* Landing feature/more-fds for Emacs 30?
@ 2023-03-14 16:09 Elliott Shugerman
From: Elliott Shugerman @ 2023-03-14 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: rpluim@gmail.com

(Context:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-05/msg00115.html)

I've been running this patch (rebased on emacs-29) on macOS ever since we added
it to homebrew-emacs-plus
<https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus/pull/510> (off by
default) a few months back. It's made a huge difference for me!

I work on a large codebase with LSP and used to run into the "too many open
files" error all the time unless I disabled desired functionality or gave
up native-comp. Now, with this patch, not only is that issue gone entirely,
but I find Emacs is generally more responsive and stable on macOS.

More recently I installed this patch on my GNU/Linux box as well and have
noticed no differences at all there (which is good/expected because I've
only ever run into such issues on macOS, in part because I make heavier use
of it these days (reluctantly), but also due to technical differences IIUC).

Anyway, that's all to say, thanks for this patch! And... can it be merged
now that emacs-29 is cut? :)

Best,
Elliott