all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* postgresql again
@ 2017-09-10 17:49 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-09-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I have a postgresql service in my config.scm file

but I don't use it

Today I needed it to figure out how postgres works (because of my attempt
to create a service for Tryton) and I discovered that it's stopped

~$ sudo herd status
Stopped:
 - postgres
 - user-homes

and if I try to start it, it fails
~$ sudo herd start postgres
Service postgres is currently disabled.
herd: failed to start service postgres

I can "enable" and then start it but that doeesn't resist a reboot

This was discussed in the past and it had to do with postgres being updated
BUT it was reported back then that there were messages in var/log/messages
about how the data folder had been initializzed with a previous version of
postgres and that was incompatible with the new one

In my case nothing shhows up with

sudo cat /var/log/mesages | grep postgresql

and

~$ sudo cat /var/lib/postgresql/data/PG_VERSION
9.6

and

$ pg_config
VERSION = PostgreSQL 9.6.5

I reconfigured and updated my installation in August, before coming to the
GHM

could anyone here verify if they can run postgresql with a reasonably
recent version of GuixSD ?

Thanks in advance

* Re: postgresql again
@ 2017-09-10 18:11 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2017-09-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

Catonano writes:

> could anyone here verify if they can run postgresql with a reasonably recent version of GuixSD ?

I installed GuixSD two days ago, guix pull/master, with postgresql.  Using only

   (postgresql-service)

Greetings,
janneke

--