all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
       [not found] <7DD810A8-FBFF-4609-981B-AD6169C384AB@sumou.com>
@ 2019-01-15 14:39 ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-01-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix:

I have Guix armhf set up on my Android phone — I've been experimenting with it for some time. It works/used to work quite well, though there's some hoops to jump through, setting up some skeleton GNU files that the Bionic based Android C library doesn't use. Most of the setup along the lines of: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/guix-on-android/

Now, I had it all setup on my Android Nougat phone — now I've upgraded to an Android Oreo based phone, and usually the new version of the OS entails some complications, which indeed it brought. Now it seems Guix (just Guix though for some reason, even the command line utilities in the terminal are fine) can't resolve domain names — I'm not advanced enough to debug this though I think it's gonna be something simple, like copying some /etc file which is also missing, but so far no luck. I'm hoping someone might help me debug and solve this.

I have Guix 0.16.0 set up.

The symptoms: when I run “guix pull”, I get:

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv...

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

and so on and on and it fails on many of this.

Now, the only references to this getaddrinfo with respect to Guix that I've seen are:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00460.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00348.html

… and they don't give me any pointers.

But I ping and nslookup for instance letsencrypt.org from the same terminal instance so name translation is working. So what is the issue.

I've read around, had two missed wagers — thought it might be /etc/nsswitch.conf missing, so copied it — didn't have an effect.

Then experimented with nscd, which exists in /gnu/store, created it's socket directory, ran the daemon, then tried “guix pull” — no difference, so it's not trying to go through it.

I realize this is not a Guix problem, it's due to something on the Android side — but I had it running no prob on the older phone, so know it can be done — I just can accomplish it.

I'd appreciate help from any more senior users or hackers with ideas on what could be causing this fail and how to get it working.

One thing I'm thinking — it might be permissions issues on something, as after upgrade, installing the terminal app on Android, the regular user has a different ID, so I was thinking permissions somewhere… But even as root I have the same issue, so shouldn't be that…

If anyone could advise me — I'd much appreciate it :@)

Many thanks.
--
白い熊

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-01-15 15:30   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-01-15 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊; +Cc: help-guix

Le 2019-01-15 15:39, 白い熊 a écrit :
> [...]
>
> … and they don't give me any pointers.
>
> But I ping and nslookup for instance letsencrypt.org from the same
> terminal instance so name translation is working. So what is the
> issue.
>
> I've read around, had two missed wagers — thought it might be
> /etc/nsswitch.conf missing, so copied it — didn't have an effect.
>
> Then experimented with nscd, which exists in /gnu/store, created it's
> socket directory, ran the daemon, then tried “guix pull” — no
> difference, so it's not trying to go through it.
>
> I realize this is not a Guix problem, it's due to something on the
> Android side — but I had it running no prob on the older phone, so
> know it can be done — I just can accomplish it.
>
> I'd appreciate help from any more senior users or hackers with ideas
> on what could be causing this fail and how to get it working.

Well, if it's a name resolution issue, the first culprit that comes to
mind is /etc/resolv.conf. Do you have that file, and is it correctly
configured?

> One thing I'm thinking — it might be permissions issues on something,
> as after upgrade, installing the terminal app on Android, the regular
> user has a different ID, so I was thinking permissions somewhere… But
> even as root I have the same issue, so shouldn't be that…

Maybe it's an selinux thing? You can try with "setenforce 0" and see if
that solves the issue. I've had some troubles with selinux too, related
to file-system permissions though.

@ 2019-01-15 17:13     ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-01-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On January 15, 2019 3:30:07 PM UTC, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

>Well, if it's a name resolution issue, the first culprit that comes to
>mind is /etc/resolv.conf. Do you have that file, and is it correctly
>configured?

Yes indeed, I have it copied from /system/etc/ and it just has the two Google nameservers, so that's working.

>Maybe it's an selinux thing? You can try with "setenforce 0" and see if
>that solves the issue. I've had some troubles with selinux too, related
>to file-system permissions though.

