all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
To: Olivier Dion <olivier.dion@polymtl.ca>,
	"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu>,
	guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Emacs integration for 'guix shell'
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 11:15:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 at 14:30, Olivier Dion via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> dev-env:
> #!/bin/sh
> guix shell                        \
>      --pure                       \
>      dyninst                      \
>      gdb                          \
>      git                          \
>      guix                         \
>      lcov                         \
>      guile-quickcheck             \
>      perf                         \
>      lttng-ust                    \
>      lttng-tools                  \
>      --development libpatch       \
>      -- $@
>
> Note the latest script where I have development packages for libpatch,
> but also other utitilies that are good to have for developer.

Well, I am not happy with my workflow but I have something similar for
some projects.  However, instead of this list, I have a “general” script
(named guixify) under ~/.local/bin/ which roughly reads:

#!/bin/sh

guix time-machine -C channels.scm  \
     -- shell --pure               \
     -m manifest.scm               \
     -- $@

where manifest.scm and channels.scm are kept with the Git project.  I
prefer to pin a specific Guix revision to avoid bad surprises. :-) Well,
in a project, I just run:

    guixify make   # run make using the Guix environment
    guixify        # enter in the environment

I thought to write an extension but I am not convinced by the interface
I want. :-)

Cheers,
simon