all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PHP 7.0 & php-fpm
@ 2016-02-06 16:43 pe.cg
From: pe.cg @ 2016-02-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I'm preparing myself to migrate to GuixSD in the following weeks, I've
read a couple of pages from the documentation, and how the whole system
is build, so far I can go without having LVM, and since I only use a
lightweight window manager, the lack of GNOME and KDE are no drawbacks
for me; only php is missing, and since I write programs in that language
(on a daily basis), I wonder what would be necessary to have that
package on the guix repo? And what would be required to write a GNU
Shepherd service for php-fpm. I willing to do those task so I can
complete the adoption of a new system with confidence.

Thanks in advance,

--
Git Repos: http://notabug.org/pecg
XMPP/Jabber: pe.cg@krutt.org

* Re: PHP 7.0 & php-fpm
@ 2016-02-08 15:09 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pe.cg; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

pe.cg@krutt.org skribis:

> I'm preparing myself to migrate to GuixSD in the following weeks, I've
> read a couple of pages from the documentation, and how the whole system
> is build, so far I can go without having LVM, and since I only use a
> lightweight window manager, the lack of GNOME and KDE are no drawbacks
> for me; only php is missing, and since I write programs in that language
> (on a daily basis), I wonder what would be necessary to have that
> package on the guix repo? And what would be required to write a GNU
> Shepherd service for php-fpm. I willing to do those task so I can
> complete the adoption of a new system with confidence.

I’ve never tried it but there’s a PHP package at:

  https://github.com/mnd/guix-mnd-pkgs

We would be happy to integrate a recipe for PHP in Guix proper.  It’s a
matter of following the contribution check list at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>,
and we’d be happy to help with that process.

Providing a PHP service definition for GuixSD needs more discussion.
I’m personally not well versed in Web services but I know others on the
list are so hopefully they can provide some guidance.

The documentation for GuixSD services is at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Services.html>.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: PHP 7.0 & php-fpm
@ 2016-08-01 15:30   ` ng0
       [not found]     ` <87k2fzoq9r.fsf@local@local.tld>
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, pe.cg; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi pe.cg, Hi Ludovic,

I found this old thread and I like the idea.
pe.cg, are you still interested in doing it? Do you require any help or
otherwise input and mentoring?
Or you you want someone else to workon this?

Thanks,
ng0

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
Current Keys: https://we.make.ritual.n0.is/ng0.txt

* Re: PHP 7.0 & php-fpm
@ 2016-08-02  2:31     ` pe.cg
       [not found]     ` <87k2fzoq9r.fsf@local@local.tld>
From: pe.cg @ 2016-08-02  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: pe.cg, guix-devel

Hello ng0,

I'm still interested in working on this, and I think I will need help
regarding how to setup a service for GNU Shepherd and how to configure
compiler flags for guix. Will you assist me on this? Besides the Guix
manual, where can I find good and detailed information on how to do a
good job?

Greetings,

--

@ 2016-08-04 13:03       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-04 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pe.cg, guix-devel

Hi,

pe.cg@krutt.org writes:

> Hello ng0,
>
> I'm still interested in working on this, and I think I will need help
> regarding how to setup a service for GNU Shepherd and how to configure
> compiler flags for guix. Will you assist me on this? Besides the Guix
> manual, where can I find good and detailed information on how to do a
> good job?
>
> Greetings,

I'm not the best advisor in writing guix or shepherd services - I'm
currently working on my first 2 services myself - but for packages I
might be able to help.  And if I can't be of any help, others on the
guix-devel list will be.
If php would be your first package, I would suggest to first pick
something small, and afterwards apply what you learned to the bigger
package php.

Do you know how php7 and php-fpm are structured, its dependency trees?
If there are small packages in there it's useful to start there.

For 'doing a good job' we are trying to improve the guix manual. The
'contributing' chapter of it can be useful, and good examples I just
find in the git checkout(s) I have of guix, searching the relevant
folders for code.
I'd say if you haven't done so already, read the contributing manual and
ask questions about it.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Contributing