* Rendering performace vs. line-spacing
@ 2021-01-08 11:34 Herman, Géza
From: Herman, Géza @ 2021-01-08 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I noticed that emacs's performance can depend on the font. For example,
Consolas has a much worse performance (scrolling is sluggish) than
BitStream Mono. I profiled emacs, and the main difference is
"draw_glyphs". When emacs is slow (using consolas), this function takes
50-60% of CPU time (measured by "perf record -g"). When emacs is fast
(using BitStream), this function takes only ~2-3%.

I played with my font's ascent and descent settings to have more line on
the screen (as emacs doesn't support negative line-spacing). Originally,
"draw_glyphs" takes 2-3% with my font. But if I decrease the height of
the font by modifying ascent/descent, then the same thing happens:
draw_glyphs takes 50-60% CPU time. If I set line-spacing to 2,
draw_glyphs become normal, 2-3% CPU time.

(I'm using a master build from yesterday)

Any ideas why this happens? Maybe this happens because lines may overlap
and some caching mechanism gets disabled?

Thanks,
Geza