all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?
@ 2017-04-11 20:33 Drew C
From: Drew C @ 2017-04-11 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: Mark Meyer

Hey,

I am a musician that produces a lot of things, and I use Ardour with jackd
for the most part.

On most of the other distros I've tried, installing and running qjackctl is
enough. On GuixSD it will not seem to work. It does seem to start it as
there is a PID, but cannot connect to the socket, does not run in
real-time, etc.

Any direction on where to go? I am a software developer as well and do not
mind getting my hands dirty at all, so let me know.

Cheers,

Drew Crampsie

* Re: How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?
@ 2017-04-11 21:06 ` Mark Meyer
From: Mark Meyer @ 2017-04-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew C; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Drew!

    Drew> On most of the other distros I've tried, installing and
    Drew> running qjackctl is enough. On GuixSD it will not seem to
    Drew> work. It does seem to start it as there is a PID, but cannot
    Drew> connect to the socket, does not run in real-time, etc.

I think this did connect for me, but didn't run as realtime
out-of-the-box.

    Drew> Any direction on where to go? I am a software developer as
    Drew> well and do not mind getting my hands dirty at all, so let me
    Drew> know.

qjackctl should have a log, can you post this? It should say something
about adding stuff to limits for the realtime issue and I'd be
interested in the message about the socket.

Do you run a Desktop Environment? I run with bare xmonad, which doesn't
start any sound servers, but if I log into XFCE I'll have a connection
problem. Even when you don't start any programs that use it, some applet
may start PulseAudio (for example).

Cheers, Mark
--
   Mark Meyer
   mark@ofosos.org

* Re: How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?
@ 2017-04-11 21:47   ` Drew C
From: Drew C @ 2017-04-11 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Meyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hey Mark,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Mark Meyer <mark@ofosos.org> wrote:

>     Drew> Any direction on where to go? I am a software developer as
>     Drew> well and do not mind getting my hands dirty at all, so let me
>     Drew> know.
>
> qjackctl should have a log, can you post this? It should say something
> about adding stuff to limits for the realtime issue and I'd be
> interested in the message about the socket.

Here it is :
---------------------------

14:37:30.171 Statistics reset.

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

Cannot connect to server request channel

jack server is not running or cannot be started

14:37:33.768 JACK is starting...

14:37:33.768 /home/drewc/.guix-profile/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000
-p1024 -n2

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

Cannot connect to server request channel

jack server is not running or cannot be started

jackd 0.124.1

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime
scheduling.

grep: /etc/security/limits.conf: No such file or directory

Please check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the following line

and correct/add it if necessary:

@audio - rtprio 99

After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take
effect.

You don't appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely
that you

encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start
jack again!

14:37:34.087 JACK was started with PID=22880.

14:37:34.088 JACK was stopped

14:37:36.101 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages
window for more info.

--------------------------------

> Do you run a Desktop Environment? I run with bare xmonad, which doesn't
> start any sound servers, but if I log into XFCE I'll have a connection
> problem. Even when you don't start any programs that use it, some applet
> may start PulseAudio (for example).

Yes! I am running XFCE and/or also have Gnome installed.

I will try xmonad ... is there an easy way to add it to config.scm so I can
F1 to choose it, and if not, where/how to I configure GuixSD's X to use it?

Otherwise, there is a pulseaudio jack sink that may work if I can be told
where to put it.

Thanks a bunch!

-- drewc

> Cheers, Mark
> --
>    Mark Meyer
>    mark@ofosos.org

* qjackctl wrong jack version (was: Re: How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?)
@ 2017-04-11 22:24     ` Mark Meyer
From: Mark Meyer @ 2017-04-11 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew C; +Cc: bug-guix, help-guix

    Drew> Yes! I am running XFCE and/or also have Gnome installed.

    Drew> I will try xmonad ... is there an easy way to add it to
    Drew> config.scm so I can F1 to choose it, and if not, where/how to
    Drew> I configure GuixSD's X to use it?

    Drew> Otherwise, there is a pulseaudio jack sink that may work if I
    Drew> can be told where to put it.

*grml* I think I messed up.

First note:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services

See the bottom of the page. It defines a `realtime' group and it's
permissions. You might need to create this group and add yourself to it
or you might simply use the `@audio' for the `audio' group, where you
might already be a member.

Second note: It still doesn't work, but it's too late to look into
this. :( Could take care of this tomorrow.

