all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help Installing GuixSD on ThinkPad X60 tablet
@ 2019-07-30 15:22 BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA
From: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA @ 2019-07-30 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org, guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi!

I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me with :( I just got a refurbished ThinkPad X60 Tablet with 3GB RAM and a 128 SSD, and I was reading about the free distros that are available so I could later install libreboot and saw there was Guix, and I found it great! But the thing is, it wouldn't work :(

I downloaded the i686 iso and flashed it to a 3.0 USB Kingston DataTraveler with Balena Etcher, it worked fine, it booted, I followed the graphical install, set the language and keymap, location, and chose to use full disk with separate home partition and full encryption, I also selected i3 and openbox as desktops and lastly mozilla https and tor network.

It installed without errors, and asked me to reboot, after that it asked me the / encryption passphrase, got to the grub screen, then asked me the home passphrase, aaand... it booted to Gnu Guile! And by typing ",help guix" it only showed me the option to switch to bournish language! I read every single command that ",help all" showed me but none helped, I saw also something about "repl" in the welcome message but tried it and the command didn't work either.

Then I thought maybe it was something about the greeter not being installed so I reinstalled with Gnome and i3 but same thing, booted to Guile, and I don't know how to boot the os itself.

If anyone knows what I did wrong or had a similar situation, I would gladly appreciate it, I really wanted to try out Guix :( If you need any more information, I can provide. Thanks in advance!

Byron Elías Molina Hermosilla,

Software Engineering Student,

INACAP Renca, Chile.

* Re: Help Installing GuixSD on ThinkPad X60 tablet
@ 2019-07-30 17:14 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-30 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi,

> It installed without errors, and asked me to reboot, after that it
> asked me the / encryption passphrase, got to the grub screen, then
> asked me the home passphrase, aaand... it booted to Gnu Guile!

This probably means that it couldn’t unlock the disk or wasn’t able to
find the unlocked partition.

It falls back to a rescue Guile REPL, which is what you’ve been
interacting with.

Could you please share your operating system configuration and the
version of Guix you used to install?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Help Installing GuixSD on ThinkPad X60 tablet
@ 2019-07-30 17:38 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2019-07-30 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA; +Cc: help-guix

On 2019-07-30, BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA wrote:
> I downloaded the i686 iso and flashed it to a 3.0 USB Kingston
> DataTraveler with Balena Etcher, it worked fine, it booted, I followed
> the graphical install, set the language and keymap, location, and
> chose to use full disk with separate home partition and full
> encryption, I also selected i3 and openbox as desktops and lastly
> mozilla https and tor network.

> It installed without errors, and asked me to reboot, after that it
> asked me the / encryption passphrase, got to the grub screen, then
> asked me the home passphrase, aaand... it booted to Gnu Guile! And by
> typing ",help guix" it only showed me the option to switch to bournish
> language! I read every single command that ",help all" showed me but
> none helped, I saw also something about "repl" in the welcome message
> but tried it and the command didn't work either.

Typically, you need to type in the same passhrase twice for "/", once
for grub and once from the initramfs to mount "/" ... are you sure you
typed the right passphrases in at the right times? If you were only
asked for two passphrases and got a guile prompt after the second
passphrase, this would be my *guess* what happened.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Help Installing GuixSD on ThinkPad X60 tablet
@ 2019-07-30 22:49   ` BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA
From: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA @ 2019-07-30 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Ricardo!

I used the guix-system-install-1.0.1.i686-linux iso, verified the authenticity of the image and got:

gpg: assuming signed data in 'guix-system-install-1.0.1.i686-linux.iso.xz'
gpg: Signature made Sun 19 May 2019 04:47:37 PM EDT
gpg:                using RSA key 3CE464558A84FDC69DB40CFB090B11993D9AEBB5
gpg: Good signature from "Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>" [unknown]
gpg:                 aka "Ludovic Courtès <ludo@chbouib.org>" [unknown]
gpg:                 aka "Ludovic Courtès (Inria) <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr>" [unknown]
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 3CE4 6455 8A84 FDC6 9DB4  0CFB 090B 1199 3D9A EBB5

And the system configuration (which I had to write down on hand so beware if you find any syntactic or semantic errors, I reviewed several times but, in case):

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh xorg)

(operating-system
    (locale "en_US.utf8")
    (timezone "America/Santiago")
    (keyboard-layout
        (keyboard-layout "us" "alt-intl"))
    (bootloader
        (bootloader-configuration
            (bootloader grub-bootloader)
            (target "/dev/sda")
            (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
    (mapped-devices
        (list   (mapped-device
                    (source
                        (uuid "xxxx"))
                    (target "cryptroot")
                    (type luks-device-mapping))
                (mapped-device
                    (source
                        (uuid "yyyy"))
                    (target "crypthome")
                    (type luks-device-mapping))))
    (file-systems
        (cons*  (file-system
                    (mount-point "/")
                    (device "/dev/mapper/cryptroot")
                    (type "ext4")
                    (dependencies mapped-devices))
                (file-system
                    (mount-point "/home")
                    (device "/dev/mapper/crypthome")
                    (type "ext4")
                    (dependencies mapped-devices))
                %base-file-systems))
    (host-name "my-hostname")
    (users
        (cons*   (user-account
                    (name "my-user")
                    (comment "my-full-name")
                    (group "users")
                    (home-directory "/home/my-user")
                    (supplementary-groups
                        '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
                %base-user-accounts))
    (packages
        (append
            (list   (specification->package "i3-wm")
                    (specification->package "nss-certs"))
            %base-packages))
    (services
        (append
            (list   (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
                    (service tor-service-type)
                    (set xorg-configuration
                        (xorg-configuration
                            (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
            %desktop-services)))

I also saw in the web that only libreboot could see an encrypted /boot, not the case for the proprietary BIOS, is that true? Maybe that should be the reason it sent me to a Guile REPL?

Thanks for contacting me!

________________________________

@ 2019-07-30 22:53   ` BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA
From: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA @ 2019-07-30 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Vagrant!

That seems logical, but I'm really sure I typed the correct passphrase and yes, it only asked me those 2 times, I admit, I typed it incorrectly a couple times, but when I did it told me it was incorrect, and asked me the same passphrase again.

@ 2019-07-31  0:23     ` BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA
From: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA @ 2019-07-31  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

I got it to boot!

I reinstalled using the exact same configuration BUT I didn't use encrypted LVM (it must have been the libreboot problem I said earlier, gonna try after installing it), that actually made the guided partitioning define me a swap, something the encrypted one didn't do, why's that? And also, the wacom integrated screen doesn't work, I installed xf86-input-wacom but on Gnome Control Center it shows "no tablet/stylus detected". Do I have to configure or install something more?

@ 2019-09-20  8:52 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2019-09-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hello Byron,

BYRON ELIAS MOLINA HERMOSILLA <byron.molina03@inacapmail.cl> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me with :( I just got a
> refurbished ThinkPad X60 Tablet with 3GB RAM and a 128 SSD, and I was
> reading about the free distros that are available so I could later
> install libreboot and saw there was Guix, and I found it great! But
> the thing is, it wouldn't work :(
>
> I downloaded the i686 iso and flashed it to a 3.0 USB Kingston
> DataTraveler with Balena Etcher, it worked fine, it booted, I followed
> the graphical install, set the language and keymap, location, and
> chose to use full disk with separate home partition and full
> encryption, I also selected i3 and openbox as desktops and lastly
> mozilla https and tor network.
>
> It installed without errors, and asked me to reboot, after that it
> asked me the / encryption passphrase, got to the grub screen, then
> asked me the home passphrase, aaand... it booted to Gnu Guile! And by
> typing ",help guix" it only showed me the option to switch to bournish
> language! I read every single command that ",help all" showed me but
> none helped, I saw also something about "repl" in the welcome message
> but tried it and the command didn't work either.
>
> Then I thought maybe it was something about the greeter not being
> installed so I reinstalled with Gnome and i3 but same thing, booted to
> Guile, and I don't know how to boot the os itself.
>
> If anyone knows what I did wrong or had a similar situation, I would
> gladly appreciate it, I really wanted to try out Guix :( If you need
> any more information, I can provide. Thanks in advance!
>

> Byron Elías Molina Hermosilla,
>
> Software Engineering Student,
>
> INACAP Renca, Chile.

Without seeing your system configuration file, I can't say much; perhaps
something was messed up in the way you configured your file systems.  I
can only suggest you start from something which is *simple* and known to
be working, such as a lightweight desktop configuration.  There are
examples in the user manual providing working base systems (see the
section "8.1 Using the Configuration System").

HTH!

Maxim