* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
       [not found] ` <20220920151239.61451C00871@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2022-09-21  2:23   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-21  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen

> +This function is called with no arguments when Emacs notices that a
> +frame may have gotten or lost focus.  Focus events are delivered

"the focus may have moved to or from the frame." is how it usually
written in X documentation, and I think that is a little clearer.

Also, why not add the following as well:

  when no window manager is running, or inside child frames, the focus
  can also be set "implicitly" by the mouse pointer entering a frame.

WDYT?

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21  9:14     ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-09-21  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel, Lars Ingebrigtsen

>> +This function is called with no arguments when Emacs notices that a
>> +frame may have gotten or lost focus.  Focus events are delivered
>
> "the focus may have moved to or from the frame." is how it usually
> written in X documentation, and I think that is a little clearer.
>
> Also, why not add the following as well:
>
> when no window manager is running, or inside child frames, the focus can
> also be set "implicitly" by the mouse pointer entering a frame.

There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
focus-follows-mouse policy.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 10:41       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Heytings; +Cc: Po Lu, emacs-devel

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>>> +This function is called with no arguments when Emacs notices that a
>>> +frame may have gotten or lost focus.  Focus events are delivered
>>
>> "the focus may have moved to or from the frame." is how it usually
>> written in X documentation, and I think that is a little clearer.

Hm...  I'm not sure that's clearer...

>> Also, why not add the following as well:
>>
>> when no window manager is running, or inside child frames, the focus
>> can also be set "implicitly" by the mouse pointer entering a frame.
>
> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
> focus-follows-mouse policy.

The original text was longer and tried to explain too much, I think --
it made it all sound very complex, scary and difficult to deal with.  So
I tried to make it short and purposefully vague instead of enumerating
all different things that may and may not have happened, because that
didn't seem helpful.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 10:51       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-21 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Heytings; +Cc: emacs-devel, Lars Ingebrigtsen

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
> focus-follows-mouse policy.

Do people still use those?

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 10:54         ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-09-21 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Po Lu, emacs-devel

> The original text was longer and tried to explain too much, I think --
> it made it all sound very complex, scary and difficult to deal with.
> So I tried to make it short and purposefully vague instead of
> enumerating all different things that may and may not have happened,
> because that didn't seem helpful.

Agreed, I don't think it's useful to give a more detailed list of cases
there.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 10:55         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-21 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Gregory Heytings, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
>> focus-follows-mouse policy.
>
> Do people still use those?

I do on my desktop machine.  (Which uses twm. 😳)

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 10:58         ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-09-21 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel, Lars Ingebrigtsen

>> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
>> focus-follows-mouse policy.
>
> Do people still use those?

Yes.  IIRC Eli configured Windows to work that way.  Martin uses such a
window manager (but I don't remember which one it is).  And myself.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 11:43           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-21 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Gregory Heytings, emacs-devel

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
>>> focus-follows-mouse policy.
>>
>> Do people still use those?
>
> I do on my desktop machine.  (Which uses twm. 😳)

Interesting, personally I think twm and uwm are obsolete window managers
lacking even the most basic Unicode support.

So things like _NET_WM_NAME do not work.  Oh well.

How about saying "under some situations, moving the mouse pointer into a
frame may also cause the @dfn{implicit focus} to move to that frame"
instead?

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 11:51           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Heytings; +Cc: luangruo, emacs-devel, larsi

> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:58:18 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>

> >> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
> >> focus-follows-mouse policy.
> >
> > Do people still use those?
> >

> Yes.  IIRC Eli configured Windows to work that way.

Yes.  I actually don't understand how can people use some other
policy, when moving focus to another frame or a different application
requires that you click on its window.  That basically means yopu
never work with more than one frame/window.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 11:56             ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-21 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Gregory Heytings, emacs-devel, larsi

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes.  I actually don't understand how can people use some other
> policy, when moving focus to another frame or a different application
> requires that you click on its window.  That basically means yopu
> never work with more than one frame/window.

Interesting.

In the X world, we have mostly switched to "some other strategy",
because that is what MS Windows does by default (and people are as a
result used to.)

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 12:07         ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2022-09-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Gregory Heytings, emacs-devel, Lars Ingebrigtsen

[புதன் செப்டம்பர் 21, 2022] Po Lu wrote:

> Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:
>
>> There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
>> focus-follows-mouse policy.
>
> Do people still use those?

Yes.  I'm a happy user of focus-follows-mouse=t and
mouse-autoselect-window=t.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-21 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: gregory, emacs-devel, larsi

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   larsi@gnus.org
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:56:25 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Yes.  I actually don't understand how can people use some other
> > policy, when moving focus to another frame or a different application
> > requires that you click on its window.  That basically means yopu
> > never work with more than one frame/window.
>
> Interesting.
>
> In the X world, we have mostly switched to "some other strategy",
> because that is what MS Windows does by default (and people are as a
> result used to.)

