all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
@ 2023-12-21 11:42 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-12-21 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 522 bytes --]

Hi Guix,

Because You are all fighting for the free software
I am asking You

which mobile phone would You support with which free software?
Some of You have surely much experience in it.

I am sorry, my question is not about Guix, but about free software.

I don't know who to ask, so I am asking You.
Or is there a website or a forum which would be able to help?

I will hopefully get a job and I need a mobile phone for it.
So I would like to support free software phones.

Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
@ 2023-12-21 13:49 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-12-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On Thu, Dec 21 2023, Gottfried wrote:

> which mobile phone would You support with which free software?

I'm not sure it is free but I am enjoying an ancient Google Pixel 3a
with CalyxOS.

For the first time in thirteen years, I felt comfortable typing anything
on a mobile device. I depended on phones until 2009 and then rejected
them. I am happy with what I have now.

For service, I use a JMP.chat number and their SIM card.

Please stick around, however, and you should get more sophisticated
answers. Thanks for using free software!

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
@ 2023-12-21 14:41   ` Nick
From: Nick @ 2023-12-21 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix

How did you enjoy with lease-up.com, or maybe Qualcomm?

@ 2024-01-08 10:21 ` Christian Gelinek
From: Christian Gelinek @ 2024-01-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On 21/12/23 22:12, Gottfried wrote:

> which mobile phone would You support with which free software?

I've been using LineageOS for many years now, without Google Services,
on a few different phones.  I'm exclusively using the F-Droid app store
with a few extra repositories like the Guardian Project, Molly F-Droid
and NewPipe.

My experience is that ironically, this setup works best on Google
phones, currently I'm using a Pixel 4 XL.

Of course, for Free Software purists, there are still many issues with
such "normal" phones: Non-free firmware etc.  But I feel it is
definitely a step in the right direction.

I also own a Purism Librem 5 but unfortunately haven't had the time to
experiment with it to see if it could - one day - replace my current
setup... last I looked there were still too many "rough edges" for my
liking.  But I'm hoping the situation will gradually improve.  Regarding
the Free Software aspect, this should be today's winner and I really
like the idea to run a "real GNU/Linux" phone one day.

Kind regards
Christian

* Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
@ 2024-01-09 19:44 ` Roman Riabenko via
       [not found]   ` <bb72b31570057834c0aa59322f8af965@posteo.de>
From: Roman Riabenko via @ 2024-01-09 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-guix

Hi Gottfried

У чт, 2023-12-21 у 11:42 +0000, Gottfried пише:
> which mobile phone would You support with which free software?

I have been using a Librem 5 device for the last five months. However,
I only needed phone calls, SMS messages, and XMPP chats via Dino. I
also developed a habit of constantly charging it with a portable
battery. The call quality is average, but the device was reliable.

It comes with PureOS, which is one of the FSF-approved GNU
distributions. The caveat is that the cellular modem and the chip
require some non-free firmware:
https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-
Questions#18-what-is-respects-your-freedom-certification-and-how-close-
is-the-librem-5-to-getting-it .

> I am sorry, my question is not about Guix, but about free software.

There have been some efforts to make the Guix System work on Librem 5.
I am learning to install a distribution on it and potentially test
something for Guix. If anyone here has any suggestions, I am open to
any experiments! I have noticed that Purism uses some development tools
for flashing that are missing in Guix.

> Or is there a website or a forum which would be able to help?

If your question is still relevant, you may want to take a look at
https://forums.puri.sm/c/hw/l5/ . The authors own various mobile
devices, not only from Purism, and are eager to tell about it. Beware
that some focus more on what they perceive as security rather than on
freedom.

> I will hopefully get a job and I need a mobile phone for it.

It depends on your job expectations. I have a separate phone for
clients who demand me to use non-free software for communication.
However, if you need only a phone number, you do not necessarily need a
smartphone.

Roman

* Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
@ 2024-01-10 11:14   ` Hipólita Yarona
       [not found]   ` <bb72b31570057834c0aa59322f8af965@posteo.de>
From: Hipólita Yarona @ 2024-01-10 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Riabenko; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix

On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 4:45 PM Roman Riabenko via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
> У чт, 2023-12-21 у 11:42 +0000, Gottfried пише:
> > which mobile phone would You support with which free software?
>
> I have been using a Librem 5 device for the last five months.

Could I ask how long on average does your battery last from full
charge to nothing? (I have a use that's similar to yours.)

@ 2024-01-12 17:06     ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2024-01-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

Am 11.01.2024 17:52 schrieb Gottfried:

> thanks very much.
>
> Unfortunately my new company didn't allow me to choose a mobile phone but they gave me immeadiately a Samsung phone with Android and all sorts of bad things like Google, whats app and so on.
>
> This company is spread worldwide and all the workers are connected with certain programms on this phone. The ID department is sitting in London/UK and they installed some security apps etc. on this phone. Laptop and phone is connected.
>
> I have to live with it and use it only for my work.
> Privately I use at the moment an old phone only for SMS, to be reachable via SMS.
>
> Gottfried
>
> Am 09.01.2024 20:44 schrieb Roman Riabenko:
>
> Hi Gottfried
>
> У чт, 2023-12-21 у 11:42 +0000, Gottfried пише:
> which mobile phone would You support with which free software?
>
> I have been using a Librem 5 device for the last five months. However,
> I only needed phone calls, SMS messages, and XMPP chats via Dino. I
> also developed a habit of constantly charging it with a portable
> battery. The call quality is average, but the device was reliable.
>
> It comes with PureOS, which is one of the FSF-approved GNU
> distributions. The caveat is that the cellular modem and the chip
> require some non-free firmware:
> https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked- [1]
> Questions#18-what-is-respects-your-freedom-certification-and-how-close-
> is-the-librem-5-to-getting-it .
> I am sorry, my question is not about Guix, but about free software.
>
> There have been some efforts to make the Guix System work on Librem 5.
> I am learning to install a distribution on it and potentially test
> something for Guix. If anyone here has any suggestions, I am open to
> any experiments! I have noticed that Purism uses some development tools
> for flashing that are missing in Guix.
> Or is there a website or a forum which would be able to help?
>
> If your question is still relevant, you may want to take a look at
> https://forums.puri.sm/c/hw/l5/ [2] . The authors own various mobile
> devices, not only from Purism, and are eager to tell about it. Beware
> that some focus more on what they perceive as security rather than on
> freedom.
> I will hopefully get a job and I need a mobile phone for it.
>
> It depends on your job expectations. I have a separate phone for
> clients who demand me to use non-free software for communication.
> However, if you need only a phone number, you do not necessarily need a
> smartphone.
>
> Roman

Links:
------
[1]
https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-
[2] https://forums.puri.sm/c/hw/l5/

* Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
@ 2024-01-16 13:34     ` Roman Riabenko via
From: Roman Riabenko via @ 2024-01-16 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hipólita Yarona; +Cc: help-guix