all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com>
To: Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech>, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 17:29:40 +0100	[thread overview]

On 20.02.2022 14:16, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:
> I have a weird question about this that might be a little bit offtopic.
>
> Why should we specify reasons? It's like we are saying some reasons are more important than others.
>
> Is it not ok with...
>
>> our project and our community a harassment-free experience for *everyone*.
>
> ?
>
> That should cover everything.
> I don't think anyone is reading all the list and saying: "oh they are missing race so it's ok for a racist like me to join and harass people"
>
> It's just a feeling. It would also remove the discussion about including sex or not.
>
> WDYT?

I wouldn't have an issue with that personally, but I think it's meant to
make it clear that the maintainers are aware of various specific ways in
which people are commonly discriminated against in practice, to make it
clear that the commitment to anti-harassment is not just theoretical.

Not sure how to best describe what I mean, but one could use the following
analogy: why are there activists who see themselves as feminists, instead
of as humanists / human rights activists in general?  I'll just use a quote
from someone who's more eloquent than me:

  "Some people ask: “Why the word feminist? Why not just say you are a believer
  in human rights, or something like that?” Because that would be dishonest.
  Feminism is, of course, part of human rights in general—but to choose to use
  the vague expression human rights is to deny the specific and particular
  problem of gender. It would be a way of pretending that it was not women who
  have, for centuries, been excluded. It would be a way of denying that the
  problem of gender targets women."  -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

--
Taylan