Bad habits of people who don't necessarily know something better is
possible.

On every new Windows machine where I need to do something for more
than 5 minutes, I always configure it to implicitly give focus to a
window where the mouse pointer is (but not raise it), because that's
the only way to type into one window while reading something in
another (unless you have a huge display where both windows can be
shown side by side).

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 14:19             ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-09-21 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: luangruo, emacs-devel, larsi

> I actually don't understand how can people use some other policy, when
> moving focus to another frame or a different application requires that
> you click on its window.  That basically means you never work with more
> than one frame/window.

The focus-follows-mouse policy is indeed superior for advanced users, but
I think it must be admitted that it isn't appropriate for regular users.
It breaks the "desk" mental model, with which you always act on the
topmost element, which is the one that is fully visible.  With the
focus-follows-mouse policy you can act on any element that is partly
visible, but that means that you can e.g. type on the keyboard without
seeing any visible effect on the screen.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-09-21 15:06         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-09-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 06:51:31PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:
>
> > There are other cases, though, such as window managers using a
> > focus-follows-mouse policy.
>
> Do people still use those?

I very much do. Fvwm (currently I'm forced to half-use Windows and
it drives me nuts).

Among other things I do appreciate that a window can have focus
while not being on top (limited screen space).

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 15:25               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-09-21 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Heytings; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, luangruo, emacs-devel, larsi

On Sep 21 2022, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> The focus-follows-mouse policy is indeed superior for advanced users, but
> I think it must be admitted that it isn't appropriate for regular
> users. It breaks the "desk" mental model, with which you always act on the
> topmost element, which is the one that is fully visible.  With the
> focus-follows-mouse policy you can act on any element that is partly
> visible, but that means that you can e.g. type on the keyboard without
> seeing any visible effect on the screen.

Though this is the raise-on-focus option, which is independent from
focus-follows-mouse vs. click-to-focus.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 15:53                 ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-09-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, luangruo, emacs-devel, larsi

>> The focus-follows-mouse policy is indeed superior for advanced users,
>> but I think it must be admitted that it isn't appropriate for regular
>> users. It breaks the "desk" mental model, with which you always act on
>> the topmost element, which is the one that is fully visible.  With the
>> focus-follows-mouse policy you can act on any element that is partly
>> visible, but that means that you can e.g. type on the keyboard without
>> seeing any visible effect on the screen.
>
> Though this is the raise-on-focus option, which is independent from
> focus-follows-mouse vs. click-to-focus.

It depends on how you look at it, I guess.  I would rather present it as a
sub-option:

1. click-to-focus (default behavior on Windows and macOS)

2. focus-follows-mouse (traditional behavior on X11)

2.1. raise-on-click (default)

2.2. raise-on-focus

* RE: [External] : Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 16:19                 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-09-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Po Lu
  Cc: gregory@heytings.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, larsi@gnus.org

> On every new Windows machine where I need to do something for more
> than 5 minutes, I always configure it to implicitly give focus to a
> window where the mouse pointer is (but not raise it), because that's
> the only way to type into one window while reading something in
> another (unless you have a huge display where both windows can be
> shown side by side).

Is that something done easily, e.g. by a standard
setting somewhere?  I'd be interested in turning
that on, if it's easy to do (e.g., no programming
or registry fiddling).

* Re: [External] : Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-21 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: luangruo, gregory, emacs-devel, larsi

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> CC: "gregory@heytings.org" <gregory@heytings.org>,
>         "emacs-devel@gnu.org"
> 	<emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>         "larsi@gnus.org" <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:19:42 +0000
>
> > On every new Windows machine where I need to do something for more
> > than 5 minutes, I always configure it to implicitly give focus to a
> > window where the mouse pointer is (but not raise it), because that's
> > the only way to type into one window while reading something in
> > another (unless you have a huge display where both windows can be
> > shown side by side).
>
> Is that something done easily, e.g. by a standard
> setting somewhere?

 Control Panel > Ease of Access > Change How Your Mouse Works

* RE: [External] : Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 17:23                     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-09-21 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, gregory@heytings.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
	larsi@gnus.org

> > Is that something done easily, e.g. by a standard
> > setting somewhere?
>
>  Control Panel > Ease of Access > Change How Your Mouse Works

Thanks.

I just tried that, but it also seems to raise
the focused window, which I'm not keen on.

Very good to know that this is available, though.
Thx.