Yes, I have selinux set to Permissive — without this there's big problems with permissions. So that should be fine as well…

One thing now that I'm thinking — looking at the error output — could this be somehow associated with https ufiticil? I see that all the files from all the substitutes “guix pull” is trying to download are from https:// locations. The first item that it's trying to download for the update are certificates from letsencrypt.org

Could it be that hostnames are resolved fine — which they are, as I can ping successfully any of the sites it's trying to access — but not the https:// locations?

Is this possible? Can it be tested? I don't think you can nslookup or whatever an https:// location right? What if guix can't access secure sites? Is that possible?
--

@ 2019-01-15 17:24       ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-01-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊; +Cc: help-guix

Le 2019-01-15 18:13, 白い熊 a écrit :
> On January 15, 2019 3:30:07 PM UTC, Julien Lepiller
> <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
>
>> Well, if it's a name resolution issue, the first culprit that comes to
>> mind is /etc/resolv.conf. Do you have that file, and is it correctly
>> configured?
>
> Yes indeed, I have it copied from /system/etc/ and it just has the two
> Google nameservers, so that's working.
>
>> Maybe it's an selinux thing? You can try with "setenforce 0" and see
>> if
>> that solves the issue. I've had some troubles with selinux too,
>> related
>> to file-system permissions though.
>
> Yes, I have selinux set to Permissive — without this there's big
> problems with permissions. So that should be fine as well…
>
> One thing now that I'm thinking — looking at the error output — could
> this be somehow associated with https ufiticil? I see that all the
> files from all the substitutes “guix pull” is trying to download are
> from https:// locations. The first item that it's trying to download
> for the update are certificates from letsencrypt.org
>
> Could it be that hostnames are resolved fine — which they are, as I
> can ping successfully any of the sites it's trying to access — but not
> the https:// locations?

If you use ping from the system (android), it uses bionic, which guix
doesn't use. You have to test with a tool that uses glibc.

> Is this possible? Can it be tested? I don't think you can nslookup or
> whatever an https:// location right? What if guix can't access secure
> sites? Is that possible?

I don't think it's possible: nslookup doesn't care about the protocol
that's going to be used, it only needs the domain part. Maybe you can
try to check that you can actually access the name servers?

If that doesn't work, as a workaround, you can resolve the names that
guix tries to reach, and put this in /etc/hosts:

23.38.13.120 letsencrypt.org

Whether it works or not will tell us more about where the issue could
be.

@ 2019-01-15 17:26       ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-01-15 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On January 15, 2019 5:13:26 PM UTC, "白い熊" <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> wrote:

>One thing now that I'm thinking — looking at the error output — could
>this be somehow associated with https ufiticil? I see that all the
>files from all the substitutes “guix pull” is trying to download are
>from https:// locations. The first item that it's trying to download
>for the update are certificates from letsencrypt.org
>
>Could it be that hostnames are resolved fine — which they are, as I can
>ping successfully any of the sites it's trying to access — but not the
>https:// locations?
>
>Is this possible? Can it be tested? I don't think you can nslookup or
>whatever an https:// location right? What if guix can't access secure
>sites? Is that possible?

This shouldn't be the case either — I just tried connecting to letsencrypt.org on port 443 by openssl — no problem. So that's not generating the getaddrinfo error…
--

@ 2019-01-15 17:53         ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-01-15 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

--
白い熊

On January 15, 2019 5:24:30 PM UTC, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

>If you use ping from the system (android), it uses bionic, which guix
>doesn't use. You have to test with a tool that uses glibc.

Oh yes — obviously you are right! It didn't occur to me I'm using the android ping — busybox binary for testing…

>> Is this possible? Can it be tested? I don't think you can nslookup or
>> whatever an https:// location right? What if guix can't access secure
>> sites? Is that possible?
>
>I don't think it's possible: nslookup doesn't care about the protocol
>that's going to be used, it only needs the domain part. Maybe you can
>try to check that you can actually access the name servers?

Access meaning how? I have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 set as nameservers…

>If that doesn't work, as a workaround, you can resolve the names that
>guix tries to reach, and put this in /etc/hosts:
>
>23.38.13.120 letsencrypt.org
>
>Whether it works or not will tell us more about where the issue could
>be.

