all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Python 2 and Python 3 ?
@ 2018-02-23 17:27 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2018-02-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I am asking if this behaviour is expected or if I miss something.

The command:

 guix package -i python

installs the python3 version and there is no python in .guix-profile/bin/.

And in another profile `guix package -i python@2' installs the python2
and there is python in profile/bin/.

To me, it is counter-intuitive. What is the reason ?
And there is not any, since python 2 is dying, I suggest that python
points to python3 and not python2.

Thank you.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Python 2 and Python 3 ?
@ 2018-02-23 17:36 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-02-23 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 06:27:30PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> I am asking if this behaviour is expected or if I miss something.
>
> The command:
>
>  guix package -i python
>
> installs the python3 version and there is no python in .guix-profile/bin/.
>
> And in another profile `guix package -i python@2' installs the python2
> and there is python in profile/bin/.
>

> To me, it is counter-intuitive. What is the reason ?
> And there is not any, since python 2 is dying, I suggest that python
> points to python3 and not python2.

The recommendation by the CPython team, expressed in their build
scripts, is to install Python 3 as `python3`, and we try to follow
upstream as closely as we can. I'd guess their reason is long-term
compatibility with existing Python software that assumes `python` is
Python 2.

We offer Python 3 as `python` in the special package python-wrapper.

In general, Guix does default to Python 3. If you want to use Python 2
in a package or profile, you have to specify it. Otherwise, using the
package named 'python' will give you Python 3. If there are several
versions of a Guix package with the same name, Guix uses the latest
version by default.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Python 2 and Python 3 ?
@ 2018-02-23 18:26   ` zimoun