all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Upgrade 0.15 to .16 it doesn't work
@ 2018-12-30 18:19 Jone
From: Jone @ 2018-12-30 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Сannot upgrade system, i. g. guix. Its a first problem with upgrade from 0.13.
 I will try again to provide a output.
And I didn't read the manual carefully - a little time, sorry.  I'll
do this more closely later.

And additionally I would like to see two things:
2. external repo :)

(About 2: Nix export  - it doesn't work for me either. But we'll see:
XFCE, Whisker Menu - no sign of him.)

* Re: Upgrade 0.15 to .16 it doesn't work
@ 2018-12-30 21:28 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-12-30 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

Jone <yeger9@gmail.com> writes:

> Сannot upgrade system, i. g. guix. Its a first problem with upgrade
> from 0.13.

Upgrading from 0.13 can be tricky.  Try first to upgrade to 0.15 and
from there use “guix pull” to get the latest Guix.

--
Ricardo

* FAQ draft (Was: Re: Upgrade 0.15 to .16 it doesn't work)
@ 2018-12-30 21:45 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-12-30 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 2018-12-30 19:19, Jone wrote:
snip
> And additionally I would like to see two things:

Which questions do you propose to include?
Where would you suggest to place this faq? In the manual? website?

I just wrote the following suggestions to a GuixSD FAQ:

General:
* Is GuixSD a 'do-it-yourself' GNU/Linux distribution like e.g. Arch
Linux and Gentoo?
  * Yes and no. Both the distributions mentioned mess a lot with states
and configuration files in different formats and are based on a
completely different way of configuring the OS.
With GuixSD the goal is to configure /everything/ in the declaration of
the OS and never having to edit a single configuration file in some
obscure location.

The roll-back functionality of Guix makes it easy to undo almost any
changes to the state in Guix imposed by your fiddling with the
configuration.

GuixSD also makes it possible to /easily/ replicate a friends OS
configuration making it possible to collaborate and share your ideas on
how to configure the whole OS much more easily than traditional
distributions.

There are already up to a hundred shared operating system declarations
available online for your to copy or get ideas from.

* Is it a rolling release distribution?
  * Yes. But anyone could turn it into any stable or whatever release
model via 'guix channel'.

* How does channels affect the distribution?
  * They let you compose and maintain your own release of Guix.

* Any stable ones available yet?
  * No, not known to us.

* Can I easily share my installed system configuration and
package-manifest with a friend?
  * Yes. The declaration, usually a file called config.scm, used to
instantiate the system makes this easy. It contains no secret
information. The same goes for package-manifests.

* I am a complete GNU OS beginner. Should I use GuixSD?
  * If you are a beginner and want to use GuixSD, you must be willing to
invest time into learning a new system, and accept that GuixSD is
designed as a 'do-it-yourself' or 'copy-from-your-friend' distribution;
it is the user who assembles the system via a configuration written in
Scheme.

Before asking for help, do your own independent research by reading the
manual, searching online & searching the mailing lists. There is a
reason these resources were made available to you in the first place.
Many thousands of volunteered hours have been spent compiling this
excellent information.

* Is Guix going to be so good that people will have a hard time avoiding
it? When will the beta end?
  * We don't know yet. You can take a look at our ROADMAP
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/ROADMAP and look up the
latest features in the latest release statement.

Package-related:
* Why is compilation so time-consuming compared to substitutes?
  * Compiling is necessary to convert almost any modern program from a
high-level language (like Guile Scheme, Python, C++) to low-level
machine code.

Whether you compile yourself or let others do it for you, your ordinary
GNOME enabled desktop takes a total of about 3-5 days of compile time on
a consumer level 2-core Intel 64-bit PC.  *(is this accurate Mark?)

* How will I know if substitutes are available from the build farms
before running 'guix pull'?
  * Generally you don't. This is a missing feature. You are welcome to
help improving Guix or Cuirass to make this possible.

* Why do Guix mess around with environment variables when other
distributions don't?
* Why does environment variables need to be manually set sometimes in
GuixSD - could that not be automated?
  * If this is needed you have probably found a bug. Ie. right now many
package definitions lack search-path definitions (e.g. guile-readline,
guile-colorized, and many others) causing them to not be set automatically.

* Is package X available?
  * Maybe! Take a look at the package list of the website or search our
git-repo for the name.

If you are up for it, maybe you can package it yourself by importing it
*LINK,  following the package guide *LINK or by reading the package
descriptions of similar programs already in Guix.

Any thoughts?

See also
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: FAQ draft (Was: Re: Upgrade 0.15 to .16 it doesn't work)
@ 2019-01-03 10:57   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-03 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for this FAQ.  I agree it would be a nice addition to the manual.

I like many of your points.  The points I would not put however are those that
are likely to change sooner or later, for instance

>  * Any stable ones available yet?
>  * No, not known to us.

Besides, regarding

>  * Is package X available?
>  * Maybe! Take a look at the package list of the website or search our git-repo
> for the name.

I believe this is an important pointer to new comers (e.g. "I will only consider
switching to GuixSD if X and Y are packaged"), so we need a link here.

The official home page has https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ which is
a rather poor interface in my opinion.

So I would like to the much more convenient
https://guix-hpc.bordeaux.inria.fr/browse instead.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: FAQ draft (Was: Re: Upgrade 0.15 to .16 it doesn't work)
@ 2019-01-03 12:19     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-01-03 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help Guix