Yes! This is getting somewhere — now on the letsencrypt line it fails with:
In procedure socket: Permission denied

This reminds me of ping socket errors when elevated privileges have not been given to the ping binary. :@)

It fails with the same error even as root though. Hmm…
--

@ 2019-01-15 18:03           ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-01-15 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊; +Cc: help-guix

Le 2019-01-15 18:53, 白い熊 a écrit :
> --
> 白い熊
>
> On January 15, 2019 5:24:30 PM UTC, Julien Lepiller
> <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
>
>> If you use ping from the system (android), it uses bionic, which guix
>> doesn't use. You have to test with a tool that uses glibc.
>
> Oh yes — obviously you are right! It didn't occur to me I'm using the
> android ping — busybox binary for testing…
>>>
>>> Is this possible? Can it be tested? I don't think you can nslookup or
>>> whatever an https:// location right? What if guix can't access secure
>>> sites? Is that possible?
>>
>> I don't think it's possible: nslookup doesn't care about the protocol
>> that's going to be used, it only needs the domain part. Maybe you can
>> try to check that you can actually access the name servers?
>
> Access meaning how? I have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 set as nameservers…

I mean, can you connect to these servers on UDP port 53? According to
the rest of your answer, I guess guix cannot for some reason...

So here's what I think is happening: you guix cannot connect to the
internet, so it failed to connect to the name server. That failure
triggered the name resolution error you saw. So we have to understand
why guix cannot connect to the internet.

>> If that doesn't work, as a workaround, you can resolve the names that
>> guix tries to reach, and put this in /etc/hosts:
>>
>> 23.38.13.120 letsencrypt.org
>>
>> Whether it works or not will tell us more about where the issue could
>> be.
>
> Yes! This is getting somewhere — now on the letsencrypt line it fails
> with:
> In procedure socket: Permission denied
>
> This reminds me of ping socket errors when elevated privileges have
> not been given to the ping binary. :@)
>
> It fails with the same error even as root though. Hmm…

Here, I think it's the daemon calling the download code... Did you run
guix-daemon as root? Do you have a backtrace that you could send?

@ 2019-01-15 19:43             ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-01-15 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On January 15, 2019 6:03:57 PM UTC, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

>> Access meaning how? I have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 set as nameservers…
>
>I mean, can you connect to these servers on UDP port 53? According to
>the rest of your answer, I guess guix cannot for some reason...
>
>So here's what I think is happening: you guix cannot connect to the
>internet, so it failed to connect to the name server. That failure
>triggered the name resolution error you saw. So we have to understand
>why guix cannot connect to the internet.
>

>>> If that doesn't work, as a workaround, you can resolve the names
>that
>>> guix tries to reach, and put this in /etc/hosts:
>>>
>>> 23.38.13.120 letsencrypt.org
>>>
>>> Whether it works or not will tell us more about where the issue
>could
>>> be.
>>
>> Yes! This is getting somewhere — now on the letsencrypt line it fails
>
>> with:
>> In procedure socket: Permission denied
>>
>> This reminds me of ping socket errors when elevated privileges have
>> not been given to the ping binary. :@)
>>
>> It fails with the same error even as root though. Hmm…
>
>Here, I think it's the daemon calling the download code... Did you run
>guix-daemon as root? Do you have a backtrace that you could send?

Yes, I'm starting the daemon as root — it's running in a second terminal window.

The only feedback it outputs on every “guix pull” try is:
accepted connection from pid 21773, user 10224
spurious SIGPOLL

--

@ 2019-01-16 18:33               ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-01-16 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On January 15, 2019 7:43:33 PM UTC, "白い熊" <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> wrote:

>>Here, I think it's the daemon calling the download code... Did you run
>>guix-daemon as root? Do you have a backtrace that you could send?
>
>Yes, I'm starting the daemon as root — it's running in a second
>terminal window.
>
>The only feedback it outputs on every “guix pull” try is:
>accepted connection from pid 21773, user 10224
>spurious SIGPOLL

I had a thought it might be associated with an incomplete /etc/group as I only had a two-liner one, as per the “Guix on Android” guide, with entries only for root and then guixbuild…

So copied in one from PC Guix, added the user to netdev — no luck, still the same. Anyhow, if it would've been this, root would've been able to access the web, woe…

Any other thoughts?

