* Zap-to-char behaviour
@ 2003-05-20 20:40 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2003-05-20 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  Currently, zap-to-char deletes every character up to
  a given character and including the said character.
  Does this behaviour satisfy most people?

  I personaly have rarely seen the need for removing
  this last character: usually, I want to remove
  characters up to a closing parenthesis or a semicolon
  for instance.

  Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Zap-to-char behaviour
@ 2003-05-21 16:30 jmarant
From: jmarant @ 2003-05-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> a écrit :

> Currently, zap-to-char deletes every character up to
>       a given character and including the said character.
>       Does this behaviour satisfy most people?
>
> It seems useful to me.  It means you can repeat the
> command and it isn't a no-op.
>
> When I don't really want to delete that character, I just type it
> again.

Sure, that's what I have to do currently.

Anyway, would it be of any annoyance to add a
'zap-up-to-char' function which does the same as zap-to-char
except from removing the character? (I'm currently
not fluent at Elisp).

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Marant

___________________________________
Webmail Nerim, http://www.nerim.net/

* Re: Zap-to-char behaviour
@ 2003-05-22  7:23 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2003-05-22  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> a écrit :

> Actually, not putting the unwanted character in the kill ring might be
> an extra argument for providing `zap-up-to-char', but I personally do
> not use zap-to-char sufficiently often to have strong opinions on the
> issue.

Why would we want to put the unwanted character in
the kill ring?

--
Jérôme Marant

Webmail Nerim, http://www.nerim.net/