all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 14:47 Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2022-12-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

In the root of every project directory, I now include a
channels.scm file and a manifest.scm file.

I was using direnv to automatically launch guix shell, but I
wanted more flexibility to easily launch variations of guix shell.

Now I am also including a Makefile in the root of every project
directory so I can use "make guix-shell" or "make guix-container"
or "make project-documentation" etc to quickly run commands.

This works well for certain types of projects, but there could be
conflicts with projects that expect or automatically generate
their own Makefiles.

I could use a different Makefile name for my guix commands, but
that makes my commands less convenient to type.

Is it considered bad practice to use make like this? Is there a
better way to do something similar?

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 15:12 ` (
From: ( @ 2022-12-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro, help-guix

Heya,

On Wed Dec 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM GMT, Peter Polidoro wrote:
> Is it considered bad practice to use make like this? Is there a
> better way to do something similar?

All you need to do is have a ``guix.scm'' or ``manifest.scm'' in your project
directory, then add it to the ``guix shell'' authorised directories:

  echo $PROJECT_DIR >> ~/.config/guix/shell-authorized-directories

And then all you need to do is run ``guix shell'', and it will automatically
pick up that manifest or package file.

    -- (

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 15:26   ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2022-12-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: help-guix

> And then all you need to do is run ``guix shell'', and it will
> automatically
> pick up that manifest or package file.

That works well for just the "guix shell" command, but what if I
want shortcuts to a whole set of commands?

For example, I might want a command to automatically generate
project metadata from an org file running "make metadata":

metadata:
	$(GUIX-CONTAINER) -- sh -c "emacs --batch -Q  -l .init.el --eval
	'(process-org \".metadata.org\")'"

This seems to work well, but I just wondered if putting a Makefile
into every project root may cause conflicts for some build
systems.

Is there something better to use than make for such command
shortcuts?

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 15:38     ` (
From: ( @ 2022-12-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: help-guix

Heya,

On Wed Dec 7, 2022 at 3:26 PM GMT, Peter Polidoro wrote:
> metadata:
> 	$(GUIX-CONTAINER) -- sh -c "emacs --batch -Q  -l .init.el --eval
> 	'(process-org \".metadata.org\")'"

Why not just do:

  guix shell -- make metadata

? That way, people without Guix installed can use it, too.

    -- (

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 17:08 ` Wolf
From: Wolf @ 2022-12-07 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: help-guix

On 2022-12-07 09:47:16 -0500, Peter Polidoro wrote:
> I could use a different Makefile name for my guix commands, but that makes
> my commands less convenient to type.

I guess you could do something like

    alias ,make=make\ -f\ Makefile.mine

and then invoke it as

    ,make guix-shell

That will rid you of the risk of collision (especially if you pick
something more unique then Makefile.mine) while keeping it easy to
write.

But the alternative suggestion in this thread to do

    guix shell -- make metadata

seems like a better approach, since it does not make guix a required
component to build your project.

W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 18:27       ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2022-12-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: help-guix

> Why not just do:
>
>   guix shell -- make metadata

I do like the idea of not making it depend on guix.

One of the things I am trying to avoid, though, is typing long
guix commands.

When I type "make guix-shell", what I really want is something
like:

guix-shell:
  guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell --pure --check -m
  manifest.scm

Or if I am doing embedded work I might want type "make
serial-shell" to do something like:

serial-shell:
  guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell -m manifest.scm
  --container --expose=$(PORT) picocom -- picocom -b 9600 -f n -y
  n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)

I guess I am just curious how other people manage such long
commands?

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-07 21:01         ` Wojtek Kosior via
From: Wojtek Kosior via @ 2022-12-07 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: (, help-guix

> > Why not just do:
> >
> >   guix shell -- make metadata
>
> I do like the idea of not making it depend on guix.
>
> One of the things I am trying to avoid, though, is typing long
> guix commands.
>
> When I type "make guix-shell", what I really want is something
> like:
>
> guix-shell:
>   guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell --pure --check -m
>   manifest.scm
>
> Or if I am doing embedded work I might want type "make
> serial-shell" to do something like:
>
> serial-shell:
>   guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell -m manifest.scm
>   --container --expose=$(PORT) picocom -- picocom -b 9600 -f n -y
>   n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)
>
> I guess I am just curious how other people manage such long
> commands?

I recently came up with the same solution as you[1][2] :)

I haven't considered hard requirement on Guix a major issue. But I did
for a moment think about another solution to the same problem. I
believe it'd be possible to use a mere shell script instead of
a Makefile. Or a mere guile script or Python script (setup.py on
steroids?) :)

Wojtek

[1] https://git.koszko.org/pydrilla/
[2] https://git.koszko.org/koszko-org-server/

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #21: saint Kazimierz
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #21: święty Kazimierz
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Święty_Kazimierz
-- (sig_end)

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-08 10:44         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-12-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro, (; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,
On Wed, 07 Dec 2022 at 13:27, Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io> wrote:

>> Why not just do:
>>
>>   guix shell -- make metadata
>
> I do like the idea of not making it depend on guix.

[...]

> I guess I am just curious how other people manage such long
> commands?

Quoting [1],

                                                   I have a “general” script
    (named guixify) under ~/.local/bin/ which roughly reads:

    #!/bin/sh

    guix time-machine -C channels.scm  \
         -- shell --pure               \
         -m manifest.scm               \
         -- $@

    where manifest.scm and channels.scm are kept with the Git project.  I
    prefer to pin a specific Guix revision to avoid bad surprises. :-) Well,
    in a project, I just run:

        guixify make   # run make using the Guix environment
        guixify        # enter in the environment

Well and if I need a more complex command-line invocation specific to
the project, I have Shell scripts with the Git project; for instance
guix-serial-shell.sh

#!/bin/sh

guix time-machine -C guix/channels.scm         \
     -- shell -m guix/manifest.scm             \
     --container --expose=$(PORT) picocom      \
     -- $@

where I try to decouple what requires Guix and what not.  Well, I have
not tried, but the idea is then to run:

    $ guix-serial-shell.sh make serial-shell

where the Makefile contains the rule:

    serial-shell:
       picocom -b 9600 -f n -y n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)

(well, adapting for PORT :-))

Other said, in general, I have a Git repository which looks like

        .
        ├── COPYING
        ├── guix
        │   ├── channels.scm
        │   ├── extra
        │   │   └── packages.scm
        │   ├── manifest.scm
        │   ├── other-script.sh
        │   └── serial-shell.sh
        ├── Makefile
        ├── README
        ├── src
        │   └── code
        └── tests
            └── stuff

And the guixify scripts from above contains guix/manifest.scm and
guix/channels.scm instead. :-)

Well, I try to keep Makefile working without Guix.  And usually, the
folder guix/extra contains some packages that I use via --load-path, for
instance, guix-serial-shell.sh would have:

        guix time-machine -C channels.scm         \
             -- shell -m manifest.scm             \
             --load-path guix/extra               \
             --container --expose=$(PORT) picocom \
             -- $@

1: https://yhetil.org/guix/86wn9puqj7.fsf@gmail.com

HTH
simon

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-08 14:21           ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2022-12-08 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: (, help-guix

> where I try to decouple what requires Guix and what not.  Well,
> I have
> not tried, but the idea is then to run:
>
>     $ guix-serial-shell.sh make serial-shell
>
> where the Makefile contains the rule:
>
>     serial-shell:
>        picocom -b 9600 -f n -y n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)

I really like your approach and your directory layout, thank you.

So you are not concerned about Makefile conflicts or using Make in
ways that may not have been intended? Maybe I should just learn to
stop worrying and love the Makefile.

It does seem to add lots of complication in order to decouple Guix
from the Makefile, though, with all the extra shell scripts and
commands. In general I like the idea of software units being
decoupled, but realistically I never want to go back to life
before Guix. Spending too much effort making it work without Guix
just encourages other people to use bad practices I am starting to
think.

I do not know enough about writing Makefiles, but is there a way
to chain together the rules and targets so you could either use
Guix or not, like a "make serial-shell" and a "make
guix-serial-shell" with the latter prepending "guix
time-machine..." to the serial-shell command?

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-08 15:30             ` Wojtek Kosior via
From: Wojtek Kosior via @ 2022-12-08 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: zimoun, (, help-guix

> I do not know enough about writing Makefiles, but is there a way
> to chain together the rules and targets so you could either use
> Guix or not, like a "make serial-shell" and a "make
> guix-serial-shell" with the latter prepending "guix
> time-machine..." to the serial-shell command?

How about sth like

#+begin_src makefile
something:
	@ echo "Doing something"

guix-something:
	guix shell coreutils -- $(MAKE) something

.PHONY: something guix-something
#+end_src

Assuming you did put the above under /tmp you can try it out like this

#+begin_example
/tmp$ make something
Doing something
/tmp$ make guix-something
guix shell coreutils -- make something
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp'
Doing something
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp'
#+end_example

This is great for phony targets (i.e. ones that are not intended to
produce a file with the same name as the target). You're also not
forbidden from making `guix-` variants for non-phony targets the same
way. Although then the `guix-` variant will end up being phony anyway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #37: blessed Michał Tomaszek
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #37: błogosławiony Michał Tomaszek
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michał_Tomaszek
-- (sig_end)

On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 09:21:42 -0500

@ 2022-12-08 18:47             ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-12-08 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: (, help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 at 09:21, Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io> wrote:

>                realistically I never want to go back to life
> before Guix. Spending too much effort making it work without Guix
> just encourages other people to use bad practices I am starting to
> think.