It's a killer, cause this exact Guix install when I copied it to a QEMU Ubuntu armhf machine, to test whether the problem is not hidden anywhere else — works perfectly. So it really is something on the Android side, preventing it from accessing the web — but what? Ugh…
--

@ 2019-01-19 22:34     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-19 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> Well, if it's a name resolution issue, the first culprit that comes to
> mind is /etc/resolv.conf. Do you have that file, and is it correctly
> configured?

Similarly, does /etc/nsswitch.conf exist and what does it contain?  (I
think glibc has sane defaults if it doesn’t exists.)

Assuming you have ‘strace’ on the machine, could you run:

  strace -o /tmp/log -c /gnu/store/…/bin/guile -c '(getaddrinfo "www.gnu.org")'

and post the relevant part of the log?

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-01-20 14:21       ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2019-01-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On January 19, 2019 10:34:50 PM UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

>Similarly, does /etc/nsswitch.conf exist and what does it contain?  (I
>think glibc has sane defaults if it doesn’t exists.)

I have copied in /etc/nsswitch.conf in a prior attempt at fixing the inability to connect, as it was missing. Now I have one there from a desktop GuixSD, but doesn't make a difference. It contains:

group:	files
hosts:	files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns
networks:	files dns [!UNAVAIL=return]
passwd:	files
shadow:	files

>Assuming you have ‘strace’ on the machine, could you run:
>
>strace -o /tmp/log -c /gnu/store/…/bin/guile -c '(getaddrinfo
>"www.gnu.org")'
>
>and post the relevant part of the log?

This is what I get:

% time     seconds  usecs/call     calls    errors syscall
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
 40.22    0.000290           1       239       183 openat
 35.64    0.000257           1       329       284 stat64
 13.18    0.000095           2        52           mprotect
  5.83    0.000042           0       485           read
  5.13    0.000037           1        73           mmap2
  0.00    0.000000           0        61           close
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           execve
  0.00    0.000000           0         1         1 access
  0.00    0.000000           0        11           brk
  0.00    0.000000           0         6         1 ioctl
  0.00    0.000000           0         5           gettimeofday
  0.00    0.000000           0         2           uname
  0.00    0.000000           0        23         3 _llseek
  0.00    0.000000           0         3           poll
  0.00    0.000000           0         4           rt_sigaction
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           rt_sigprocmask
  0.00    0.000000           0         2           ugetrlimit
  0.00    0.000000           0        35           fstat64
  0.00    0.000000           0         3           fcntl64
  0.00    0.000000           0         5           futex
  0.00    0.000000           0         2           sched_getaffinity
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           set_tid_address
  0.00    0.000000           0         4           clock_gettime
  0.00    0.000000           0         5           socket
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           bind
  0.00    0.000000           0         6         2 connect
  0.00    0.000000           0         3           getsockname
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           sendto
  0.00    0.000000           0         2           recvfrom
  0.00    0.000000           0         3           recvmsg
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           set_robust_list
  0.00    0.000000           0         2           pipe2
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           prlimit64
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           sendmmsg
  0.00    0.000000           0         1           set_tls
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
100.00    0.000721                  1375       474 total

--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-02-12 16:16         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-02-12 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

(Sorry for the delay.)

白い熊@相撲道 <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:

> On January 19, 2019 10:34:50 PM UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>Similarly, does /etc/nsswitch.conf exist and what does it contain?  (I
>>think glibc has sane defaults if it doesn’t exists.)
>
> I have copied in /etc/nsswitch.conf in a prior attempt at fixing the inability to connect, as it was missing. Now I have one there from a desktop GuixSD, but doesn't make a difference. It contains:
>
> group:	files
> hosts:	files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns
> networks:	files dns [!UNAVAIL=return]
> passwd:	files
> shadow:	files

What if you change the hosts line to:

  hosts:	files dns

?

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-02-13 18:19           ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2019-02-13 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès,
	白い熊@相撲道
  Cc: help-guix

On February 12, 2019 4:16:04 PM UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>(Sorry for the delay.)
>
>白い熊@相撲道 <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:
>
>> On January 19, 2019 10:34:50 PM UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
>wrote:
>>
>>>Similarly, does /etc/nsswitch.conf exist and what does it contain?
>(I
>>>think glibc has sane defaults if it doesn’t exists.)
>>
>> I have copied in /etc/nsswitch.conf in a prior attempt at fixing the
>inability to connect, as it was missing. Now I have one there from a
>desktop GuixSD, but doesn't make a difference. It contains:
>>
>> group:	files
>> hosts:	files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns
>> networks:	files dns [!UNAVAIL=return]
>> passwd:	files
>> shadow:	files
>
>What if you change the hosts line to:
>
>  hosts:	files dns

OK through extended trial and error I've determined the following — only group passwd resolv.conf and services need to be created in /etc

It then struck me to start with a clean guix binary install file — and here's the surprise — Guix has internet access up until the middle of the first guix pull, whence it fails on pulling the pem files.

If you run in once more it'll pull guix itself, then it'll fail.

On the third “guix pull” it'll just fail with the name resolution failure and that's it.

After this it doesn't pull anything and exhibits the behavior I've reported. What's the issue?

Bellow the full “guix pull” log of the three consecutive runs. What's happening — why does it fail?
--
白い熊@相撲道

===

~ $ guix pull
/gnu/store/253gbbg95axyhf18wd5fwjdwya7vqzwn-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and defining
`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/termux'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/termux/current-guix"
~ $ ls -l /var/guix/profiles/per-user/
root/   termux/
~ $ ls -l /var/guix/profiles/per-user/termux/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 u0_a224  u0_a224         19 Feb 13 18:46 current-guix -> current-guix-1-link
lrwxrwxrwx    1 u0_a224  u0_a224         51 Feb 13 18:46 current-guix-1-link -> /gnu/store/kg4ks68f5q6x487vm0kas1pcivpn5gsy-profile
~ $ ls .config/guix/ -a
.   ..
~ $ ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/termux/current-guix .config/guix/current
~ $ guix pull
/gnu/store/253gbbg95axyhf18wd5fwjdwya7vqzwn-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and defining
`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

substitute: guile: warning: failed to install locale
substitute: hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
substitute: defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
substitute:
substitute:      guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
substitute:      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
substitute:
substitute: See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.
substitute:
substitute:
[...]
substituting /gnu/store/hgdhj2mlaji9iq780c4ssg4l79nn3k9z-libatomic-ops-7.6.6...
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/hgdhj2mlaji9iq780c4ssg4l79nn3k9z-libatomic-ops-7.6.6...
 libatomic-ops-7.6.6  89KiB                     22.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/x46x0b9qhkp1m1fl2vzxqjvyxkvlnw5l-attr-2.4.47...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/x46x0b9qhkp1m1fl2vzxqjvyxkvlnw5l-attr-2.4.47...
 attr-2.4.47  87KiB                              424KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/99xslspnb3p2wlkx6fldg0amaz8w7kwp-gmp-6.1.2...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/99xslspnb3p2wlkx6fldg0amaz8w7kwp-gmp-6.1.2...
 gmp-6.1.2  684KiB                               1.2MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/6ql7sq4rkr4h88mpnmmvixcb8yjvl6i7-acl-2.2.52...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/6ql7sq4rkr4h88mpnmmvixcb8yjvl6i7-acl-2.2.52...
 acl-2.2.52  152KiB                              653KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/z3xck4yk408nahikj3bw7lcz2kyng380-gmp-6.1.2...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/z3xck4yk408nahikj3bw7lcz2kyng380-gmp-6.1.2...
 gmp-6.1.2  684KiB                               1.1MiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/dqhyg0bhh40r2f0xq022cfxavbjan2zd-libcap-2.25...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/dqhyg0bhh40r2f0xq022cfxavbjan2zd-libcap-2.25...
 libcap-2.25  47KiB                              232KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/y9yvina6jjlfwwj3b1r2i713895q94n8-libffi-3.2.1...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/y9yvina6jjlfwwj3b1r2i713895q94n8-libffi-3.2.1...
 libffi-3.2.1  49KiB                             471KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/hb2qj35yxmvxzcq99lbfcpija032wdzh-coreutils-8.30...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/hb2qj35yxmvxzcq99lbfcpija032wdzh-coreutils-8.30...
 coreutils-8.30  5.2MiB                          1.2MiB/s 00:04 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/4i0g302qc7gbmppj41zavrqpl11s7had-libgc-7.6.6...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/4i0g302qc7gbmppj41zavrqpl11s7had-libgc-7.6.6...
 libgc-7.6.6  352KiB                             533KiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/sbxx5whgfqcgpga8rywvkpa3y5dy777w-libltdl-2.4.6...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/sbxx5whgfqcgpga8rywvkpa3y5dy777w-libltdl-2.4.6...
 libltdl-2.4.6  45KiB                            395KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/aihbsddygm2dklwg9hmfid2d0sys4mbm-libunistring-0.9.10...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/aihbsddygm2dklwg9hmfid2d0sys4mbm-libunistring-0.9.10...
 libunistring-0.9.10  765KiB                     515KiB/s 00:01 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/mar6rpq86zaimcg6r5acawln4k9crlxw-module-import...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/mar6rpq86zaimcg6r5acawln4k9crlxw-module-import...
 module-import  187B                               9KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/pb7jbp5g65y4gav9jxmy0s9qv4g57vxm-perl-5.28.0...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/pb7jbp5g65y4gav9jxmy0s9qv4g57vxm-perl-5.28.0...
 perl-5.28.0  17.8MiB                            703KiB/s 00:26 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/7a1kdi3smyb9amn7z4gkmjkzzghpr4gf-module-import-compiled...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/7a1kdi3smyb9amn7z4gkmjkzzghpr4gf-module-import-compiled...
 module-import-compiled  45KiB                   140KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/f1zc92v3m2k4ln1g4bmmjimz8cfzb19k-pkg-config-0.29.2...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/f1zc92v3m2k4ln1g4bmmjimz8cfzb19k-pkg-config-0.29.2...
 pkg-config-0.29.2  432KiB                       279KiB/s 00:02 [##################] 100.0%

From https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem...

From https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://berlin.guixsd.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://tarballs.nixos.org/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From https://archive.softwareheritage.org/api/1/content/sha256:3e6cf961c196c63a39bd99e5e34ff42c83669e3d7bcc2e4a0f9c7c7df40d0d7e/raw/...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution
failed to download "/gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem" from "https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem"
builder for `/gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv' failed to produce output path `/gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem'
build of /gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/ni/3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/6p1xj02f2f5g5qycfyhr2cjiv8wa74qc-le-certs-0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/6p1xj02f2f5g5qycfyhr2cjiv8wa74qc-le-certs-0.drv' failed
[...]

