* [alot] reply from search mode
@ 2012-03-06 16:00 Philippe LeCavalier
From: Philippe LeCavalier @ 2012-03-06 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi.

How would I add a reply key binding to reply directly from the search
mode. ie something like R. Forward and editnew would be nice as well.

Thanks,
Phil

* Re: [alot] reply from search mode
@ 2012-03-06 21:17 ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2012-03-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe LeCavalier, notmuch

Quoting Philippe LeCavalier (2012-03-06 16:00:16)
>How would I add a reply key binding to reply directly from the search
>mode. ie something like R. Forward and editnew would be nice as well.

This could indeed be useful, but I'm not convinced this is a great idea in general:
What would that command do if your selection is a thread with multiple leaf-mails?
reply to the first? ask the user?

cheers,
/p

* Re: [alot] reply from search mode
@ 2012-03-06 23:16   ` Peter Wang
From: Peter Wang @ 2012-03-06 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke; +Cc: notmuch

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:17:47 +0000, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Quoting Philippe LeCavalier (2012-03-06 16:00:16)
> >How would I add a reply key binding to reply directly from the search
> >mode. ie something like R. Forward and editnew would be nice as well.
>
> This could indeed be useful, but I'm not convinced this is a great idea in general:
> What would that command do if your selection is a thread with multiple leaf-mails?
> reply to the first? ask the user?

I have yet to implement this in bower, but my idea is to reply to the
only message in the thread with the "unread" tag.  Abort if there is
more than one such message.

Peter

* Re: [alot] reply from search mode
@ 2012-03-07 14:21   ` Adam Wolfe Gordon
From: Adam Wolfe Gordon @ 2012-03-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke; +Cc: notmuch

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 14:17, Patrick Totzke
<patricktotzke@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Quoting Philippe LeCavalier (2012-03-06 16:00:16)
>>How would I add a reply key binding to reply directly from the search
>>mode. ie something like R. Forward and editnew would be nice as well.
>
> This could indeed be useful, but I'm not convinced this is a great idea in general:
> What would that command do if your selection is a thread with multiple leaf-mails?
> reply to the first? ask the user?

It's worth noting that this question is unresolved for Notmuch in
general. My reply patchset disables the CLI reply command for searches
returning multiple messages, which will also disable this
functionality in emacs. Right now it "works", but doesn't really
produce desirable behavior.