all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-27 19:15 znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-03-27 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hi! I've learned that guix manual updates with the updates more quickly than manual's web-page.

But `info guix` is hard for using. I like html.
Please, let me know if it is possible to transform `info guix` to text file or html or pdf?

PS: I tried to learn `info` commands but using mouse and search by web-page in browser is better.

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-28 18:52 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2019-03-28 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

<znavko@tutanota.com> writes:

> Hi! I've learned that guix manual updates with the updates more quickly than manual's web-page.
>
> But `info guix` is hard for using. I like html.
> Please, let me know if it is possible to transform `info guix` to text file or html or pdf?
>
> PS: I tried to learn `info` commands but using mouse and search by web-page in browser is better.

You could call a ‘make html’ command inside Guix Git repository
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-from-Git.html

Then ‘firefox doc/guix.html/index.html’ will open a fresh manual.

Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-28 19:11   ` Quiliro Ordonez
From: Quiliro Ordonez @ 2019-03-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

El 2019-03-28 18:52, Oleg Pykhalov escribió:
> Hi,
>
> <znavko@tutanota.com> writes:
>
>> Hi! I've learned that guix manual updates with the updates more quickly than manual's web-page.
>>
>> But `info guix` is hard for using. I like html.
>> Please, let me know if it is possible to transform `info guix` to text file or html or pdf?
>>
>> PS: I tried to learn `info` commands but using mouse and search by web-page in browser is better.
>
> You could call a ‘make html’ command inside Guix Git repository
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-from-Git.html
>
> Then ‘firefox doc/guix.html/index.html’ will open a fresh manual.
>
> Oleg.

Thanks Oleg. Nice to know.

It would be nice if that would be the published version of the manual.

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-28 19:30 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2019-03-28 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

<znavko@tutanota.com> writes:

> Hi! I've learned that guix manual updates with the updates more quickly than
> manual's web-page.
>
> But `info guix` is hard for using. I like html.
> Please, let me know if it is possible to transform `info guix` to text file or html or pdf?

It is possible to convert info into html and pdf.  Guix's manual changes
all the time.  Trying to keep the website up-to-date is a tough task.
Perhaps you would like to give this a try?

> PS: I tried to learn `info` commands but using mouse and search by web-page in
> browser is better.

I used to feel the same way.  But info is super cool once you get the
hang of it.  It is especially awesome inside emacs.  M-x helm-info-guix
is probably my favorite command.  It lets you search through all of the
guix documentation.  Try going through the info tutorial.  "info info".
It'll be dividends.

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-28 20:29   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-28 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> Guix's manual changes
> all the time.  Trying to keep the website up-to-date is a tough task.

It is a decision, not a technical limitation.  We want the public copy
of the manual to match the latest release, not an arbitrary later
version.

--
Ricardo

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-28 20:31     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-28 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordonez; +Cc: help-guix

Quiliro Ordonez <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:

>> You could call a ‘make html’ command inside Guix Git repository
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-from-Git.html
[…]
> It would be nice if that would be the published version of the manual.

The published manual on the website is roughly equivalent the output of
“make html” (generated via a gnulib script).

It just is not the manual for an arbitrary later version of Guix but for
the version that people can actually download, namely the latest release.

--
Ricardo

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-28 22:41     ` Quiliro Ordonez
From: Quiliro Ordonez @ 2019-03-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

El 2019-03-28 20:29, Ricardo Wurmus escribió:
> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
>
>> Guix's manual changes
>> all the time.  Trying to keep the website up-to-date is a tough task.
>
> It is a decision, not a technical limitation.  We want the public copy
> of the manual to match the latest release, not an arbitrary later
> version.

Sounds reasonable.

So, would a link to an "alfa" version be possible to place on the web?
Is it complicated to generate automatically each day with a cron job?

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-29  3:00       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-29  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quiliro; +Cc: help-guix

Quiliro Ordonez <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:

> El 2019-03-28 20:29, Ricardo Wurmus escribió:
>> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
>>
>>> Guix's manual changes
>>> all the time.  Trying to keep the website up-to-date is a tough task.
>>
>> It is a decision, not a technical limitation.  We want the public copy
>> of the manual to match the latest release, not an arbitrary later
>> version.
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>
> So, would a link to an "alfa" version be possible to place on the web?
> Is it complicated to generate automatically each day with a cron job?

I wanted to always show the latest manual on guix.info (where it’s
easier for us to update the pages), but I haven’t gotten around to doing
that yet.

--
Ricardo

* Re: how to translate info guix to text file or pdf or html ?
@ 2019-03-29  9:45   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-03-29  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: Help Guix

Thank you, Oleg. It took about 1 hour to execute.

$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git>
$ cd guix
$ guix environment guix
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure --localstatedir=/home/user/git/guix
$ make
$ make html

And I've got the directory doc/guix.html with manual. Works!

Mar 28, 2019, 6:52 PM by go.wigust@gmail.com:

@ 2019-03-29  9:47   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-03-29  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: Help Guix

Is it possible to compile into one page manual?

@ 2019-03-29 13:40     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2019-03-29 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

<znavko@tutanota.com> writes:

> Is it possible to compile into one page manual?

I believe it is.  Most GNU manuals online can be served as a single
page.

For example, guile-SDL can be served on one page.  Take a look here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-sdl/manual/

You can also read all the other GNU manuals here:

https://www.gnu.org/manual/

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus