all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix lint questions
@ 2019-03-21  2:08 mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-03-21  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

I am preparing my first package.  I have questions about the output of
guix lint.

I have done:
`guix environment guix`
`./bootstrap`
`./configure --localstatedir=/var`
`make`
`make check`

On a new git branch I have added emacs-ace-link to emacs-xyz.scm which
is:

(define-public emacs-ace-link
  (package
    (name "emacs-ace-link")
    (version "0.5.0")
    (source
     (origin
       (method url-fetch)
       (uri (string-append "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-link/archive/"
                           version ".tar.gz"))
       (file-name (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
       (sha256
        (base32
         "0zcwz46lrfcmnv90wkhns03vmh3qjdd2m2qvfvs3wkyz5gh783rl"))))
    (build-system emacs-build-system)
    (propagated-inputs
     `(("emacs-avy" ,emacs-avy)))
    (home-page "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-link")
    (synopsis "Quickly follow links in Emacs")
    (description
     "Currently, to jump to a link in a @file{Info-mode}, @file{help-mode}, @file{woman-mode}, @file{org-mode}, @file{eww-mode}, @file{compilation-mode}, @file{goto-address-mode} buffer, you can tab through the links to select the one you want.  This is an O(N) operation, where the N is the amount of links.  This package turns this into an O(1) operation.  It does so by assigning a letter to each link using avy.")
    (license license:gpl3+)))

I have three questions about the output of:
`./pre-inst-env guix lint emacs-ace-link`

1)  What is the significance of:

;;; note: source file /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.scm
;;;       newer than compiled /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.g
;;; note: source file /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.scm
;;;       newer than compiled /run/current-system/profile/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache/
gnu/packages/image-processing.go

This shows up many times for different scm files.

2)  How should this be addressed?

gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm:1099:5: emacs-ace-link@0.5.0: the source URI should not b
e an autogenerated tarball

Line 1099 is referring to origin.

3)  How should this be addressed?

/home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm:1095:2: emacs-ace-link@0.5.0: line
 1113 is way too long (417 characters)

Line 1113 is referring to the text of the description.

Looking at other packages in emacs-xyz.scm there are other packages that
have longer descriptions than the one here for emacs-ace-link.

* Re: guix lint questions
@ 2019-03-21  2:37 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-21  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikadoZero; +Cc: Help Guix

mikadoZero,

mikadoZero wrote:
> I have three questions about the output of:
> `./pre-inst-env guix lint emacs-ace-link`
>
> 1)  What is the significance of:
>
> ;;; note: source file
> /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.scm
> ;;;       newer than compiled
> /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.g
> ;;; note: source file
> /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/image-processing.scm
> ;;;       newer than compiled
> /run/current-system/profile/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache/
> gnu/packages/image-processing.go
>
> This shows up many times for different scm files.

There is none.  These are mere warnings that the pre-built object
files no longer match the source files you have checked out
(i.e. the sources have changed).  They have nothing to do with
your package.

You can use ‘guix environment guix -- make’ to make them go away
if they really annoy you.

I just ignore them.

> 2)  How should this be addressed?
>
> gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm:1099:5: emacs-ace-link@0.5.0: the
> source URI should not b
> e an autogenerated tarball
>
> Line 1099 is referring to origin.

You're downloading a ‘github.com/…/achive/…’ tarball.  These
tarballs aren't guaranteed to be stable over time (GitHub can
regenerate them, changing the metadata and hence the hash, and has
done so in the past).

They must not be used.

Instead, use (method git-fetch), (git-reference …) and friends to
download the git repository directly.  Tonnes of examples of this
in Guix already, unfortunately, since many projects can't be
bothered to make proper releases…  GitHub culture?

See ‘progress’ in gnu/packages/admin.scm for an example.  Don't
forget to add (file-name (git-file-name name version)) when doing
this, by the way.

> 3)  How should this be addressed?
>
> /home/guix/u/guix/guix/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm:1095:2:
> emacs-ace-link@0.5.0: line
>  1113 is way too long (417 characters)
>
> Line 1113 is referring to the text of the description.
>
> Looking at other packages in emacs-xyz.scm there are other
> packages that
> have longer descriptions than the one here for emacs-ace-link.

Yes, but they're not all on one single line.  ;-)

Add a few well-placed newlines to wrap the text to eighty
characters and the warning will go away.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: guix lint questions
@ 2019-03-22 16:37   ` mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-03-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Help Guix

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I can now successfully run:
`./pre-inst-env guix lint emacs-ace-link`
`./pre-inst-env guix build --rounds=4 emacs-ace-link`