substituting /gnu/store/d1yz95qbxk4lgbdsi9r4i9kbvzfvc49p-guile-2.2.4...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/d1yz95qbxk4lgbdsi9r4i9kbvzfvc49p-guile-2.2.4...
 guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 808KiB/s 00:00 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 317KiB/s 00:00 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 292KiB/s 00:01 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 119KiB/s 00:02 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 112KiB/s 00:02 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 107KiB/s 00:03 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 116KiB/s 00:03 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 110KiB/s 00:03 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 120KiB/s 00:04 [          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 118KiB/s 00:04 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 125KiB/s 00:04 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 119KiB/s 00:05 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 122KiB/s 00:05 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 125KiB/s 00:05 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 127KiB/s 00:06 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 125KiB/s 00:06 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 127KiB/s 00:06 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 125KiB/s 00:06 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 126KiB/s 00:07 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 130KiB/s 00:07 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 135KiB/s 00:07 [#         guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 137KiB/s 00:07 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 143KiB/s 00:07 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 148KiB/s 00:08 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:08 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:08 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 146KiB/s 00:08 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 151KiB/s 00:09 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 153KiB/s 00:09 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 150KiB/s 00:09 [##        guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 151KiB/s 00:10 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 149KiB/s 00:10 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 149KiB/s 00:10 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 148KiB/s 00:10 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 148KiB/s 00:11 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 149KiB/s 00:11 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 148KiB/s 00:11 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 147KiB/s 00:11 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 147KiB/s 00:12 [###       guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:12 [###               ]  20. guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:12 [###          guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 142KiB/s 00:13 [###               ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 142KiB/s 00:13 [###               ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 143KiB/s 00:13 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:14 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 146KiB/s 00:14 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:14 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 147KiB/s 00:15 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 147KiB/s 00:15 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 148KiB/s 00:15 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 149KiB/s 00:15 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 150KiB/s 00:15 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 152KiB/s 00:16 [####              ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 153KiB/s 00:16 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 153KiB/s 00:16 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 154KiB/s 00:16 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 155KiB/s 00:16 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 157KiB/s 00:17 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 155KiB/s 00:17 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 155KiB/s 00:18 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 154KiB/s 00:18 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 143KiB/s 00:19 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 142KiB/s 00:20 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 142KiB/s 00:20 [#####             ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 143KiB/s 00:20 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 143KiB/s 00:20 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 143KiB/s 00:21 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 144KiB/s 00:21 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 145KiB/s 00:21 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 147KiB/s 00:21 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 148KiB/s 00:22 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 150KiB/s 00:22 [######            ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 153KiB/s 00:22 [#######           ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 154KiB/s 00:22 [#######           ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 156KiB/s 00:23 [#######           ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 159KiB/s 00:23 [#######           ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 162KiB/s 00:23 [#######           ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 165KiB/s 00:23 [########          ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 171KiB/s 00:23 [########          ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 177KiB/s 00:24 [########          ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 182KiB/s 00:24 [#########         ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 187KiB/s 00:24 [#########         ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 193KiB/s 00:24 [#########         ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 199KiB/s 00:25 [##########        ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 207KiB/s 00:25 [##########        ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 212KiB/s 00:25 [###########       ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 220KiB/s 00:25 [###########       ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 225KiB/s 00:26 [############      ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 235KiB/s 00:26 [############      ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 244KiB/s 00:26 [#############     ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 248KiB/s 00:26 [#############     ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 252KiB/s 00:26 [#############     ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 256KiB/s 00:27 [##############    ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 261KiB/s 00:27 [##############    ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 263KiB/s 00:27 [###############   ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 269KiB/s 00:27 [###############   ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 275KiB/s 00:28 [###############   ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 280KiB/s 00:28 [################  ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 289KiB/s 00:28 [################  ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 292KiB/s 00:28 [################# ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 296KiB/s 00:28 [################# ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 297KiB/s 00:29 [################# ] guile-2.2.4  8.4MiB 299KiB/s 00:29 [##################] 100.0%

From https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem...

From https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://berlin.guixsd.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://tarballs.nixos.org/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://archive.softwareheritage.org/api/1/content/sha256:3e6cf961c196c63a39bd99e5e34ff42c83669e3d7bcc2e4a0f9c7c7df40d0d7e/raw/...

From https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem...

From https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://berlin.guixsd.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://tarballs.nixos.org/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...

From https://archive.softwareheritage.org/api/1/content/sha256:3e6cf961c196c63a39bd99e5e34ff42c83669e3d7bcc2e4a0f9c7c7df40d0d7e/raw/...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution
failed to download "/gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem" from "https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem"
builder for `/gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv' failed to produce output path `/gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem'
build of /gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/ni/3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/6p1xj02f2f5g5qycfyhr2cjiv8wa74qc-le-certs-0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/6p1xj02f2f5g5qycfyhr2cjiv8wa74qc-le-certs-0.drv' failed
~ $
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-02-14 13:54             ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2019-02-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On February 13, 2019 6:19:59 PM UTC, "白い熊@相撲道" <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> wrote:

>OK through extended trial and error I've determined the following —
>only group passwd resolv.conf and services need to be created in /etc
>
>It then struck me to start with a clean guix binary install file — and
>here's the surprise — Guix has internet access up until the middle of
>the first guix pull, whence it fails on pulling the pem files.
>
>If you run in once more it'll pull guix itself, then it'll fail.
>
>On the third “guix pull” it'll just fail with the name resolution
>failure and that's it.
>
>After this it doesn't pull anything and exhibits the behavior I've
>reported. What's the issue?
>
>Bellow the full “guix pull” log of the three consecutive runs. What's
>happening — why does it fail?

Plus, I checked just to make sure — after this run, in the session, guix clearly can access the internet, as “guix build hello” downloads the hello package nicely. “guix package -i hello” fails, as it downloads other stuff and tries to build curl — whereby building curl fails on tests, as internet access tests for curl make fail.

Don't know why it's not just installing “hello” and wants to install other stuff — substitutes are authorized, that's why “guix build” downloads it directly?

Anyhow — this seems to be specific issue — armhf related? Why is it failing on “guix pull” with the name resolution failure?  It seems to be revolving around this.

Anything else I can debug?
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-02-14 13:55               ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-02-14 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

@ 2019-02-14 21:20               ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2019-02-14 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On February 14, 2019 1:54:24 PM UTC, "白い熊@相撲道" <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> wrote:

>Plus, I checked just to make sure — after this run, in the session,
>guix clearly can access the internet, as “guix build hello” downloads
>the hello package nicely. “guix package -i hello” fails, as it
>downloads other stuff and tries to build curl — whereby building curl
>fails on tests, as internet access tests for curl make fail.
>
>Don't know why it's not just installing “hello” and wants to install
>other stuff — substitutes are authorized, that's why “guix build”
>downloads it directly?
>
>Anyhow — this seems to be specific issue — armhf related? Why is it
>failing on “guix pull” with the name resolution failure?  It seems to
>be revolving around this.
>
>Anything else I can debug?

I ran guix's ncsd on another terminal in debug mode. This is what happens when guix fails on the letsencrypt name resolution:

Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15460
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETFDPW
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15460
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETPWBYUID (10224)
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15589
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETFDGR
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15589
Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETGRBYNAME (guixbuild)
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15595
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETFDHST
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15595
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETFDSERV
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15595
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETSERVBYNAME (https/tcp)
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received (Version = 2) from PID 15595
Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETAI (letsencrypt.org)

So, it seems it's resolving. What could be the problem?
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
@ 2019-02-15 13:06                 ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2019-02-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On February 14, 2019 9:20:52 PM UTC, "白い熊@相撲道" <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com> wrote:

>>Anything else I can debug?
>
>I ran guix's ncsd on another terminal in debug mode. This is what
>happens when guix fails on the letsencrypt name resolution:
>
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15460
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETFDPW
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15460
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETPWBYUID (10224)
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15589
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETFDGR
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15589
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:54 2019 - 15215:       GETGRBYNAME (guixbuild)
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15595
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETFDHST
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15595
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETFDSERV
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15595
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETSERVBYNAME (https/tcp)
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215: handle_request: request received
>(Version = 2) from PID 15595
>Thu Feb 14 21:16:56 2019 - 15215:       GETAI (letsencrypt.org)
>
>So, it seems it's resolving. What could be the problem?

It must be something peculiar with respect to some library I guess — that should be linked and provide something to guix, which doesn't happen in the Android terminal.

I'm led to this conclusion based on the following testing I did:

I chrooted in the Android terminal to a Debian armhf rootfs — ran the guix pull from a clean Guix install there — and it pulls everything, doesn't fail on this letsencrypt step — so it's not that the network would be inaccessible…

What is causing this? I have nscd running with /etc/nsswitch.conf present, so that's not it… :@(

As a side note — in the chroot the pull fails on building curl as curl bombs on tests. Many substitutes before that are pulled. I have ci.guix.info authorized for substitutes — is it possible that curl isn't available yet?  — it's kind of a base package. Is there a way around this? I was hoping to finish “guix pull” in the chroot — then copy /gnu and /var/guix to the Android FS and then go from there — as the blocker with letsencrypt would be gone. Now I can't advance past the failed build of curl.
--
白い熊