all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dvorak
@ 2018-05-07 20:45 Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2018-05-07 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

There's been several mails and configs I've seen for dvorak
configuration.

Though, I can't seem to find any info or examples on how to configure
dvorak for grub. I have an encrypted boot and on boot up grub asks for
crypt passphrase as does the system on boot up.

While talking about luks, is it normal/best practice to have the
passphrase on start up ask twice?  Once for boot vol at grub, and once
for /root I suppose?

And how can one configure dvorak for the keymap early?

This Arch Wiki article[1] mentions how to do this for grub.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Manual_configuration_of_core_image_for_early_boot

For the console once booted up (console-keymap-service "dvorak") works.

For X, I'd like to configure it in .xsession on .xinitrc or the i3
config. I think that won't be a problem and have seen examples for that.
--
Divan

* Re: dvorak
@ 2018-05-08  5:44 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-05-08  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Divan Santana; +Cc: help-guix

Divan Santana <divan@santanas.co.za> writes:

> While talking about luks, is it normal/best practice to have the
> passphrase on start up ask twice?  Once for boot vol at grub, and once
> for /root I suppose?

Yes, entering the LUKS volume passphrase twice is normal, though I would
love to hear about ways to improve it.  As I understand it, both GRUB
and Linux have to unlock the LUKS volume, and they do not by default
coordinate in any way - that is why you have to enter it two times.  I
don't know how to arrange for a password to be entered only once, but I
imagine that it may be possible, with varying degrees of security
depending on the chosen solution.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: dvorak
@ 2018-05-08 16:30   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2018-05-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

> Yes, entering the LUKS volume passphrase twice is normal, though I would
> love to hear about ways to improve it.  As I understand it, both GRUB
> and Linux have to unlock the LUKS volume, and they do not by default
> coordinate in any way - that is why you have to enter it two times.  I
> don't know how to arrange for a password to be entered only once, but I
> imagine that it may be possible, with varying degrees of security
> depending on the chosen solution.

You can use keyfiles to unlock the root partition.
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Device_encryption#Unlocking_the_root_partition_at_boot>
That's what
I'm using on my arch setup to only have to type in one passphrase
instead of three (GRUB, root, swap). No idea how you would
translate this to GuixSD though.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* Re: dvorak
@ 2018-05-09 14:12 ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2018-05-09 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Divan Santana; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Divan Santana <divan@santanas.co.za> writes:

> There's been several mails and configs I've seen for dvorak
> configuration.
>
> Though, I can't seem to find any info or examples on how to configure
> dvorak for grub. I have an encrypted boot and on boot up grub asks for
> crypt passphrase as does the system on boot up.

Same problem here but with an azerty layout.

I would be interested in finding a solution for this annoyance too. :-)

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

* Re: dvorak
@ 2018-05-09 16:52   ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-05-09 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: help-guix

Mathieu Lirzin transcribed 526 bytes:
> Hello,
>
> Divan Santana <divan@santanas.co.za> writes:
>
> > There's been several mails and configs I've seen for dvorak
> > configuration.
> >
> > Though, I can't seem to find any info or examples on how to configure
> > dvorak for grub. I have an encrypted boot and on boot up grub asks for
> > crypt passphrase as does the system on boot up.
>
> Same problem here but with an azerty layout.

As far as my experience with other Operating Systems goes:
we need to make the keyboard layout configurable in the initrd.
You can already achieve this with a custom initrd today, but
having a service would be more convenient.
For expected defaults we should make this hypothetical service
default to en-us.
I see two possible entry points to writing the service here:

1) extending the console-keymap-service
2) writing a new service that extends the initrd and reuses code from
   the previously mentioned service.

Logical mistake can happen, I've constructed this from memory.