all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Kicad missing symbols and footprints
@ 2023-10-17  6:12 phodina via
From: phodina via @ 2023-10-17  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: peter@polidoro.io

does somebody use Kicad on Guix? If so how do you load the symbols and footprints.

The point still to /gnu/store/<HASH>-kicad-7.0.8 but they are in kicad-symbols and kicad-footprints packages.

I've changed the paths appropriately as well as cloned the repo to home dir but I always get just an empty list.

```
$ guix show kicad
name: kicad
version: 7.0.8
outputs:
+ out: everything
systems: x86_64-linux
dependencies: bash-minimal@5.1.16 boost@1.80.0 cairo@1.16.0
+ curl@7.85.0 desktop-file-utils@0.26 gdk-pixbuf@2.42.8
+ gettext-minimal@0.21 glew@2.2.0 glm@0.9.9.8 gtk+@3.24.37
+ hicolor-icon-theme@0.17 libngspice@41 libsm@1.2.3 mesa@23.1.4
+ opencascade-occt@7.6.2 openssl@3.0.8 pkg-config@0.29.2
+ python-wrapper@3.10.7 python-wxpython@4.2.0 swig@4.0.2+ unixodbc@2.3.9 wxwidgets@3.2.2.1 zlib@1.2.13
```
Petr

[-- Attachment #2: symbols-missing.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 85186 bytes --]

* Re: Kicad missing symbols and footprints
@ 2023-10-17  9:10 ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2023-10-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: peter@polidoro.io, help-guix

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> skribis:

> Hi,
>
> does somebody use Kicad on Guix? If so how do you load the symbols and footprints.
>
> The point still to /gnu/store/<HASH>-kicad-7.0.8 but they are in kicad-symbols and kicad-footprints packages.
>
> I've changed the paths appropriately as well as cloned the repo to home dir but I always get just an empty list.
>
> ```
> $ guix show kicad
> name: kicad
> version: 7.0.8
> outputs:
> + out: everything
> systems: x86_64-linux
> dependencies: bash-minimal@5.1.16 boost@1.80.0 cairo@1.16.0
> + curl@7.85.0 desktop-file-utils@0.26 gdk-pixbuf@2.42.8
> + gettext-minimal@0.21 glew@2.2.0 glm@0.9.9.8 gtk+@3.24.37
> + hicolor-icon-theme@0.17 libngspice@41 libsm@1.2.3 mesa@23.1.4
> + opencascade-occt@7.6.2 openssl@3.0.8 pkg-config@0.29.2
> + python-wrapper@3.10.7 python-wxpython@4.2.0 swig@4.0.2+ unixodbc@2.3.9 wxwidgets@3.2.2.1 zlib@1.2.13
> ```
> Petr

Hi.
If you install the kicad-symbols and kicad-footprints packages, kicad
should be able to find them using the KICAD7_*_DIR environment
variables.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Kicad missing symbols and footprints
@ 2023-10-17 13:46   ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2023-10-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Le Vaillant; +Cc: phodina, help-guix

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi.
> If you install the kicad-symbols and kicad-footprints packages,
> kicad
> should be able to find them using the KICAD7_*_DIR environment
> variables.

For example, on the command line run:

guix shell kicad kicad-footprints kicad-symbols -- kicad

This puts links to the footprints and symbols into the shell
profile and updates the kicad paths automatically. You do not need
to change the paths manually or clone anything into your home
directory.

* Re: Kicad missing symbols and footprints
@ 2023-10-17 18:14     ` phodina
From: phodina @ 2023-10-17 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant, help-guix

Hi Peter and Guillaume,

thanks for the help.

I've tried to use the Guix shell to have a complete environment for Kicad but for some reason it does not work (at least for me)

So here are the steps to reproduce:

$ guix shell kicad kicad-footprints kicad-symbols -- kicad

I start I new project and when I get the dialog about the components I wish to use in the project it all starts to go wrong.

The path to the symbols and footprints is also attached.

I've removed all files from `~/.config/kicad` and `~/.local/share/kicad`.

----
Petr

[-- Attachment #2: step4.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 21480 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: step5.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 14601 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: step1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 12809 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: step6.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31096 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #6: step2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 80023 bytes --]

* Re: Kicad missing symbols and footprints
@ 2023-10-18 13:42       ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2023-10-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant, help-guix

phodina <phodina@protonmail.com> writes:

> [1. text/plain]
> Hi Peter and Guillaume,
>
> thanks for the help.
>
> I've tried to use the Guix shell to have a complete environment
> for Kicad but for some reason it does not work (at least for me)
>
> So here are the steps to reproduce:
>
> $ guix shell kicad kicad-footprints kicad-symbols -- kicad
>
> I start I new project and when I get the dialog about the
> components I wish to use in the project it all starts to go
> wrong.

The KICAD7_FOOTPRINT_DIR path seems like it is referring to a
different profile. Did you change that environment variable
manually or did that happen automatically? Maybe try passing the
--pure option to guix shell to clear the environment variable
definitions found in the parent environment.

$ guix shell --pure kicad kicad-footprints kicad-symbols -- kicad

* Re: Kicad missing symbols and footprints
@ 2023-10-26 15:24       ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2023-10-26 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant, help-guix

phodina <phodina@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi Peter and Guillaume,
>
> thanks for the help.
>
> I've tried to use the Guix shell to have a complete environment
> for Kicad but for some reason it does not work (at least for me)
>
> So here are the steps to reproduce:
>
> $ guix shell kicad kicad-footprints kicad-symbols -- kicad
>
> I start I new project and when I get the dialog about the
> components I wish to use in the project it all starts to go
> wrong.
>
> The path to the symbols and footprints is also attached.

I may be running into a similar problem.

I modified the kicad package to set the KICAD7_3RD_PARTY
environment variable as a native search path.

The environment variable is set properly according to the env
shell command, but kicad reports the path as a concatenation of
the default value and the environment variable.

If there is not a problem with guix concatentating environment
variables somehow, then I assume there may be a bug in the kicad
source code regarding environment variables.

I reported the issue to the kicad developers, but have not heard
any response yet.