* Re: Emacs as a word processor
@ 2020-12-24  6:18 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2020-12-24  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

No, please!!
I don't want to waist CPU cycles in making things look as I want. Mainly
because I trust LaTEX to do that. Even against colleagues. The only thing I
need when writing is a spellchecker (flyspell) and a nice snippet
combination for the more complex "quirks" in LaTEX (using yasnippet).
Everything else is distraction. I concur with people pointing out that ORG
makes a nice combination with LaTEX (I scarcely ever use Beamer directly
for lectures, org-mode is perfect for that).
In some sense, this is back to the origins, using venerable WordStar for
text-processing and programming. And yes, if you need some sense of
WYSIWYH2G
(H2G=hope to get) then use any of the programs mentioned in the thread

Best wishes for 2021,
My .02 cents
/PA
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

* Emacs as a word processor
@ 2021-02-01 17:00 James Lu
From: James Lu @ 2021-02-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

WYSIWYG editors are popular among normal people. Emacs as word
processor will expand the reach of Emacs, and thus software freedom
too.

________________________________
From:Richard Stallman
Subject:Emacs as word processor
Date:Sun, 17 Nov 2013 02:28:51 -0500
________________________________

25 years ago I hoped we would extend Emacs to do WYSIWG word
processing.  That is why we added text properties and variable width
fonts.  However, more features are still needed to achieve this.

Could people please start working on the features that are needed?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Emacs as a word processor