all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 12:32 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-04-23 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: samuel.thibault, Thomas Schwinge, Jose E. Marchesi

Hello,

As you may know, we got one slot for Guix as part of the GNU
organization for GSoC.  I emailed José and Giuseppe (who take care of
that on the GNU side) before going away from keyboard, telling we’d like
to have Manolis on the Hurd porting project.

Somehow the message got lost.  I was away on the day of the deadline, so
the end result is that we don’t have the slot.  José has since struggled
with the person responsible for that at Google, to no avail.

So please Manolis, accept my apologies.  This is all the more
frustrating to me since you’ve been so dedicated to the project over the
past months.  I hope we can keep working together.

The lesson is that I should have been more cautious.  Probably that
process would be best handled by a group of people.

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 16:16 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-04-23 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: guix-devel, Jose E. Marchesi, samuel.thibault, Thomas Schwinge

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> As you may know, we got one slot for Guix as part of the GNU
> organization for GSoC.  I emailed José and Giuseppe (who take care of
> that on the GNU side) before going away from keyboard, telling we’d like
> to have Manolis on the Hurd porting project.
>
> Somehow the message got lost.

FWIW, I received that message (dated Wed, 09 Apr 2014 21:28:54 +0200),
as I was on the CC list.  In fact, I received two copies of it.

I see that it was also sent to Thomas Schwinge, Samuel Thibault, Richard
Braun, Andreas Enge, and Nikita Karetnikov.  It would be interesting to
know which of the recipients saw the message, and how it got lost.

> The lesson is that I should have been more cautious.  Probably that
> process would be best handled by a group of people.

We must keep in mind that email is no longer reliable, given the
widespread use of aggressive and heuristic spam filtering today.

     Mark

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 16:48   ` Ludovic Courtès
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-04-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver
  Cc: guix-devel, Jose E. Marchesi, samuel.thibault, Thomas Schwinge

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> As you may know, we got one slot for Guix as part of the GNU
>> organization for GSoC.  I emailed José and Giuseppe (who take care of
>> that on the GNU side) before going away from keyboard, telling we’d like
>> to have Manolis on the Hurd porting project.
>>
>> Somehow the message got lost.
>
> FWIW, I received that message (dated Wed, 09 Apr 2014 21:28:54 +0200),
> as I was on the CC list.  In fact, I received two copies of it.
>
> I see that it was also sent to Thomas Schwinge, Samuel Thibault, Richard
> Braun, Andreas Enge, and Nikita Karetnikov.  It would be interesting to
> know which of the recipients saw the message, and how it got lost.

Giuseppe mentioned receiving it too.

>> The lesson is that I should have been more cautious.  Probably that
>> process would be best handled by a group of people.
>
> We must keep in mind that email is no longer reliable, given the
> widespread use of aggressive and heuristic spam filtering today.

Yeah.  :-/

Ludo’.

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 16:58     ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2014-04-23 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, samuel.thibault, Thomas Schwinge

    >> The lesson is that I should have been more cautious.  Probably that
    >> process would be best handled by a group of people.
    >
    > We must keep in mind that email is no longer reliable, given the
    > widespread use of aggressive and heuristic spam filtering today.

    Yeah.  :-/

Well, in this case I would have expected an explicit ack from us: I
replied to all the emails confirming that the relevant proposals were
accepted in melange, also to prevent typos (like listing the wrong
proposal) from the mentors.

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 17:00   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-04-23 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver
  Cc: guix-devel, Thomas Schwinge, samuel.thibault, Jose E. Marchesi

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:16:11PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> FWIW, I received that message (dated Wed, 09 Apr 2014 21:28:54 +0200),
> as I was on the CC list.  In fact, I received two copies of it.

I also received it. This looks like a case of very bad luck, where adding
more formal procedure would not have avoided the problem.

Andreas

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 21:51   ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2014-04-23 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel, Thomas Schwinge, Jose E. Marchesi

Mark H Weaver, le Wed 23 Apr 2014 12:16:11 -0400, a écrit :
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
> > As you may know, we got one slot for Guix as part of the GNU
> > organization for GSoC.  I emailed José and Giuseppe (who take care of
> > that on the GNU side) before going away from keyboard, telling we’d like
> > to have Manolis on the Hurd porting project.
> >
> > Somehow the message got lost.
>
> FWIW, I received that message (dated Wed, 09 Apr 2014 21:28:54 +0200),
> as I was on the CC list.  In fact, I received two copies of it.
>
> I see that it was also sent to Thomas Schwinge, Samuel Thibault, Richard
> Braun, Andreas Enge, and Nikita Karetnikov.  It would be interesting to
> know which of the recipients saw the message, and how it got lost.

I didn't receive it.

Samuel

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 22:24       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-04-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: guix-devel, samuel.thibault, Thomas Schwinge

jose.marchesi@oracle.com (Jose E. Marchesi) skribis:

>     >> The lesson is that I should have been more cautious.  Probably that
>     >> process would be best handled by a group of people.
>     >
>     > We must keep in mind that email is no longer reliable, given the
>     > widespread use of aggressive and heuristic spam filtering today.
>
>     Yeah.  :-/
>
> Well, in this case I would have expected an explicit ack from us

Definitely, I haven’t been cautious enough.

Ludo’.

* Re: GSoC status
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-23 22:39   ` Nikita Karetnikov
From: Nikita Karetnikov @ 2014-04-23 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver
  Cc: guix-devel, Thomas Schwinge, samuel.thibault, Jose E. Marchesi

> FWIW, I received that message (dated Wed, 09 Apr 2014 21:28:54 +0200),
> as I was on the CC list.  In fact, I received two copies of it.

> I see that it was also sent to Thomas Schwinge, Samuel Thibault, Richard
> Braun, Andreas Enge, and Nikita Karetnikov.  It would be interesting to
> know which of the recipients saw the message, and how it got lost.

I received the message.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: GSoC status
@ 2014-04-23 22:52       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-04-23 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: guix-devel, samuel.thibault, Thomas Schwinge

Besides: I owe you a big thanks for trying to address the problem,
and for handling GSoC in general!

Ludo’.

* GSoC status
@ 2020-01-22 23:05 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-01-22 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello Guix,

I have received the information from the GNU org admins that they
submitted GNU for participation in GSoC 2020. They are waiting for
feedback, I will keep you updated.

In the meantime I created this page:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2020
based roughly on last year.

Please check if you are still willing to mentor the projects you listed.

I also have some questions, embedded as comments, so if you have
insight on those, then feel free to contact me  or simply edit the
page accordingly.

Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21