emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-02  0:26 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-02  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

I've cobbled together an exporter for the Tufte LaTeX classes, which I'd
like to contribute to Org mode contrib/.  A brief description of the
derived backend can be found below, and I've attached the
ox-tufte-latex.el file for the review described on
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html.

I've been using the derived backend for a while now and am happy with
how it is working.  The Tufte LaTeX classes (especially the book class)
require quite a bit of set up to work optimally, and I'll be sharing
what I've learned along these lines in the next couple of weeks.  Org
mode is a great tool for authoring Tufte LaTeX documents!

All the best,
Tom

                            ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                             OX-TUFTE-LATEX

                             Thomas S. Dye
                            ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The file `ox-tufte-latex.el' implements an Org mode export backend for
the Tufte LaTeX classes, which are designed to produce books and
handouts in the style developed by Edward Tufte.  The backend is derived
from `ox-latex.el'.

A characteristic of Tufte's style is a page layout with a wide margin on
one side (typically the right side) in which notes, references, small
tables, and small figures are placed.

The Tufte LaTeX classes implement several non-standard LaTeX commands to
achieve this page layout, including `marginfigure', `margintable', and
`sidenote'.  `Ox-tufte-latex.el' implements these commands.

The `marginfigure' command is controlled by a new LaTeX attribute
`:float margin'.  In addition, there are attributes to: set the offset,
e.g., `:offset 1in', which adjusts the position of the figure up or down
in the margin; the vertical alignment of figure captions, e.g.,
`:vertical-alignment t|b', so they align with either the top or bottom
of the float; and `:horizontal-alignment l|r' in case a figure and its
caption end up on different pages.

The `margintable' command is controlled by the LaTeX attribute `:float
margin' associated with a table.

The Org mode footnote mechanism has been hijacked to produce `sidenote'
commands, instead of `footnote' commands.  The `sidenote' command takes
an optional parameter for the offset, and this is implemented as a LaTeX
attribute associated with the Org mode footnote definition, e.g.,
┌────
│ #+attr_latex: :offset 36pt
│ [fn:1] Cook referred to Koa`a as Koah.
└────

[-- Attachment #2: Ox-tufte-latex.el --]

Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-02  1:10 ` Titus von der Malsburg
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2016-02-02  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

thanks for sharing this.  I’m looking forward to using it.  Do you
happen to have an example file that showcases the features?

  Titus

On 2016-02-01 Mon 16:26, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> I've cobbled together an exporter for the Tufte LaTeX classes, which I'd
> like to contribute to Org mode contrib/.  A brief description of the
> derived backend can be found below, and I've attached the
> ox-tufte-latex.el file for the review described on
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html.
>
> I've been using the derived backend for a while now and am happy with
> how it is working.  The Tufte LaTeX classes (especially the book class)
> require quite a bit of set up to work optimally, and I'll be sharing
> what I've learned along these lines in the next couple of weeks.  Org
> mode is a great tool for authoring Tufte LaTeX documents!
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>
>                             ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
>                              OX-TUFTE-LATEX
>
>                              Thomas S. Dye
>                             ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
>

> The file `ox-tufte-latex.el' implements an Org mode export backend for
> the Tufte LaTeX classes, which are designed to produce books and
> handouts in the style developed by Edward Tufte.  The backend is derived
> from `ox-latex.el'.
>
> A characteristic of Tufte's style is a page layout with a wide margin on
> one side (typically the right side) in which notes, references, small
> tables, and small figures are placed.
>
> The Tufte LaTeX classes implement several non-standard LaTeX commands to
> achieve this page layout, including `marginfigure', `margintable', and
> `sidenote'.  `Ox-tufte-latex.el' implements these commands.
>
> The `marginfigure' command is controlled by a new LaTeX attribute
> `:float margin'.  In addition, there are attributes to: set the offset,
> e.g., `:offset 1in', which adjusts the position of the figure up or down
> in the margin; the vertical alignment of figure captions, e.g.,
> `:vertical-alignment t|b', so they align with either the top or bottom
> of the float; and `:horizontal-alignment l|r' in case a figure and its
> caption end up on different pages.
>
> The `margintable' command is controlled by the LaTeX attribute `:float
> margin' associated with a table.
>
> The Org mode footnote mechanism has been hijacked to produce `sidenote'
> commands, instead of `footnote' commands.  The `sidenote' command takes
> an optional parameter for the offset, and this is implemented as a LaTeX
> attribute associated with the Org mode footnote definition, e.g.,
> ┌────
> │ #+attr_latex: :offset 36pt
> │ [fn:1] Cook referred to Koa`a as Koah.
> └────

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-02  1:49   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-02  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Titus von der Malsburg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Titus,

I have bits and pieces of a tutorial, which I plan to finalize and
contribute to Worg in the next week or two.  I'll let the ML know when I
have it done.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-02  8:52 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-02  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S.Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thomas,

thanks for this.  I look forward to seeing the tutorial on Worg!  I can
see using this format for "working" documents with colleagues (yes, I do
have some that use LaTeX and even org in one or two cases).
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-449-gd85ff3

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03  0:28 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-02-03  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mojn Tom,

I'm pretty invested in KOMA-Script but this is a great as a lot of
people really appreciate the Tufte package.

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> I've cobbled together an exporter for the Tufte LaTeX classes,
> which I'd like to contribute to Org mode contrib/.

My initial beef with your code it that it seems, from skimming the
code, to replicate a lot of functions from ox-latex.  This means
that when ox-latex.el updates, we might have to backport the
changes into ox-tufte-latex.  It’s already some work keeping
ox-beamer and ox-latex up to date (e.g. I added a some feature to
ox-latex and only realized much later that I hadn’t added it to
ox-beamer).

E.g. org-tufte-latex--inline-image is very much alike
org-latex--inline-image.

I don’t know to what extend it would be possible to minimize
replication.  Perhaps you already did this and perhaps my comments
are merely following from the fact that I did not study your patch
appropriately (I’m traveling ATM).

Another question is, what features would we need to make more
flexible in ox-latex in order to obsolete your class or reduce it
to an element in org-latex-classes?  Is there some areas where
it’s lacking for the purpose of "tufing" ox-latex output?

In any I’m very happy that you are working on this.  I hope the
above is not discouraging; that’s at least not what it’s meant to
be.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Vote for Dick Taid in an election near you!

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03  1:35   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-03  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Rasmus,

You've got it exactly right.  I read through ox-latex.el, found the
functions I wanted to change, copied them to ox-tufte-latex.el and added
a few lines of code here and there (using babel and noweb chunks).

It would indeed be easy to modify ox-latex.el so it supports the
non-standard commands of the Tufte LaTeX package.  I can send patches to
that effect, if you like.  Ox-latex would need to recognize a few new
LaTeX attributes and export marginfigure, marginnote, and sidenote
commands.  I hijacked footnote for sidenote, so this would probably need
some work to recognize when one or the other was needed.

The reason I originally decided not to suggest patches to ox-latex.el
is that the Tufte LaTeX package is a bit cranky and I was unsure of its
future. I thought it might be better to leave ox-latex to the more
stable and mature LaTeX packages.  I hadn't thought about backporting,
etc.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03  2:29     ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2016-02-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found this <http://damitr.org/2014/01/09/latex-tufte-class-in-org-mode/>,
but I'm not getting it to work. I assume it's outdated? Will wait for this
new effort of yours, Mr. Dye. this
<http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/6483/setting-up-a-latex-document-using-the-uggedall-or-tufte-latex-templates>
works
as straight latex on my system, so I know tufte-latex is good to go. Thanks
for the effort.

LB

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 11:05     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-02-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> It would indeed be easy to modify ox-latex.el so it supports the
> non-standard commands of the Tufte LaTeX package.  I can send
> patches to that effect, if you like.  Ox-latex would need to
> recognize a few new LaTeX attributes and export marginfigure,
> marginnote, and sidenote commands.  I hijacked footnote for
> sidenote, so this would probably need some work to recognize
> when one or the other was needed.

I've skimmed through the "sample-handout.pdf" of the tufte-latex
pkg.  marginfigure seems to be pretty similar to a figure except
that the environment is changed.  I wonder if it would be enough
to allow an :environment attribute to an image?

Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I guess
it would be an attribute to a footnote.  Which you incidentally
asked about.  Would you use more than one type of footnotes in a
single document?

Perhaps one could define footnote types, e.g. we now have [fn:N]
pointing to a footnote.  [xx:] could point to a note of type XX.
Of course what does this mean outside of LaTeX?  Perhaps an
explicit margin note would be more feasible.  I don’t know if this
is general interest though...

I don’t understand the difference between margin notes and
sidenotes from a 10 seconds skim.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
You people at the NSA are becoming my new best friends!

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 11:26       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-02-03 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-02-03, at 12:05, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I guess

Inline todos?

> Thanks,
> Rasmus

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 11:41         ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-02-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 2016-02-03, at 12:05, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
>> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I
>> guess
>
> Inline todos?

It's not really the same.  Inline todos are for temporary notes
(say bugs in your document) that you’d not want to keep in your
final document, I guess.

Rasmus

--
Need more coffee. . .

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 13:33           ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-02-03 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-02-03, at 12:41, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> On 2016-02-03, at 12:05, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I
>>> guess
>>
>> Inline todos?
>
> It's not really the same.  Inline todos are for temporary notes
> (say bugs in your document) that you’d not want to keep in your
> final document, I guess.

Well, this is more or less what I would use marginnotes for...  See
e.g. https://www.ctan.org/pkg/todonotes .

> Rasmus

Best,

--

@ 2016-02-03 15:41       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> It would indeed be easy to modify ox-latex.el so it supports the
>> non-standard commands of the Tufte LaTeX package.  I can send
>> patches to that effect, if you like.  Ox-latex would need to
>> recognize a few new LaTeX attributes and export marginfigure,
>> marginnote, and sidenote commands.  I hijacked footnote for
>> sidenote, so this would probably need some work to recognize
>> when one or the other was needed.

Oops, I meant margintable instead of marginnote.

> I've skimmed through the "sample-handout.pdf" of the tufte-latex
> pkg.  marginfigure seems to be pretty similar to a figure except
> that the environment is changed.  I wonder if it would be enough
> to allow an :environment attribute to an image?

My solution was :float margin.

> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I guess
> it would be an attribute to a footnote.  Which you incidentally
> asked about.  Would you use more than one type of footnotes in a
> single document?

Marginnotes aren't numbered.  I don't think there is a similar Org mode
concept.  I use a link to make them, so I don't need an Org-mode
counterpart.

,-------------------------------------------------------------
`-------------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps one could define footnote types, e.g. we now have [fn:N]
> pointing to a footnote.  [xx:] could point to a note of type XX.
> Of course what does this mean outside of LaTeX?  Perhaps an
> explicit margin note would be more feasible.  I don’t know if this
> is general interest though...
>
> I don’t understand the difference between margin notes and
> sidenotes from a 10 seconds skim.

Sidenotes are numbered.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 16:07             ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-03 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

Aloha Marcin,

> On 2016-02-03, at 12:41, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
>> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:

>>> Inline todos?
>>
>> It's not really the same.  Inline todos are for temporary notes
>> (say bugs in your document) that you’d not want to keep in your
>> final document, I guess.
>
> Well, this is more or less what I would use marginnotes for...  See
> e.g. https://www.ctan.org/pkg/todonotes .

Tufte uses marginnotes to communicate with a reader.  I think inline
todos and the todonotes package you linked are intended to communicate
with an author.  It might be well to keep that distinction.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 16:42         ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-02-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
> Oops, I meant margintable instead of marginnote.

Tables have an environment.  Is that sufficient (coupled with
:float nil)?

>> I've skimmed through the "sample-handout.pdf" of the
>> tufte-latex  pkg.  marginfigure seems to be pretty similar to a
>> figure except  that the environment is changed.  I wonder if it
>> would be enough  to allow an :environment attribute to an
>> image?
>
> My solution was :float margin.

Hmm.  How about a attr :environment for figures?  Wouldn't that be
sufficient for this problem.

>> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I
>> guess  it would be an attribute to a footnote.  Which you
>> incidentally  asked about.  Would you use more than one type of
>> footnotes in a  single document?
>
> Marginnotes aren't numbered.  I don't think there is a similar
> Org mode concept.  I use a link to make them, so I don't need an
> Org-mode counterpart.
>
> ,------------------------------------------------------------- |
> [[latex-opt:marginnote][The journals of Captain Cook and his |
> crew contain the first written descriptions of old           |
> Hawai`i.;-3\baselineskip]]
> `-------------------------------------------------------------

As you might’ve guessed, I’m not a fan of this solution.  Whether
it’s numbered or not in the output, a [mn:N] or [sn:N] reference
is more Orgish.  I cannot, however, speak to how difficult it
would be to add more note types.

