all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
@ 2024-02-21 14:00 Oleander via
From: Oleander via @ 2024-02-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,
I'm considering disabling substitutes on my current Guix system running on an old Thinkpad with an i5-2520M, 10GB of ram and an SSD.

Considered that many of you might be running Guix on something similar due to the compatibility between coreboot/libreboot and old Thinkpads, how long would it take approximately to build and upgrade packages like:

linux-libre
gcc
icecat
Emacs
Wayland/Sway
X11
EXWM
texlive-base
pandoc
alacritty

?

Thank you,

* Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
@ 2024-02-21 20:36 ` kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2024-02-21 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleander, help-guix

Hi Oleander,

On 2/21/24 9:00 AM, Oleander via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
 > Hello everyone,
 > I'm considering disabling substitutes on my current Guix system
running on an old Thinkpad with an i5-2520M, 10GB of ram and an SSD.

Build times will probably take a while if all substitutes are disabled
because you (might?) have to bootstrap the compilers.

 > Considered that many of you might be running Guix on something
similar due to the compatibility between coreboot/libreboot and old
Thinkpads, how long would it take approximately to build and upgrade
packages like:

I don't have a Thinkpad but I'll predict the packages with the longest
compile times.

 > linux-libre

If you customize your kernel for unnecessary modules, this speed up
quite a bit (on my machine I can theoretically cut the time by half).

 > icecat

This will probably take the longest.

1. Depends on bootstrapping rust first. With 10GB of RAM I'd suggest
using swap.
2. Is a "modern" browser. At least it should compile faster than
chromium, once all the Rusts are built.

 > pandoc

I'm not sure about this exactly, but it does depends on Haskell
bootstrap. Hopefully it's faster than Rust.

 > alacritty

Like icecat, requires Rust. The actual app should be relatively faster
to compile.

Personally to estimate compile times, I build binutils to get the
Standard Build Unit and reference BLFS for relative build times:
https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/

* Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
@ 2024-02-24 17:19 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2024-02-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleander; +Cc: help-guix

Oleander via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello everyone,
> I'm considering disabling substitutes on my current Guix system
> running on an old Thinkpad with an i5-2520M, 10GB of ram and an SSD.
>
> Considered that many of you might be running Guix on something similar
> due to the compatibility between coreboot/libreboot and old Thinkpads,
> how long would it take approximately to build and upgrade packages
> like:
>
> linux-libre
> gcc
> icecat
> Emacs
> Wayland/Sway
> X11
> EXWM
> texlive-base
> pandoc
> alacritty
>
> ?
>
> Thank you,

Prohibitively.
The word that comes to mind is: "prohibitively".

* Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
@ 2024-02-25  8:06   ` Oleander via
From: Oleander via @ 2024-02-25  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiasoc5, help-guix

Hi kiasoc5,
thank you.

Are substitutes in Guix System disabled by running `# guix-daemon --no-substitutes`? How can I see whether they are enabled or not?

From: kiasoc5 @ 2024-02-25 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleander, help-guix

Hi Oleander,

On 2/25/24 03:06, Oleander wrote:
> Hi kiasoc5,
> thank you.
>
> Are substitutes in Guix System disabled by running `# guix-daemon
> --no-substitutes`? How can I see whether they are enabled or not?

I don't know how to directly check the daemon, but you can see if `guix
build` would download source derivations or substitute derivations with
`guix build --dry-run ${some-pkg}`.

If substitutes aren't enabled, it should show several derivations with
compressed sources (store paths ending with *-src.tar.gz.drv or
*-src.tar.xz.drv), instead of paths not ending in .drv

Since you're running Guix System, you should configure the
guix-service-type to not use substitutes, like this I think:

(operating-system
   ;; modify services like in the manual
   (services
     (modify-services %desktop-services
       (guix-service-type config =>
          (guix-configuration
             (inherit config)
             (use-substitutes #f)))

* Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
@ 2024-02-26  9:14     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-02-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleander; +Cc: kiasoc5, help-guix

Hello,

Am Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 08:06:13AM +0000 schrieb Oleander via:
> Are substitutes in Guix System disabled by running `# guix-daemon --no-substitutes`? How can I see whether they are enabled or not?

guix-daemon --help
shows that that command line parameter is indeed --no-substitutes.

If it is enabled in the daemon, you can still disable it selectively
when running a command such as
   guix build --no-substitutes hello
(and similarly for other commands), but not the other way round:
If the daemon does not accept substitutes, this cannot be overridden
by a user.

To show how the daemon was started, you can run (as root or as a normal user):

ps -ef | grep guix-daemon

I get
/gnu/store/hjg036lfdkc26allhcxa0dffx1yiafqx-guix-1.4.0-16.aeb4943/bin/guix-daemon --build-users-group guixbuild --max-silent-time 3600 --timeout 86400 --log-compression gzip --discover=no --substitute-urls https://ci.guix.gnu.org https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
which also shows where substitutes are taken from.

Notice that substitutions may still fail if the ACL (the public keys of
places from which substitutes are accepted) is not set up; but I think
this is indicated by an error message when running a command.

Andreas