote

   >> > I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
   >> > which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
   >> > of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.

That was me, and I did that some time ago, never used the app and forgot
some details.

Here is a link

https://getpopcorntime.is/ios.html

There are also some youtube videos, which I will watch in a while and
report back

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-06 20:26                             ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-01-06 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Uwe" == Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> "Richard" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
   >> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
   >> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
   >> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

   >> Someone wrote

   > That was me, and I did that some time ago, never used the app and forgot
   > some details.

 I saw the videos. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx4t-wSyrQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xANVoJUvKRM

    1. You have to connect to a page tutuapp.vip

    2. Once visiting that webpage you can *install* and app called
       tutuhelper.

    3. You obtain a message: untrusted enterprise developer. Now you
       have to trust that certificate

There are other instructions. One talk about installing AppValley. I did
not watch all the videos but the idea seems similar.

    1. By clicking on a webpage you can install an untrusted mega app,
       a sort of alternative app store.

    2. Trust that store

    3. Install the popcorn app.

So could Emacs follow that path? Not sure whether this path is legal.

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-07  0:55                           ` Cecilio Pardo
From: Cecilio Pardo @ 2019-01-07  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: oub, Cecilio Pardo, emacs-devel

> Someone wrote
>
>>   > I think there is a app called popcorn which is for streaming videos and
>>   > which is not available  in the app shop, but can installed via the webpage
>>   > of the developer. So may this is the way Emacs could go.
>
> 1. Is this correct?

Yes, that can be done, but it is in violation of the license with
Apple. They use a "Enterprise developer certificate". This allows an
enterprise to distribute software internally to its employees, not to
the public.

Apple would normally revoke certificates that are used this way, so this
applications also tamper with the certificate validation system to stay
alive, and could stop working at any time. This is very shady, I don't
know much more about it, sorry.

> 2. Can anyone who has an iMonsteer install popcorn in this way?

Yes.

> 3. What else does a person have to do install popcorn in this way?

Not much. Install the app as it would be done for a 'legitimate'
enterprise distribution. And trust the binary.

> 4. Does the user installing it need a developer certificate?

No.

> 5. Is the binary in that web site signed with someone's developer certificate?

Yes. The "enterprise" certificate.

> 6. Does Apple forbid others to redistribute that binary?

Yes. Those certificates are to be used only inside the organization.

--
Cecilio Pardo

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-07  3:44                             ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2019-01-07  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecilio Pardo; +Cc: oub, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 08:56, Cecilio Pardo <cpardo@imayhem.com> wrote:

> 6. Does Apple forbid others to redistribute that binary?
>
> Yes. Those certificates are to be used only inside the organization.

I'm guessing that this is the mechanism Ipads in kiosk mode uses?

Regads,
Elias

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-07 16:21                               ` Cecilio Pardo
From: Cecilio Pardo @ 2019-01-07 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: oub, Cecilio Pardo, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

>> Yes. Those certificates are to be used only inside the organization.
>
> I'm guessing that this is the mechanism Ipads in kiosk mode uses?

Yes, that's often the case.

--
Cecilio Pardo

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-07 20:12                             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecilio Pardo; +Cc: oub, cpardo, emacs-devel

Thanks for the information.

Alas, it appears that the iMonsters are still jails.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-07 20:14                                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-01-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecilio Pardo; +Cc: oub, cpardo, lokedhs, emacs-devel

Are we certain that popcorn is violating Apple's rules,
and Apple is declining to take the action to shut it down?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-07 22:44                                   ` Cecilio Pardo
From: Cecilio Pardo @ 2019-01-07 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: oub, Cecilio Pardo, lokedhs, emacs-devel

> Are we certain that popcorn is violating Apple's rules,
> and Apple is declining to take the action to shut it down?

I'm certain that they are in violation of the rules. They are using
unsuitable certificates, even expired and/or revoked ones. There is no
question about that. The installers ask you to trust an Enterprise
developer, and Enterprise development is restricted to internal use.

Apple revokes the certificates, forcing them to circumvent the
protection, I don't know how. Why don't they do more? Probably because
there are many services that do the same thing, and they just don't care
enough to put the resources to shut them down, but I don't know.

--
Cecilio Pardo

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-15  9:05 Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-01-15  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Emacs developers

> It may be easy to make Emacs support displaying via Termius.

It is possible to display a console
and interact with Emacs in your web
browser:

— quote

you can write Python applications from your iPad,
phone, or smart TV just as easily as you can from your
computer. It works on the iPad, and we are in beta for
Android devices.

— quote ends

see: https://www.pythonanywhere.com/#id_develop_anywhere_details

* Re: Will Emacs be ever available for iOS?
@ 2019-01-15  9:24 Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-01-15  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: Emacs developers

> but apple wants to sell laptops and iPads separately.

The apple "continuity” concept
would allow a court Judge working
on their platform of free choice
to type in front of their iComputer
and keep going on their iPad in a
heartbeat and an eye blink.

But, the time wasted on 123+ million
dollar business class trips across
the Pacific Ocean has as yet to make
that convergence perfect over the years.