Rasmus

--
Sådan en god dansk lagereddike kan man slet ikke bruge mere

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 17:15           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-03 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>> Oops, I meant margintable instead of marginnote.
>
> Tables have an environment.  Is that sufficient (coupled with
> :float nil)?

I think :float margin works well here, too.  Tufte has 3 table widths
corresponding to the width of the text block, text column, and margin.
Since :float multicolumn gives table* it seems most logical to have
:float margin give margintable.

>>> I've skimmed through the "sample-handout.pdf" of the
>>> tufte-latex  pkg.  marginfigure seems to be pretty similar to a
>>> figure except  that the environment is changed.  I wonder if it
>>> would be enough  to allow an :environment attribute to an
>>> image?
>>
>> My solution was :float margin.
>
> Hmm.  How about a attr :environment for figures?  Wouldn't that be
> sufficient for this problem.

Again, there is :float multicolumn which seems to me analogous to :float
margin.

>>> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I
>>> guess  it would be an attribute to a footnote.  Which you
>>> incidentally  asked about.  Would you use more than one type of
>>> footnotes in a  single document?
>>
>> Marginnotes aren't numbered.  I don't think there is a similar
>> Org mode concept.  I use a link to make them, so I don't need an
>> Org-mode counterpart.
>>
>> ,------------------------------------------------------------- |
>> [[latex-opt:marginnote][The journals of Captain Cook and his |
>> crew contain the first written descriptions of old           |
>> Hawai`i.;-3\baselineskip]]
>> `-------------------------------------------------------------
>
> As you might’ve guessed, I’m not a fan of this solution.  Whether
> it’s numbered or not in the output, a [mn:N] or [sn:N] reference
> is more Orgish.  I cannot, however, speak to how difficult it
> would be to add more note types.

It seems appropriate to me, given the existing functionality of Org mode
and the fact that a marginnote is not a standard LaTeX construct.
Though, I'd happily use something like [mn:N] if it were available.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-03 21:57     ` Spencer Boucher
From: Spencer Boucher @ 2016-02-03 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Titus von der Malsburg

Looking forward to that, Tom.

Thomas S. Dye writes:

> [...]
>>> attribute `:float margin'.  In addition, there are attributes
>>> to: set the offset, e.g., `:offset 1in', which adjusts the
>>> position of the figure up or down in the margin; the vertical
>>> alignment of figure captions, e.g., `:vertical-alignment t|b',
>>> so they align with either the top or bottom of the float; and
>>> `:horizontal-alignment l|r' in case a figure and its caption
>>> end up on different pages.
>>>
>>> The `margintable' command is controlled by the LaTeX attribute
>>> `:float margin' associated with a table.
>>>
>>> The Org mode footnote mechanism has been hijacked to produce
>>> `sidenote' commands, instead of `footnote' commands.  The
>>> `sidenote' command takes an optional parameter for the offset,
>>> and this is implemented as a LaTeX attribute associated with
>>> the Org mode footnote definition, e.g., ┌──── │ #+attr_latex:
>>> :offset 36pt │ [fn:1] Cook referred to Koa`a as Koah.  └────

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-12 18:28 ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-02-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Thomas.

> I've cobbled together an exporter for the Tufte LaTeX classes, which I'd
> like to contribute to Org mode contrib/. [...]

Having started with Org, Latex and Tufte-latex just a very little time
ago, I'd really like to thank you for your efforts. :)

However, I would appreciate some help with little details that I'm not
getting clear, mostly sure because of my ignorance.

+ what is the difference between using the :ignore: tag and add
"COMMENT" as the first characters in the line (the native Org mechanism
to prevent export)? I tried them and didn't saw the difference.

+ if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
"\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}"), it doesn't get
automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
act as a link.

+ using links as specific Latex markup seems a great idea. However, the
links face definition makes it specially visible, and impossible to
separate from any other URL since the properties are hidden. Can that be
tweaked (maybe not it your class, of course, but in the .emacs file or
similar), so as to keep the writing flow unperturbed?

In any case, thank you very much for sharing. Org as writing environment
+ tufte-latex as export really help to make great looking documents. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación. (Aristóteles)

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-12 19:02   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-12 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Mercovich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Eduardo,

Eduardo Mercovich writes:

> However, I would appreciate some help with little details that I'm not
> getting clear, mostly sure because of my ignorance.
>
> + what is the difference between using the :ignore: tag and add
> "COMMENT" as the first characters in the line (the native Org mechanism
> to prevent export)? I tried them and didn't saw the difference.

