all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix lint questions
@ 2019-03-21  2:08 mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-03-21  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

I am preparing my first package.  I have questions about the output of
guix lint.

I have done:
`guix environment guix`
`./bootstrap`
`./configure --localstatedir=/var`
`make`
`make check`

On a new git branch I have added emacs-ace-link to emacs-xyz.scm which
is:

(define-public emacs-ace-link
  (package
    (name "emacs-ace-link")
    (version "0.5.0")
    (source
     (origin
       (method url-fetch)
       (uri (string-append "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-link/archive/"
                           version ".tar.gz"))
       (file-name (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
       (sha256
        (base32
         "0zcwz46lrfcmnv90wkhns03vmh3qjdd2m2qvfvs3wkyz5gh783rl"))))
    (build-system emacs-build-system)
    (propagated-inputs
     `(("emacs-avy" ,emacs-avy)))
    (home-page "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-link")
    (synopsis "Quickly follow links in Emacs")
    (description
     "Currently, to jump to a link in a @file{Info-mode}, @file{help-mode}, @file{woman-mode}, @file{org-mode}, @file{eww-mode}, @file{compilation-mode}, @file{goto-address-mode} buffer, you can tab through the links to select the one you want.  This is an O(N) operation, where the N is the amount of links.  This package turns this into an O(1) operation.  It does so by assigning a letter to each link using avy.")
    (license license:gpl3+)))

I have three questions about the output of:
`./pre-inst-env guix lint emacs-ace-link`

1)  What is the significance of:

;;; note: source file /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.scm
;;;       newer than compiled /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.g
;;; note: source file /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.scm
;;;       newer than compiled /run/current-system/profile/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache/
gnu/packages/image-processing.go

This shows up many times for different scm files.

2)  How should this be addressed?

gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm:1099:5: emacs-ace-link@0.5.0: the source URI should not b
e an autogenerated tarball

Line 1099 is referring to origin.

3)  How should this be addressed?

/home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm:1095:2: emacs-ace-link@0.5.0: line
 1113 is way too long (417 characters)

Line 1113 is referring to the text of the description.

Looking at other packages in emacs-xyz.scm there are other packages that
have longer descriptions than the one here for emacs-ace-link.