* Re: [External] : Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-21 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: luangruo, gregory, emacs-devel, larsi

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> CC: "luangruo@yahoo.com" <luangruo@yahoo.com>,
>         "gregory@heytings.org"
> 	<gregory@heytings.org>,
>         "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>         "larsi@gnus.org" <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:23:48 +0000
>
> >  Control Panel > Ease of Access > Change How Your Mouse Works
>
> Thanks.
>
> I just tried that, but it also seems to raise
> the focused window, which I'm not keen on.

There should be a setting to disable that, AFAIR.

If not, try this applet, it surely can do one without the other:

  https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/

* RE: [External] : Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-21 21:37                         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-09-21 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, gregory@heytings.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
	larsi@gnus.org

> > >  Control Panel > Ease of Access > Change How Your Mouse Works
> >
> > Thanks.
> > I just tried that, but it also seems to raise
> > the focused window, which I'm not keen on.
>
> There should be a setting to disable that, AFAIR.
>
> If not, try this applet, it surely can do one without the other:
>
>   https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/

Thanks, Eli.  I'll hang onto this info.  I doubt
I'll try using the applet, but I appreciate knowing
about it.  By now I'm used to clicking to focus,
but I do miss having the focus follow the mouse,
which I recall from UNIX/X Window behavior long ago.

* Re: [External] : Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-22  2:54                           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-22  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, gregory@heytings.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
	larsi@gnus.org

> Thanks, Eli.  I'll hang onto this info.  I doubt
> I'll try using the applet, but I appreciate knowing
> about it.  By now I'm used to clicking to focus,
> but I do miss having the focus follow the mouse,
> which I recall from UNIX/X Window behavior long ago.

Interesting.  Personally, I don't miss that behavior at all, having
spent a lot of time on older X setups running uwm/twm in the past, one
complaint being the input focus randomly moving to other windows while
typing upon accidental mouse motion (typically caused by dirty mouse
balls.)

It is also rather painful to program for, especially when your program
uses window nesting liberally.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-22  4:29                   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-09-22  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 03:53:08PM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> > > The focus-follows-mouse policy is indeed superior for advanced
> > > users, but I think it must be admitted that it isn't appropriate for
> > > regular users [...]

I wouldn't put that in a hierarchy like that. It's just how accustomed
the user is to a set of UI conventions. Besides, that makes your
hypothetical "regular user" identical with the "windows user", which
is a sneaky way of cementing Microsoft's supremacy. Don't let us do
their job for them. They are unfortunately good enough at it without
us helping :)

One could argue that "modern Windows" with its several layers of
UI "languages" is only for "advanced users". You have to know that
the first click on an "old" Windows app does nothing but bring
the focus to that one (e.g. Terminal), whereas a "modern" app (a
browser for example) goes wild on the first click. For me, very
much advanced indeed (I keep looking for harmless places on some
wacky web page to click on to be able to type there).

> > Though this is the raise-on-focus option, which is independent from
> > focus-follows-mouse vs. click-to-focus.

You are right, Andreas -- I do appreciate both.

> It depends on how you look at it, I guess.  I would rather present it as a
> sub-option:
>
> 1. click-to-focus (default behavior on Windows and macOS)
>
> 2. focus-follows-mouse (traditional behavior on X11)
>
> 2.1. raise-on-click (default)
>
> 2.2. raise-on-focus

Theoretically, of course, one might conceive click-to-focus /without/
raise-on-focus. But I haven't seen that for a long time.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-22  5:42                   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-22  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Heytings; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel, larsi

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> 2.1. raise-on-click (default)
>
> 2.2. raise-on-focus

The default X behavior is to neither raise the window on click, nor on
focus.  In fact, the X server does not implement any default raising
behavior at all.

* Re: master 127ab231be 1/2: Attempt to clarify Input Focus documentation
@ 2022-09-22  6:53                     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-09-22  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-devel

    tomas> One could argue that "modern Windows" with its several layers of
    tomas> UI "languages" is only for "advanced users". You have to know that
    tomas> the first click on an "old" Windows app does nothing but bring
    tomas> the focus to that one (e.g. Terminal), whereas a "modern" app (a
    tomas> browser for example) goes wild on the first click. For me, very
    tomas> much advanced indeed (I keep looking for harmless places on some
    tomas> wacky web page to click on to be able to type there).

Web browsers are particularly annoying here: clicking in the url bar
will select the entire url, making you click again to place the cursor
where you want to make the edit (does that make me an "advanced user"?
😀)

    >> > Though this is the raise-on-focus option, which is independent from
    >> > focus-follows-mouse vs. click-to-focus.

    tomas> You are right, Andreas -- I do appreciate both.

    >> It depends on how you look at it, I guess.  I would rather present it as a
    >> sub-option:
    >>
    >> 1. click-to-focus (default behavior on Windows and macOS)

macOS these days is not strictly click-to-focus, it has hybrid
focus-under-mouse (which actually generally does the right thing,
except when you have two overlapping windows).

Robert