With the :ignore: tag the headline is ignored, but the text below it is
exported.  This is useful for situations like the front matter of a
book, which is mostly assembled by LaTeX.  The :ignore: tag allows you
to isolate the various LaTeX commands in your document so they are
separate from the headings with text that you'll write, but still
contribute to the export.

> + if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
> "\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}"), it doesn't get
> automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
> as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
> act as a link.

IIUC, I think you need to tell Org mode that this is a link:
\sidenote{see [[http://AgileManifesto.org]]}.

> + using links as specific Latex markup seems a great idea. However, the
> links face definition makes it specially visible, and impossible to
> separate from any other URL since the properties are hidden. Can that be
> tweaked (maybe not it your class, of course, but in the .emacs file or
> similar), so as to keep the writing flow unperturbed?

I agree that it would be useful to make the appearance of links in the
Org mode buffer configurable on a per-link basis.  Different colors for
different kinds of link might go some way to resolving the visual
ambiguities you describe.  However, I don't think this is currently
possible.

Expanding link functionality is something that has been discussed on the
mailing list every once in a while for the last several years, but this
is an idea that fails to find traction with the Org mode developers.  I
reckon they know best.

In practice, I mouse over the link to see the link type in the minibuffer.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-18 18:43     ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-02-18 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Thomas.

Sorry the late reply.

[...]
>> + what is the difference between using the :ignore: tag and add
>> "COMMENT" as the first characters in the line (the native Org mechanism
>> to prevent export)? I tried them and didn't saw the difference.

> With the :ignore: tag the headline is ignored, but the text below it is
> exported.  This is useful for situations like the front matter of a
> book, which is mostly assembled by LaTeX.  The :ignore: tag allows you
> to isolate the various LaTeX commands in your document so they are
> separate from the headings with text that you'll write, but still
> contribute to the export.

Ah, got it. Useful indeed, thanks. :)

>> + if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
>> "\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}"), it doesn't get
>> automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
>> as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
>> act as a link.

> IIUC, I think you need to tell Org mode that this is a link:
> \sidenote{see [[http://AgileManifesto.org]]}.

I tried it and still I have some issues...

I have Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-95-g1dbb25-elpaplus) and GNU Emacs
24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10).

Using the same org document as source, if I use the standard latex
export everything seems fine (except this sidenote link that does not
get hiperlinked as URL), but if I use tufte-latex (with "require
'ox-tufte-latex" in my .emacs file) I have a "PDF file produced with
errors" message. However, I can't spot the difference between both files
with my eyes (they have the same size, but diff says they are
different).

In both cases -orglatex and tuftelatex- the sidenote linke gets rendered
with the double brackets around and not as clickable URL.

How can I give you more info to diagnose this case?

>> + using links as specific Latex markup seems a great idea. However, the
>> links face definition makes it specially visible, and impossible to
>> separate from any other URL since the properties are hidden. Can that be
>> tweaked (maybe not it your class, of course, but in the .emacs file or
>> similar), so as to keep the writing flow unperturbed?
>
> I agree that it would be useful to make the appearance of links in the
> Org mode buffer configurable on a per-link basis.  Different colors for
> different kinds of link might go some way to resolving the visual
> ambiguities you describe.  However, I don't think this is currently
> possible.

Pity, but completely understandable.
Is it possible to do that in org for latex fragments (like putting
f"\sidenote{" and the closing "}" in a lighter face)?

Sorry if this is obvious but I'm relatively new to the Emacs-verse.

> [...] In practice, I mouse over the link to see the link type in the
> minibuffer.

Great tip!

Again, thank you org-tufte-latex. I can be a heavy user of this system,
so I hope to be of help to make it even better. :)

Best...

--

@ 2016-02-19  3:03       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-19  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Mercovich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Eduardo,

Eduardo Mercovich writes:
>>> + if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
>>> "\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}"), it doesn't get
>>> automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
>>> as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
>>> act as a link.
>
>> IIUC, I think you need to tell Org mode that this is a link:
>> \sidenote{see [[http://AgileManifesto.org]]}.
>
> I tried it and still I have some issues...
>
> I have Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-95-g1dbb25-elpaplus) and GNU Emacs
> 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10).
>
> Using the same org document as source, if I use the standard latex
> export everything seems fine (except this sidenote link that does not
> get hiperlinked as URL), but if I use tufte-latex (with "require
> 'ox-tufte-latex" in my .emacs file) I have a "PDF file produced with
> errors" message. However, I can't spot the difference between both files
> with my eyes (they have the same size, but diff says they are
> different).
>
> In both cases -orglatex and tuftelatex- the sidenote linke gets rendered
> with the double brackets around and not as clickable URL.
>
> How can I give you more info to diagnose this case?

I'll take a closer look at this and get back to you.  I'm writing for
print, so didn't consider this use case.

> Is it possible to do that in org for latex fragments (like putting
> f"\sidenote{" and the closing "}" in a lighter face)?
>
> Sorry if this is obvious but I'm relatively new to the Emacs-verse.

I don't know if this is possible.  Perhaps others on the list will know?

> Again, thank you org-tufte-latex. I can be a heavy user of this system,
> so I hope to be of help to make it even better. :)

Great.  I hope you find it useful.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-19  3:54       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-19  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Mercovich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Eduardo,

Eduardo Mercovich writes:

>>> + if I put a plain text link in a sidenote (like
>>> "\sidenote{see http://AgileManifesto.org}"), it doesn't get
>>> automagically converted to a link as it is in the text body. It appears
>>> as normal text and without the \url{...}, so it doesn't look and doesn't
>>> act as a link.

Tufte Org Mode uses the Org mode footnote mechanism to make the
sidenotes.  When I placed a link in an Org mode footnote and then
exported with Tufte Org Mode, I get a clickable link in the resulting
pdf file.

IIUC, you're using a LaTeX fragment for a sidenote.  In this case, I
think you'll need to treat the URL how you regularly treat them in
LaTeX, something like \sidenote{See \url{http://AgileManifesto.org}.}

My file looks something like this:

,---------------------------------------------------------
| Some text.[fn:2]

| * Footnotes
|
| [fn:2] This is Keli`ikea, see [[http://www.tsdye.com/]].
|
| #+attr_latex: :offset 36pt
| [fn:1] Cook referred to Koa`a as Koah.
`---------------------------------------------------------

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-22 17:59         ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-02-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Thomas.

[...]

> Tufte Org Mode uses the Org mode footnote mechanism to make the
> sidenotes.  When I placed a link in an Org mode footnote and then
> exported with Tufte Org Mode, I get a clickable link in the resulting
> pdf file. [...]

Because of some talk in the tufte-latex list, I may have a (too much)
old version of tufte-latex, so I'm working on this and I'll be back when
I have more information, probable on that list that is more specific
that this one.

In any case, thank you very much for your attention... :)

Best regards.

--

@ 2016-02-22 18:52           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Mercovich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Eduardo,

Eduardo Mercovich writes:

> Because of some talk in the tufte-latex list, I may have a (too much)
> old version of tufte-latex, so I'm working on this and I'll be back when
> I have more information, probable on that list that is more specific
> that this one.
>
> In any case, thank you very much for your attention... :)

Tufte Org Mode depends on the latest version of Tufte-LaTeX, which is
not the version distributed with most TeX distributions.  See
https://github.com/tsdye/tufte-org-mode#the-tufte-latex-package for a
bit of information on this and a link to the up-to-date version of the
package.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-22 19:35 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-02-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> I've cobbled together an exporter for the Tufte LaTeX classes, which I'd
> like to contribute to Org mode contrib/.  A brief description of the
> derived backend can be found below, and I've attached the
> ox-tufte-latex.el file for the review described on
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html.

Hi Tom,

Just gave this a whirl and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I
think I have all of the required LaTeX packages.[1] I may have missed
it, but I didn't see instructions that explicitly stated how to export
the file tufte-latex.org. I assumed I could just =C-c C-e l p= like a
typical LaTeX/pdf export? I've attached the output of *Org PDF LaTeX
Ouput* if that shows what might have happened. It's *pretty* close,
but the helix doesn't appear in the margin and the commands
\mainmatter, \backmatter, etc. aren't registering.

I added the path ~/.elisp/tufte-org-mode to .emacs and also accepted
the local variables with "y" when I started .emacs and opened the
file.

For another check, I looked at TexLive 2016's tufte-latex-book.cls:
```
$ head .texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tufte-latex/tufte-book.cls
\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}[1994/06/01]

%% note; handout is the same at v3.5.2
\ProvidesClass{tufte-book}[2015/06/21 v3.5.2 Tufte-book class]
```

I think that should meet the > v3.2 requirement (also looks like the
linked website is up to 3.5.2, so that seems to match with me being up
to date).

Anyway, hope that's a fair amount of information to help start the
troubleshooting process!

Thanks,
John

[1] note on that: xparse in TexLive appears to be provided by
l3packages, as an FYI. I tried `tlmgr install xparse` and got a
warning that it wasn't in the repository. Just a heads up potentially
for the docs?

> I've been using the derived backend for a while now and am happy with
> how it is working.  The Tufte LaTeX classes (especially the book class)
> require quite a bit of set up to work optimally, and I'll be sharing
> what I've learned along these lines in the next couple of weeks.  Org
> mode is a great tool for authoring Tufte LaTeX documents!
>
> All the best,
> Tom

[-- Attachment #2: tufte-org-pdf-latex-output.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 10399 bytes --]

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.16 (TeX Live 2015) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(/home/jwhendy/.elisp/tufte-org-mode/tufte-latex.tex
LaTeX2e <2016/02/01>
Babel <3.9n> and hyphenation patterns for 4 languages loaded.

(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tufte-latex/tufte-handout.cls
Document Class: tufte-handout 2015/06/21 v3.5.2 Tufte-handout class
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tufte-latex/tufte-common.def
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xkeyval/xkeyval.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/xkeyval.tex
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/xkvutils.tex
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/keyval.tex))))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xifthen/xifthen.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/calc.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/ifthen.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ifmtarg/ifmtarg.sty))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hardwrap/hardwrap.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/pdftexcmds.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/infwarerr.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/ifluatex.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/ltxcmds.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/ifpdf.sty))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/ifxetex/ifxetex.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/ifxetex/ifxetex.sty))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/titlesec/titlesec.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/titlesec/titletoc.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/hobsub-hyperref.st
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/hobsub-generic.sty
)) (/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/auxhook.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/hyperref.cfg)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/puenc.def)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/url/url.sty))

Package hyperref Message: Driver (autodetected): hpdftex.

(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hpdftex.def
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/rerunfilecheck.sty))
 (/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ms/ragged2e.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ms/everysel.sty))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/changepage/changepage.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/paralist/paralist.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/textcase/textcase.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/microtype/letterspace.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/setspace/setspace.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xcolor/xcolor.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/color.cfg)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/pdftex-def/pdftex.def)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/dvipsnam.def)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xcolor/svgnam.def))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/sauerj/optparams.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/placeins/placeins.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/mathpazo.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/helvet.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/bera/beramono.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/t1enc.def))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/textcomp.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/ts1enc.def))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fancyhdr/fancyhdr.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/multicol.sty)))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex1.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/etoolbox/etoolbox.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/logreq/logreq.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/logreq/logreq.def))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/blx-compat.def)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.def)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/bbx/verbose-trad1.bb
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/bbx/authortitle.bbx
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/bbx/standard.bbx)))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/cbx/verbose-trad1.cb
x) (/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.cfg)))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/booktabs/booktabs.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/graphics.cfg)))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/microtype/microtype.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/microtype/microtype-pdftex.de
f) (/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/microtype/microtype.cfg))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyphenat/hyphenat.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marginfix/marginfix.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty
For additional information on amsmath, use the `?' option.
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amstext.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsgen.sty))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsbsy.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsmath/amsopn.sty))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/morefloats/morefloats.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3packages/xparse/xparse.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3kernel/expl3.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3kernel/expl3-code.tex)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3kernel/l3pdfmode.def)))
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xpatch/xpatch.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/lbx/english.lbx)

Package biblatex Warning: Patching footnotes failed.
(biblatex)                Footnote detection will not work.

(.//tufte-latex.aux)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/ts1cmr.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/t1pplj.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/nameref.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/gettitlestring.sty
)) (.//tufte-latex.out) (.//tufte-latex.out)
ABD: EverySelectfont initializing macros
*geometry* driver: auto-detecting
*geometry* detected driver: pdftex
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/microtype/mt-ppl.cfg)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.mkii
) (.//tufte-latex.bbl)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/epstopdf-base.sty
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/oberdiek/grfext.sty)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/epstopdf-sys.cfg)
)
! Undefined control sequence.
l.54 \frontmatter
                 \maketitle
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1pplj.fd)
(.//tufte-latex.toc) (.//tufte-latex.lof) (.//tufte-latex.lot)
! Undefined control sequence.
l.76 \mainmatter