Well, it depends on your collaborators, if you have. :-)

For instance, maybe your collaborators are using other tools than Guix
and they do not want to give a try for whatever reason.  Sometime, this
folder guix/ is not in the Git repository since some colleagues do not
want to be “polluted” by some extra files unrelated to the direct
project.

> I do not know enough about writing Makefiles, but is there a way
> to chain together the rules and targets so you could either use
> Guix or not, like a "make serial-shell" and a "make
> guix-serial-shell" with the latter prepending "guix
> time-machine..." to the serial-shell command?

You mean compose the rule, right?  Well, without being a Makefile guru,
I think you can have some recursion.

$ cat Makefile
ifndef GUIX_ENVIRONMENT
    todo:=echo
else
    todo:=hello
endif

stuff:
	@echo "Enter stuff"
	@echo "GUIX_ENVIRONMENT: ${GUIX_ENVIRONMENT}"
	$(todo)
	@echo "stuff done."

hello:
	guix shell -C hello make -- $(MAKE) stuff

.PHONY: stuff hello

$ make stuff
Enter stuff
GUIX_ENVIRONMENT:
echo

stuff done.

$ make hello
guix shell -C hello make -- make stuff
Enter stuff
GUIX_ENVIRONMENT: /gnu/store/qh9mcsp50kc21h505qvzj9asrkdk0bl1-profile
hello
Hello, world!
stuff done.

Note that the Makefile calls the Makefile but since it is run inside a
shell --container, then you need to provide ’make’.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-08 21:30               ` Wojtek Kosior via
From: Wojtek Kosior via @ 2022-12-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Peter Polidoro, (, help-guix

> ifndef GUIX_ENVIRONMENT
>     todo:=echo
> else
>     todo:=hello
> endif
>
> stuff:
> 	@echo "Enter stuff"
> 	@echo "GUIX_ENVIRONMENT: ${GUIX_ENVIRONMENT}"
> 	$(todo)
> 	@echo "stuff done."
>
> hello:
> 	guix shell -C hello make -- $(MAKE) stuff
>
> .PHONY: stuff hello
>
> [...]
>
> Note that the Makefile calls the Makefile but since it is run inside a
> shell --container, then you need to provide ’make’.
>

> Cheers,
> simon

What is the purpose of using `$(MAKE)` over just `make` in the recipe
in this case? It would only be appropriate if you wanted the same make
to be used for both the manual and recursive invocation, right?

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-08 23:04                 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-12-08 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wojtek Kosior; +Cc: Peter Polidoro, (, help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 at 22:30, Wojtek Kosior via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

>> hello:
>> 	guix shell -C hello make -- $(MAKE) stuff

[...]

> What is the purpose of using `$(MAKE)` over just `make` in the recipe
> in this case? It would only be appropriate if you wanted the same make
> to be used for both the manual and recursive invocation, right?

No specific reason.  Initially I wrote without the container option ’-C’
or --pure, so really recursive.  But then I checked if it also worked
with the container option ’-C’ and let the old $(MAKE) invocation.

In case reader is not convinced, here $(MAKE) does not refer to the same
’make’:

$ cat Makefile
stuff:
	which make

guixy:
	@guix shell -C which make -- $(MAKE) stuff

$ which make
/usr/bin/make

$ make stuff
which make
/usr/bin/make

$ make guixy
which make
/gnu/store/dp8bar2xgzwz1yfm9lcafqn3vhs2cjqc-profile/bin/make

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-08 23:24                   ` Wojtek Kosior via
From: Wojtek Kosior via @ 2022-12-08 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Peter Polidoro, (, help-guix

> In case reader is not convinced, here $(MAKE) does not refer to the same
> ’make’:

Of course it doesn't. The reason I pointed out this detail is because
if someone makes the first invocation differently, e.g. with

    /usr/bin/make hello

or, in case of the example Makefile from your last email, with

    /usr/bin/make guixy

I expect the command to fail with missing `/usr/bin/make` (which is
indeed not present in the container)

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-09 17:46                   ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2022-12-09 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Wojtek Kosior, (, help-guix

> $ cat Makefile
> stuff:
> 	which make
>
> guixy:
> 	@guix shell -C which make -- $(MAKE) stuff
>
> $ which make
> /usr/bin/make
>
> $ make stuff
> which make
> /usr/bin/make
>
> $ make guixy
> which make
> /gnu/store/dp8bar2xgzwz1yfm9lcafqn3vhs2cjqc-profile/bin/make
>
> Cheers,
> simon

I just watched the excellent 10 Years of Guix talk "Guix REPL—to
infinity and beyond".