Crazy, I had this running.

Cheers, Mark

* Re: How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?
@ 2017-04-12  1:04 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-04-12  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew C; +Cc: Mark Meyer, help-guix

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 01:33:20PM -0700, Drew C wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am a musician that produces a lot of things, and I use Ardour with jackd
> for the most part.
>
> On most of the other distros I've tried, installing and running qjackctl is
> enough. On GuixSD it will not seem to work. It does seem to start it as
> there is a PID, but cannot connect to the socket, does not run in
> real-time, etc.
>
> Any direction on where to go? I am a software developer as well and do not
> mind getting my hands dirty at all, so let me know.

Here is some earlier discussion of JACK on GuixSD:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-10/msg00479.html

Hope it helps!

* Re: How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?
@ 2017-04-12  6:08     ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-04-12  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: mark, help-guix

Hi Drew,

hope this helps:

  - jack 0.124.1 wouldn't work for me either.  It was updated to 0.125
    2 days ago, and the upgrade fixed that for me.

  - about the realtime/limits.conf issue: I added the following
service to my system configuration's services list:

             (pam-limits-service
              (list
               (pam-limits-entry "@realtime" 'both 'rtprio 99)
               (pam-limits-entry "@realtime" 'both 'memlock
'unlimited)))

all of this courtesy of Ricardo Wurmus actually :)

Thomas

* Re: How to use jack and qjackctl on GuixSD?
@ 2017-04-12 22:31       ` Drew C
From: Drew C @ 2017-04-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: Mark Meyer, help-guix

Hey All,

Thanks a lot! Though I still do not have qjackctl working, Ricardo
Wurmus's help was a big plus. Now, `jackd -d alsa` works at the command
line, so things are starting to move up.

Will hopefully have more to report as working shortly.

Cheers,

Drew Crampsie

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be>
wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> hope this helps:
>
>  - jack 0.124.1 wouldn't work for me either.  It was updated to 0.125
>    2 days ago, and the upgrade fixed that for me.
>
>  - about the realtime/limits.conf issue: I added the following service to
> my system configuration's services list:
>
>             (pam-limits-service
>              (list
>               (pam-limits-entry "@realtime" 'both 'rtprio 99)
>               (pam-limits-entry "@realtime" 'both 'memlock 'unlimited)))
>
> all of this courtesy of Ricardo Wurmus actually :)
>
> Thomas

* bug#26452: qjackctl wrong jack version
@ 2020-09-28 19:05       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-09-28 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Meyer; +Cc: Drew C, 26452

Dear,

What is the status of this bug [1] report 3 years ago?

[1] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/26452>

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 at 00:24, Mark Meyer <mark@ofosos.org> wrote:

>     Drew> Yes! I am running XFCE and/or also have Gnome installed.
>
>     Drew> I will try xmonad ... is there an easy way to add it to
>     Drew> config.scm so I can F1 to choose it, and if not, where/how to
>     Drew> I configure GuixSD's X to use it?
>
>     Drew> Otherwise, there is a pulseaudio jack sink that may work if I
>     Drew> can be told where to put it.
>
> *grml* I think I messed up.
>
> First note:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services
>
> See the bottom of the page. It defines a `realtime' group and it's
> permissions. You might need to create this group and add yourself to it
> or you might simply use the `@audio' for the `audio' group, where you
> might already be a member.
>
> Second note: It still doesn't work, but it's too late to look into
> this. :( Could take care of this tomorrow.

If it is still relevant, could you add more info and/or context?

All the best,
simon

* bug#26452: qjackctl wrong jack version
@ 2020-09-28 19:07         ` Mark Meyer
From: Mark Meyer @ 2020-09-28 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Drew C, 26452

No longer relevant for me.

--
  Mark Meyer
  mark@ofosos.org

* bug#26452: qjackctl wrong jack version
@ 2020-09-28 19:16           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-09-28 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Meyer; +Cc: Drew C, 26452-done

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 21:08, Mark Meyer <mark@ofosos.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020, at 21:05, zimoun wrote:

> > What is the status of this bug [1] reported 3 years ago?
> >
> > [1] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/26452>

> No longer relevant for me.

Thank you.  So closing.

All the best,
simon

* bug#26452: qjackctl wrong jack version
@ 2020-09-28 20:04         ` Drew C
From: Drew C @ 2020-09-28 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Mark Meyer, 26452