all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
@ 2018-03-15 20:47 Muto
From: Muto @ 2018-03-15 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I am running the Guix package manager on Ubuntu (17.10), but whenever I
try to do anything as a non-root user, I get an error:

failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection
refused

I've tried this for every command listed in 'guix -h'
I can 'chmod -R 777 /var' or 'chmod -R 777 /gnu' but these seem to do
nothing.

I get the same "Connection refused" error both on using 'sudo' and with
using Guix as the root account. I can still run all of the programs I
installed via Guix, I just cannot use the package management utility
anymore.

I'm sorry to be a bother, but I've been a little frustrated with Guix
lately and I could not find a viable solution online.

--
Thank you in advance. -Muto
https://muto.ca/

* Re: Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
       [not found] <87lgetnk0z.fsf@shack@muto.ca>
@ 2018-03-16  1:59 ` Eric Bavier
       [not found]   ` <5aab63f0.e92fc80a.565cd.dcffSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Eric Bavier @ 2018-03-16  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muto; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:47:24 -0600
Muto <shack@muto.ca> wrote:

> I am running the Guix package manager on Ubuntu (17.10), but whenever I
> try to do anything as a non-root user, I get an error:
>
> failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection
> refused

Have you started the guix-daemon?

`~Eric

* Re: Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
@ 2018-03-16  6:27   ` shack
       [not found]   ` <5aab63f0.e92fc80a.565cd.dcffSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: shack @ 2018-03-16  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: help-guix

Hello, Eric,

The Guix daemon was active and enabled when I checked systemctl, and a
daemon reload didn't work, either.
A reboot seemed to do the trick, at least I was able to successfully run 'guix build guix' after that.

But now when I try to run 'guix pull' to update my packages, I get:

Updating from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
guix pull: error: mkdir: Permission denied

guix pull works as the root user (or at least it runs, I'm still waiting
to see if it exits with no errors), but not as 'sudo' from my non-root
account (that one just spits out a somewhat lengthy error that I cannot
remember by heart)

-Muto

* Re: Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
       [not found] <5aab03ed.c696370a.3c18e.2ccdSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2018-03-16  6:28 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-16  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muto; +Cc: help-guix

> Hello,
>
> I am running the Guix package manager on Ubuntu (17.10), but whenever I
> try to do anything as a non-root user, I get an error:
>
> failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection
> refused
>
> I've tried this for every command listed in 'guix -h'
> I can 'chmod -R 777 /var' or 'chmod -R 777 /gnu' but these seem to do
> nothing.
>

> I get the same "Connection refused" error both on using 'sudo' and with
> using Guix as the root account. I can still run all of the programs I
> installed via Guix, I just cannot use the package management utility
> anymore.
>
> I'm sorry to be a bother, but I've been a little frustrated with Guix
> lately and I could not find a viable solution online.

that's why the help liist exists, no bother :-)

Sounds like your daemon is not running

Wold you mind to paste the otput of

ps -e | grep guix

In case it's not running, thhere's an excerpt in the manual about how to
make it run

It's the step no. 5 in the "Binaty Installation" chapter

It's strange that your daemon is not running

Maybe you used the experimental script in order to install your guix ?

Anyway, paste te output of that line, then we'll see how to procede

Hope this hepls !
Ciao :-)

@ 2018-03-16  6:30     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-16  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muto; +Cc: help-guix

> Hello, Eric,
>
> The Guix daemon was active and enabled when I checked systemctl, and a
> daemon reload didn't work, either.
> A reboot seemed to do the trick, at least I was able to successfully run
> 'guix build guix' after that.
>
> But now when I try to run 'guix pull' to update my packages, I get:
>
> Updating from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/
> git/guix.git'...
> guix pull: error: mkdir: Permission denied
>
> guix pull works as the root user (or at least it runs, I'm still waiting
> to see if it exits with no errors), but not as 'sudo' from my non-root
> account (that one just spits out a somewhat lengthy error that I cannot
> remember by heart)
>
> -Muto

this is more difficult, for me at least

I know it´ s past midnight where you live

Go to sleep now, tomorrow you'll find some answers !

* Re: Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
       [not found] <5aab63ea.8922c80a.cee0a.1020SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2018-03-16 14:37 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2018-03-16 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shack; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

shack@muto.ca writes:

> The Guix daemon was active and enabled when I checked systemctl, and a
> daemon reload didn't work, either.
> A reboot seemed to do the trick, at least I was able to successfully
> run 'guix build guix' after that.

This means the ‘guix-daemon’ daemon works.

> But now when I try to run 'guix pull' to update my packages, I get:
>
> Updating from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
> guix pull: error: mkdir: Permission denied

Do you have wrong permissions somewhere in ‘~/.cache/guix/pull/’?  In
case it is true a durty fast sollution is ‘rm -rf ~/.cache/guix’.  Also,
make sure you could write to ‘~/.cache’ with touch ‘~/.cache/test’.

> guix pull works as the root user (or at least it runs, I'm still waiting
> to see if it exits with no errors), but not as 'sudo' from my non-root
> account (that one just spits out a somewhat lengthy error that I cannot
> remember by heart)

If it works for a ‘root’ user, I guess it will work for a new user
account, which you could create with ‘useradd -m bob’ and switch to it
with ‘sudo -u bob -i’.

Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
@ 2018-03-17  0:11   ` Melon
From: Melon @ 2018-03-17  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: help-guix

Thank you for the advice, Oleg.

Creating a new user worked, if I cannot find an answer I can always
switch to a new account.

I removed ~/.cache/guix and it almost worked. I'm now getting a different
error when running 'guix pull':

guix pull: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz' for system 'x86_64-linux'

This error is the same with most other Guix commands (package -i, package -r,
build, weather).

* Re: Failed to connect to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused
@ 2023-09-21  9:13 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2023-09-21  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

In my case I had the same error after guix system reconfigure on
native Guix system.
The suggested brute method gave me no result.
I've deleted the socket file and restart daemon which helped to
resolve guix pull issue

Steps:
~$ sudo su                                                   # to become root
~# rm -rfv /var/guix/daemon-socket/socket  # remove curpted socket file
~# herd restart guix-daemon                        # restart daemon
~# herd status guix-daemon                        # check daemon is running
~# guix pull                                                  # make
sure pull is working again

Thanks,
Olet
--
… наш разум - превосходная объяснительная машина которая способна
найти смысл почти в чем угодно, истолковать любой феномен, но