I am not sure if you are the same Simon, but it made me wonder if
using guix extension could a nice way to solve these sorts of
problems.

Could I have a set of guix extensions local to each project so
that I can run commands like:

guix serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0

Which would really run something like:

guix time-machine -C .channels.scm -- shell --container
--expose=$(PORT) -- make PORT=$(PORT) serial-shell

Where some Makefile defines serial-shell:

serial-shell
  picocom -b 9600 -f n -y n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)

Maybe the path of the Makefile would need to be specified in the
extension somewhere.

That way non-guix users can just run the Makefile and guix users
only need to use the guix command. Or maybe the extension could
call a shell script if that is better for non-guix users than
running a Makefile.

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-09 18:38     ` Philip McGrath
From: Philip McGrath @ 2022-12-09 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner via

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022, at 10:26 AM, Peter Polidoro wrote:
>> And then all you need to do is run ``guix shell'', and it will
>> automatically
>> pick up that manifest or package file.
>
> That works well for just the "guix shell" command, but what if I
> want shortcuts to a whole set of commands?
>
> For example, I might want a command to automatically generate
> project metadata from an org file running "make metadata":
>
> metadata:
> 	$(GUIX-CONTAINER) -- sh -c "emacs --batch -Q  -l .init.el --eval
> 	'(process-org \".metadata.org\")'"
>
> This seems to work well, but I just wondered if putting a Makefile
> into every project root may cause conflicts for some build
> systems.
>
> Is there something better to use than make for such command
> shortcuts?

The ability to to this sort of thing is one of the interesting aspects of Nix Flakes. See in particular the “apps” output attributes and the `nix run` command: https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Flakes

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-10 13:21                     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-12-10 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: Wojtek Kosior, (, help-guix

Hi,

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 at 12:46, Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io> wrote:

> I am not sure if you are the same Simon

Yes, I am. :-)  Have we met?

>                                          but it made me wonder if
> using guix extension could a nice way to solve these sorts of
> problems.

Well, I do not know, I mean it is not clear for me what I would like as
an interface.

> Could I have a set of guix extensions local to each project so
> that I can run commands like:
>
> guix serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
>
> Which would really run something like:
>
> guix time-machine -C .channels.scm -- shell --container
> --expose=$(PORT) -- make PORT=$(PORT) serial-shell

From my understanding, there is 2 levels:

 + how do you call the Guix specific?
 + how do you implement this Guix specific?

Because calling “guix serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” or
“guix-serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” is almost identical. :-)

So the true question is how to implement?  If using Shell script
containing something like,

    guix time-machine -C .channels.scm -- shell --container
         --expose=$(PORT) -- make PORT=$(PORT) serial-shell

Well, the extension is just for fun; it would contain something like:

    (invoke "guix" "time-machine" …)

So the extension is replacing the dash by one space. :-)

Now, if instead of the command-line (guix time-machine …), you would
like to use the Scheme API, yeah you can do it using an extension.

From my point of view, in this case, maybe an extension is a heavy
solution when a quick script would just smooth the workflow.

Somehow, for the difference, give a look at patch#58339 [1],

 + [PATH 1/2] uses “(apply system* …)” instead of “invoke” but that’s
    the same idea,
 + [PATH 2/2] uses the Scheme API, sure trivially. :-)

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/20221006163609.2280960-1-zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>

HTH.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-12 17:55                       ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2022-12-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Wojtek Kosior, (, help-guix

> Because calling “guix serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” or
> “guix-serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” is almost identical. :-)

Yes good point.

> So the true question is how to implement?  If using Shell script

Using shell scripts would mean one script per command? I usually
have a set of commands that I would like to be able to run for
every project. I would like to minimize the number of extra files
in my project directory, so I would lean towards your Scheme API
option.

> From my point of view, in this case, maybe an extension is a
> heavy
> solution when a quick script would just smooth the workflow.

Maybe it is too heavy a solution, but I do like the idea of just
needing the channels.scm, the guix.scm, and maybe a Makefile for
people who do not use guix. Or am I wrong and I would need more
files than that?

I also like that a user could find information about the project
commands using guix help. Can command extensions be grouped into a
single sub-command so I would not feel like I am polluting the
guix command namespace? Like could I run something like "guix
project serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0" or "guix project help" to
get the set of project-specific commands that I added as
extensions?

Is there some sort of extension bootstrap process where you run an
intial command in the project directory every session to add the
extensions, then the extensions are available for future commands?

* Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
@ 2022-12-12 19:00                         ` Wojtek Kosior via
From: Wojtek Kosior via @ 2022-12-12 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: zimoun, (, help-guix