* [Emacs-diffs] emacs-27 38f7538 1/2: New function erc-switch-to-buffer-other-window
@ 2020-04-14  5:28 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-14  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: emacs-devel

Amin, why was this pushed to the emacs-27 branch?  Is this a bug fix,
and if so, is it safe and/or urgent enough to be put on the release
branch?

Thanks.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-27 38f7538 1/2: New function erc-switch-to-buffer-other-window
@ 2020-04-14 15:12 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-04-14 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Amin, why was this pushed to the emacs-27 branch?  Is this a bug fix,
> and if so, is it safe and/or urgent enough to be put on the release
> branch?
>
> Thanks.

Indeed, the two changes address an annoyance/shortcoming myself and some
other ERC users had noticed, but I don't think they were reported on
bugs.gnu.org.  The changes are rather simple and I believe safe enough
for the release branch: they both simply refactor out the implementation
into similarly named internal functions, and provide a new variant that
uses `switch-to-buffer-other-window' rather than `switch-to-buffer'.

I think the changes are simple yet useful enough to be in emacs-27;
though in hindsight, the master branch may have been a better place for
them.  That said, if you or others spot any issues with them, I'd be
more than happy to try and address them, or even revert them if needed.

As a side note, I will be looking into making ERC available on GNU ELPA
so that addition of new features and/or bug fixes wouldn't require
having to run the latest Emacs release or trunk.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-27 38f7538 1/2: New function erc-switch-to-buffer-other-window
@ 2020-04-14 15:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-14 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:12:34 -0400
>
> I think the changes are simple yet useful enough to be in emacs-27;
> though in hindsight, the master branch may have been a better place for
> them.  That said, if you or others spot any issues with them, I'd be
> more than happy to try and address them, or even revert them if needed.

The danger is that we release Emacs 27.1 with some problem caused by
these changes undetected.  But if you think this danger is small, I
guess I'm okay with that.

@ 2020-04-14 15:59     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-04-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel