all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OCI-backed Guix System Services
@ 2023-09-20 14:47 paul
From: paul @ 2023-09-20 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear Guixers,

I was recently inspired from Nix's oci-container feature and wrote a
thin wrapper around the docker CLI to enable the management of docker
containers through Shepherd [0]. This enables handling of non packaged
services through guix system reconfigure and herd start/stop/status .

|(define(grafana-configuration config) | (oci-container-configuration
(image"|grafana/grafana:10.0.1"|)
(network"host")
(ports
`((,port."3000")))
(volumes
`(("/var/lib/grafana"."/var/lib/grafana")
;; Neededbecausegrafana.iniisasymlinktoaniteminthestore.
("/gnu/store"."/gnu/store")
("/etc/grafana/grafana.ini"."/etc/grafana/grafana.ini")))))

(definegrafana-service-type
(service-type(name'grafana)
(extensions(list(service-extensionoci-container-service-type
grafana-configuration)
(service-extensionaccount-service-type
(const%grafana-accounts))
(service-extensionnginx-service-type
grafana-nginx-locations)
(service-extensionactivation-service-type
%grafana-activation)))))

This is somewhat made up code, for a real world example you can have a
look here [1].

In the future it probably makes sense to be able to switch the "OCI
backend" to podman, for now I just wanted to figure out if it's
something that would be useful to the Guix community and if the
implementation looks right.

To conclude, I'm not advocating for adding OCI-backed services to Guix
mainstream: in my opinion they should be bootstrapped and built from
source, but I believe the actual "backend" implementation for such
services could be useful to have in Guix. What do you think?

Thank you for the wonderful community that Guix still proves to be,

giacomo

[0]:
https://gitlab.com/orang3/small-guix/-/blob/master/small-guix/services/docker.scm

[1]:
https://gitlab.com/orang3/guix-nas/-/blob/main/modules/nas/services/grafana.scm

* Re: OCI-backed Guix System Services
@ 2023-09-20 22:12 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-09-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

> I was recently inspired from Nix's oci-container feature and wrote a thin wrapper around the docker CLI to enable the management of
> docker containers through Shepherd [0]. This enables handling of non packaged services through guix system reconfigure and herd
> start/stop/status .

Neat!

> To conclude, I'm not advocating for adding OCI-backed services to Guix mainstream: in my opinion they should be bootstrapped and
> built from source, but I believe the actual "backend" implementation for such services could be useful to have in Guix. What do you
> think?

I think this could still be a valuable addition to Guix, because it
integrates with Shepherd and thus unifies management of system services
independent of whether they came from Guix or from elsewhere.

Because integration with Shepherd is nice I wrote the Swineherd which
serves a related need: https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/swineherd

--
Ricardo

* Re: OCI-backed Guix System Services
@ 2023-09-20 23:10   ` Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2023-09-20 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: guix-devel

On 9/20/23 4:12 PM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

>> To conclude, I'm not advocating for adding OCI-backed services to Guix mainstream: in my opinion they should be bootstrapped and
>> built from source, but I believe the actual "backend" implementation for such services could be useful to have in Guix. What do you
>> think?
>
> I think this could still be a valuable addition to Guix, because it
> integrates with Shepherd and thus unifies management of system services
> independent of whether they came from Guix or from elsewhere.

I completely agree. It would be so nice to have a unified interface to
manage everything!

* Re: OCI-backed Guix System Services
@ 2023-09-22 15:23   ` paul
From: paul @ 2023-09-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

On 9/21/23 00:12, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Because integration with Shepherd is nice I wrote the Swineherd which
> serves a related need: https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/swineherd

I saw that but I still haven't managed to find the time to play with it,
it looks quite cool :) I'd love to be able to drop docker compose for
local development environment in favor of something like the Swineherd.

giacomo

* Re: OCI-backed Guix System Services
@ 2023-10-02 14:52   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-10-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: paul, guix-devel

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>> I was recently inspired from Nix's oci-container feature and wrote a thin wrapper around the docker CLI to enable the management of
>> docker containers through Shepherd [0]. This enables handling of non packaged services through guix system reconfigure and herd
>> start/stop/status .
>
> Neat!
>
>> To conclude, I'm not advocating for adding OCI-backed services to Guix mainstream: in my opinion they should be bootstrapped and
>> built from source, but I believe the actual "backend" implementation for such services could be useful to have in Guix. What do you
>> think?
>
> I think this could still be a valuable addition to Guix, because it
> integrates with Shepherd and thus unifies management of system services
> independent of whether they came from Guix or from elsewhere.

I agree, this would be useful to many people I’m sure, in particular to
anyone who doesn’t dare switch to Guix System out of fear of not finding
a specific service.

If there’s a way this could be generalized so others can use it for
daemons other than Grafana, that’d be great.

Ludo’.

* Re: OCI-backed Guix System Services
@ 2023-10-02 16:54     ` Alexey Abramov
From: Alexey Abramov @ 2023-10-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, goodoldpaul

I am playing with Talos right now, which is a Kubernetes Linux
distribution. It doesn't provide any ssh access. You can configure it using
api only.

I am wondering if anyone wants to work (or working) on similar thing using
Guix, Shepherd and Goblins.

It would be great to just boot guix with shepherd and program the system
using scheme.

I haven't tested swineherd yet though.