emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org mode as tabbed notebook
@ 2010-05-07  6:40 katepano
From: katepano @ 2010-05-07  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello All,
I was wondering if somebody managed to use orgmode as atabbed notebook,
like gjots, or the old keynotes program from windows which I miss a lot
or even Ms one note. I tried using tabbed.el or speedbar, or the sitemap
of orgmode but it was not satisfactory. Any way how you manage to have a
lot of files open simultaneously, with the buffer list?

Any ideas are wellcome!

* Re: org mode as tabbed notebook
@ 2010-05-07 13:55 ` Matt Lundin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-05-07 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: katepano; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

katepano <katepano@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if somebody managed to use orgmode as atabbed
> notebook, like gjots, or the old keynotes program from windows which I
> miss a lot or even Ms one note. I tried using tabbed.el or speedbar,
> or the sitemap of orgmode but it was not satisfactory. Any way how you
> manage to have a lot of files open simultaneously, with the buffer
> list?

One easy way to switch org-buffers is to use C-c b (org-iswitchb) in
conjunction with ido, which allows for fuzzy matching.

I have the following settings in my emacs file:

  (ido-mode 1)

  (ido-everywhere 1)
  (setq ido-confirm-unique-completion t)
  (setq ido-enable-flex-matching t)

  ;; will use ffap-guesser to determine whether file name is at point
  (setq ido-use-filename-at-point 'guess)

  (setq org-completion-use-ido t)

Note that these settings also make ido the default interface for
switch-to-buffer and find-file.

Best,
Matt

* Re: org mode as tabbed notebook
@ 2010-05-07 14:58 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: katepano; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 6, 2010, at 8:40 PM, katepano wrote:

> Hello All,
> I was wondering if somebody managed to use orgmode as atabbed
> notebook, like gjots, or the old keynotes program from windows which
> I miss a lot or even Ms one note. I tried using tabbed.el or
> speedbar, or the sitemap of orgmode but it was not satisfactory. Any
> way how you manage to have a lot of files open simultaneously, with
> the buffer list?
>
> Any ideas are wellcome!

Aloha katepano,

I'm not familiar with other programs you mention, so I might be
misinterpreting your larger question.  On the narrower question about
having a lot of files open and creating a view into the open files,
Org-mode uses something it calls the Agenda.  The Agenda is extremely
flexible, so you can create pretty much anything you want with it.
I'm guessing that, with a bit of study and experimenting, the Agenda
can approximate a tabbed notebook.

There is a good Agenda tutorial here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php

HTH,
Tom

* Re: org mode as tabbed notebook
@ 2010-05-07 15:05 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-05-07 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: katepano; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:40:55 +0300, katepano <katepano@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I was wondering if somebody managed to use orgmode as atabbed
> notebook, like gjots, or the old keynotes program from windows which I
> miss a lot or even Ms one note. I tried using tabbed.el or speedbar,
> or the sitemap of orgmode but it was not satisfactory. Any way how you
> manage to have a lot of files open simultaneously, with the buffer
> list?
>
> Any ideas are wellcome!

Having never used any of the other tools you mention, I'm not sure
what functionality you are missing or desire.  Can you please expand
on this?  I use a number of tools to manage my buffers including
bs-show, ido and org's own org-iswitchb (C-c b).  I have used ecb mode
as well (which is a bit more powerful than speedbar), especially when
I am coding as well as writing, as it supports org files well enough
for my uses.

HTH,
eric

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: org mode as tabbed notebook
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-07 17:09 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-05-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: katepano; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

katepano <katepano@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello All,
> I was wondering if somebody managed to use orgmode as atabbed notebook, like
> gjots, or the old keynotes program from windows which I miss a lot or even Ms
> one note. I tried using tabbed.el or speedbar, or the sitemap of orgmode but it
> was not satisfactory. Any way how you manage to have a lot of files open
> simultaneously, with the buffer list?
>
> Any ideas are wellcome!

Speedbar, or even http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/sr-speedbar.el

works on the console too,