all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Asking Open Source Design for Videos?
@ 2019-02-11 20:41 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus

Laura found on FOSDEM the stand of Open Source Design:

https://opensourcedesign.net/

She asked if we should get in contact with them for the videos.
Unfortunately, I missed to go to their stand and talk to them directly
and make my own view.

I'm a bit hesitating with it: First, we yet have a design and if we
need more help, we could ask here on the dev-list where probably
knowing people are around. Second they have a long list of jobs on
their homepage. And last, they say "open source" and not "free
software".

WDYT?

Björn

* Re: Asking Open Source Design for Videos?
@ 2019-02-12 15:16 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-02-12 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi,

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skribis:

> Laura found on FOSDEM the stand of Open Source Design:
>
> https://opensourcedesign.net/
>
> She asked if we should get in contact with them for the videos.
> Unfortunately, I missed to go to their stand and talk to them directly
> and make my own view.

They’d be providing illustrations for use in the videos, right?

I’d say it’s maybe still a bit early to worry about this, but once we
have more detailed video scenarios then we could consider it.

> I'm a bit hesitating with it: First, we yet have a design and if we
> need more help, we could ask here on the dev-list where probably
> knowing people are around. Second they have a long list of jobs on
> their homepage. And last, they say "open source" and not "free
> software".

That’s OK, they don’t have to perfectly share our views and we can still
be friends.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Asking Open Source Design for Videos?
@ 2019-02-12 15:43   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-02-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Björn, Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skribis:
>> And last, they say "open source" and not "free software".

I don't think this signifies much if anything.

> That’s OK, they don’t have to perfectly share our views and we
> can still
> be friends.  :-)

It probably has little to do with values, and more with
(perceived) value.  Most independent designers have to fend off
plenty of demands for free work already.

Source: overheard one on my way to the FOSDEM cloakroom :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: Asking Open Source Design for Videos?
@ 2019-02-12 16:21     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-02-12 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi,

I have no opinion. I just relate what is on their website.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 16:49, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
<somebody@not-sent-or-endorsed-by.tobias.gr> wrote:

> Björn, Ludo',
>
> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skribis:
> >> And last, they say "open source" and not "free software".
>
> I don't think this signifies much if anything.

https://opensourcedesign.net/faq/

<<quote

Why “Open Source” not “Free Software”

Our name choice was never an intentional decision or discussion. In
our earliest organizing we just started intuitively using our name
(Open Source Design) and it stuck. The reasons we feel good about this
choice are:

The Free as in beer / freedom confusion
Free Software is older and has a specific community, culture, and goals
Open source is a newer term and can have broader goals
Open source has done a better job at outreach and has broader public
understanding at present
Open source (and especially design) extends beyond software to
hardware, architecture, manufacturing, and more
Acronyms like FOSS, FLOSS are not user friendly and pertain to just software
Spelling out said acronyms is also not designer / user friendly

end>>

All the best,
simon