[1{/home/jwhendy/.texlive/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
! Undefined control sequence.
l.87 \backmatter

[2] (/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1pplx.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/omlzplm.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/omszplm.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/omxzplm.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1zplm.fd)
(/home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/bera/t1fvm.fd)
Overfull \hbox (0.10027pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 155--162
\T1/pplj/m/n/10 (+18) means that its position is determined solely by the L[]T[
]X engine. Note
[3] <hilbertcurves.pdf, id=52, 308.47346pt x 76.72565pt>
<use hilbertcurves.pdf> <sine.pdf, id=53, 505.89pt x 51.04068pt>
<use sine.pdf> [4 <./hilbertcurves.pdf>]
<helix.pdf, id=79, 221.8689pt x 201.71361pt> <use helix.pdf> [5 <./sine.pdf> <.
/helix.pdf>]
Overfull \hbox (1.07492pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 302--302
[]\T1/fvm/m/n/10 #+attr_latex: :font \footnotesize :float margin :offset [72pt]
[]
[6] (.//tufte-latex.aux) )
(see the transcript file for additional information){/home/jwhendy/.texlive/201
6/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/base/8r.enc}</home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dis
t/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb></home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-d
ist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmsy10.pfb></home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texm
f-dist/fonts/type1/public/fpl/fplrc8a.pfb></home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-di
st/fonts/type1/public/fpl/fplrij8a.pfb></home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/
fonts/type1/public/bera/fvmr8a.pfb></home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/font
s/type1/urw/palatino/uplr8a.pfb></home/jwhendy/.texlive/2016/texmf-dist/fonts/t
ype1/urw/palatino/uplri8a.pfb>
Output written on .//tufte-latex.pdf (6 pages, 96606 bytes).
Transcript written on .//tufte-latex.log.

* Re: ox-tufte-latex
@ 2016-02-23  0:00   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

I added a section to tufte-latex.org that gives some instruction on how
to use that file.  I hope it goes some way toward answering your
queries.  I pushed the changes to the github repo:

https://github.com/tsdye/tufte-org-mode

Some other responses interspersed below.

John Hendy writes:

> Just gave this a whirl and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I
> think I have all of the required LaTeX packages.[1] I may have missed
> it, but I didn't see instructions that explicitly stated how to export
> the file tufte-latex.org. I assumed I could just =C-c C-e l p= like a
> typical LaTeX/pdf export?

If emacs is finding ox-tufte-latex.el, then the (require
'ox-tufte-latex) in the Local Variables part ought to register the
derived exporter with (org-export-dispatch) so you see an option to
export to Tufte LaTeX.  You should be able to =C-c C-e T p= to export to
Tufte LaTeX and open the pdf file.

> I've attached the output of *Org PDF LaTeX
> Ouput* if that shows what might have happened. It's *pretty* close,
> but the helix doesn't appear in the margin and the commands
> \mainmatter, \backmatter, etc. aren't registering.

I changed the default class to tufte-book, so \mainmatter etc. are
registered.  I also included instructions about changing the class to
tufte-handout in case you're exporting the handout subtree.

The helix didn't appear in the margin because =margin= is defined as an
argument to :float in ox-tufte-latex.el.  The ox-latex exporter ignores
:float margin.  So, when you used ox-latex the helix wasn't placed in
the margin.

> I added the path ~/.elisp/tufte-org-mode to .emacs and also accepted
> the local variables with "y" when I started .emacs and opened the
> file.
>
> For another check, I looked at TexLive 2016's tufte-latex-book.cls:
> ```
> $ head .texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tufte-latex/tufte-book.cls
> \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}[1994/06/01]
>
> %% note; handout is the same at v3.5.2
> \ProvidesClass{tufte-book}[2015/06/21 v3.5.2 Tufte-book class]
> ```
>
> I think that should meet the > v3.2 requirement (also looks like the
> linked website is up to 3.5.2, so that seems to match with me being up
> to date).

A typo on my part, now fixed in the documentation to show 3.5.2.

> [1] note on that: xparse in TexLive appears to be provided by
> l3packages, as an FYI. I tried `tlmgr install xparse` and got a
> warning that it wasn't in the repository. Just a heads up potentially
> for the docs?

Fixed.  Thanks.

Let me know if you have other questions.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye