all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inscrutable error when using “guix deploy”
@ 2019-08-22 15:23 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I’m using this deployment file:

(use-modules (sysadmin build-machines)
             (sysadmin people))

(define %ids (list 25))
(define (system-for id)
  (berlin-build-machine-os id))
(define (id->ip id)
  (format #f "141.80.167.~d" (+ 131 id)))
(map (lambda (id)
      (machine
       (operating-system (system-for id))
       (environment managed-host-environment-type)
       (configuration (machine-ssh-configuration
                       (system "x86_64-linux")
                       (host-name (id->ip id))
                       (identity "./id_rsa")
                       (port 22)))))
     %ids)

And get an error that I don’t understand:

root@berlin ~/maintenance/hydra# ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix deploy -L modules deploy-berlin-node.scm
guix deploy: deploying to hydra-guix-25...
ERROR: In procedure read:
In procedure scm_lreadr: #<unknown port>:11:103: Unknown # object: #\<

Any ideas?  Am I doing something wrong?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Inscrutable error when using “guix deploy”
@ 2019-08-22 22:40 ` alex sassmannshausen
From: alex sassmannshausen @ 2019-08-22 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo, as no one has responded yet, I'd figure I'd share my 2¢.

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019, 16:23 Ricardo Wurmus, <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m using this deployment file:

> (use-modules (sysadmin build-machines)
>              (sysadmin people))
>
> (define %ids (list 25))
> (define (system-for id)
>   (berlin-build-machine-os id))
> (define (id->ip id)
>   (format #f "141.80.167.~d" (+ 131 id)))
> (map (lambda (id)
>       (machine
>        (operating-system (system-for id))
>        (environment managed-host-environment-type)
>        (configuration (machine-ssh-configuration
>                        (system "x86_64-linux")
>                        (host-name (id->ip id))
>                        (identity "./id_rsa")
>                        (port 22)))))
>      %ids)
>
> And get an error that I don’t understand:

> root@berlin ~/maintenance/hydra# ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix deploy
> -L modules deploy-berlin-node.scm
> guix deploy: deploying to hydra-guix-25...
> ERROR: In procedure read:
> In procedure scm_lreadr: #<unknown port>:11:103: Unknown # object: #\<
>
> Any ideas?  Am I doing something wrong?

This error, in general shape, looks very much like an error I kept getting
when first "deploying" to a guix server. I found that doing a pull on the
server, followed by a system reconfigure then allowed me to actually
successfully run deploy afterwards.

I'm not sure what causes that, but thought perhaps it was to do with
running an older version of guix on the target server before pulling?

This might be way off the mark, but as I said, just in case it helps!

Alex

@ 2019-08-23 12:29   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-23 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex sassmannshausen; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Alex,

> This error, in general shape, looks very much like an error I kept getting
> when first "deploying" to a guix server. I found that doing a pull on the
> server, followed by a system reconfigure then allowed me to actually
> successfully run deploy afterwards.
>
> I'm not sure what causes that, but thought perhaps it was to do with
> running an older version of guix on the target server before pulling?

Thanks, it’s possible that this is in fact the case here.

The error is really hard to diagnose, though, because there’s no file to
inspect.  It would be good if “guix deploy” could catch errors stemming
from the use of older Guixes on the target and throw a more instructive
error message.

@Jakob: What do you think?  Can we check for required Guix facilities on
the remote and abort if they don’t exist?

--

@ 2019-08-24 17:55     ` Jakob L. Kreuze
From: Jakob L. Kreuze @ 2019-08-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo and Alex,

>> This error, in general shape, looks very much like an error I kept getting
>> when first "deploying" to a guix server. I found that doing a pull on the
>> server, followed by a system reconfigure then allowed me to actually
>> successfully run deploy afterwards.
>>
>> I'm not sure what causes that, but thought perhaps it was to do with
>> running an older version of guix on the target server before pulling?
>
> Thanks, it’s possible that this is in fact the case here.
>
> The error is really hard to diagnose, though, because there’s no file to
> inspect.  It would be good if “guix deploy” could catch errors stemming
> from the use of older Guixes on the target and throw a more instructive
> error message.

I saw this specific error message a few times while I was building 'guix
deploy'. It means something's been printed that can't be read, which
(might) be the case if something doesn't have a G-Expression compiler.
My money is on the target not having a reader for <operating-system>,
but as you've observed, the error reporting makes this incredibly
difficult to diagnose.

> @Jakob: What do you think?  Can we check for required Guix facilities on
> the remote and abort if they don’t exist?

I think that's a good idea, especially since we've had issues with
deploying to older Guixes before (with the 'user-homes' service).

Regards,
Jakob

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Inscrutable error when using “guix deploy”
@ 2019-09-03 11:59       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-09-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob L. Kreuze; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

zerodaysfordays@sdf.lonestar.org (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis:

> I saw this specific error message a few times while I was building 'guix
> deploy'. It means something's been printed that can't be read, which
> (might) be the case if something doesn't have a G-Expression compiler.
> My money is on the target not having a reader for <operating-system>,
> but as you've observed, the error reporting makes this incredibly
> difficult to diagnose.

We could probably arrange so that ‘gexp->sexp’ reports about objects
without a read syntax that remain in the resulting sexp.

Ludo’.

* Re: Inscrutable error when using “guix deploy”
@ 2019-09-04  9:30         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-09-04  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

> Hi,
>
> zerodaysfordays@sdf.lonestar.org (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis:
>
>> I saw this specific error message a few times while I was building 'guix
>> deploy'. It means something's been printed that can't be read, which
>> (might) be the case if something doesn't have a G-Expression compiler.
>> My money is on the target not having a reader for <operating-system>,
>> but as you've observed, the error reporting makes this incredibly
>> difficult to diagnose.
>
> We could probably arrange so that ‘gexp->sexp’ reports about objects
> without a read syntax that remain in the resulting sexp.

This is a good idea.  It’s never the right thing for unreadable syntax
to appear in a generated S-expression when using Gexps, so producing an
error at conversion time seems much better.

--

@ 2019-09-05 14:21           ` Jakob L. Kreuze
From: Jakob L. Kreuze @ 2019-09-05 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel