On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 06:27:30PM +0100, zimoun wrote: > I am asking if this behaviour is expected or if I miss something. > > The command: > > guix package -i python > > installs the python3 version and there is no python in .guix-profile/bin/. > > And in another profile `guix package -i python@2' installs the python2 > and there is python in profile/bin/. > > > To me, it is counter-intuitive. What is the reason ? > And there is not any, since python 2 is dying, I suggest that python > points to python3 and not python2. The recommendation by the CPython team, expressed in their build scripts, is to install Python 3 as `python3`, and we try to follow upstream as closely as we can. I'd guess their reason is long-term compatibility with existing Python software that assumes `python` is Python 2. We offer Python 3 as `python` in the special package python-wrapper. In general, Guix does default to Python 3. If you want to use Python 2 in a package or profile, you have to specify it. Otherwise, using the package named 'python' will give you Python 3. If there are several versions of a Guix package with the same name, Guix uses the latest version by default.