Hi Ricardo and Alex, Ricardo Wurmus writes: >> This error, in general shape, looks very much like an error I kept getting >> when first "deploying" to a guix server. I found that doing a pull on the >> server, followed by a system reconfigure then allowed me to actually >> successfully run deploy afterwards. >> >> I'm not sure what causes that, but thought perhaps it was to do with >> running an older version of guix on the target server before pulling? > > Thanks, it’s possible that this is in fact the case here. > > The error is really hard to diagnose, though, because there’s no file to > inspect. It would be good if “guix deploy” could catch errors stemming > from the use of older Guixes on the target and throw a more instructive > error message. I saw this specific error message a few times while I was building 'guix deploy'. It means something's been printed that can't be read, which (might) be the case if something doesn't have a G-Expression compiler. My money is on the target not having a reader for , but as you've observed, the error reporting makes this incredibly difficult to diagnose. > @Jakob: What do you think? Can we check for required Guix facilities on > the remote and abort if they don’t exist? I think that's a good idea, especially since we've had issues with deploying to older Guixes before (with the 'user-homes' service). Regards, Jakob