all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
@ 2017-02-20 14:32 Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2017-02-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
everything needs to be built from source.

For those interested in the numbers, I built (at least) 13 copies of the
bootstrap binaries while attempting to pin down bugs. I'm using an
Odroid-C2 with Debian as a base and a 32GB SD card. After supplying
dependencies and running bootstrap and configure, make takes about 25
minutes. It takes almost 16 hours, starting from an empty store, to
build all the way to hello. The board has a base of 2GB of RAM, about
256 MB of which is used for graphics, but I somehow managed to enable zram,
which I'm guessing helped.

In my quest for alternative architectures I'm considering converting one
of my old macbooks to the x32 pseudo-arch and seeing if I can get guix
working there too.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
@ 2017-02-20 14:41 ` John Darrington
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: John Darrington @ 2017-02-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Great work!

I'm looking forward to trying it.

J'

     --
     Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   ?????????? ??????????

Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
@ 2017-02-20 15:47 ` Ricardo Wurmus
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-02-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
> support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
> branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
> everything needs to be built from source.

This is excellent!  Thank you for persevering!

> In my quest for alternative architectures I'm considering converting one
> of my old macbooks to the x32 pseudo-arch and seeing if I can get guix
> working there too.

Yay for more ports!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
@ 2017-02-20 16:12 ` Manolis Ragkousis
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2017-02-20 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

On 02/20/2017 04:32 PM, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
> support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
> branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
> everything needs to be built from source.

Yaaay!! I am already building on my arm64 machine! Well done! :D

Manolis

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-20 17:32 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2017-02-20 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: efraim, guix-devel

Efraim,

On 20/02/17 15:32, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary
> to support aarch64!

Wow. Thank you so much for all the time you spent on this!

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-20 21:11 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 04:32:18PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
> support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
> branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
> everything needs to be built from source.
>
> For those interested in the numbers, I built (at least) 13 copies of the
> bootstrap binaries while attempting to pin down bugs. I'm using an
> Odroid-C2 with Debian as a base and a 32GB SD card. After supplying
> dependencies and running bootstrap and configure, make takes about 25
> minutes. It takes almost 16 hours, starting from an empty store, to
> build all the way to hello. The board has a base of 2GB of RAM, about
> 256 MB of which is used for graphics, but I somehow managed to enable zram,
> which I'm guessing helped.

Wow, awesome! I'm going to try it in QEMU.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-22  4:26 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-02-22  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:
> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
> support aarch64!

This is great news!  Thanks very much for taking this on :)

    Mark

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-06  9:57 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-06  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary to
> support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
> branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
> everything needs to be built from source.

Woohoo!  \o/

Congratulations and a big thank you for all the tireless work!

Let us know if there are still pending patches or anything that needs to
be addressed.

It would be great if you could start looking for an aarch64 machine to
plug into Hydra, or maybe start with a VM.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ludo’.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
@ 2017-03-06 10:19   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2017-03-06 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

On March 6, 2017 11:57:44 AM GMT+02:00, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:
>
>> Its my pleasure to announce that guix now has all the code necessary
>> support aarch64! Currently support is limited to the core-updates
>> branch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since currently
>> everything needs to be built from source.
>
>Woohoo!  \o/
>
>Congratulations and a big thank you for all the tireless work!
>
>Let us know if there are still pending patches or anything that needs
>be addressed.
>
>It would be great if you could start looking for an aarch64 machine to
>plug into Hydra, or maybe start with a VM.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Cheers,
>Ludo’.

The odroid-c2 is under $50, I've been using that. Can be powered from the USB flashing port, comes with 4 USB ports, Ethernet and a micro-SD card slot. It does come with 2GB of RAM, some of which is lost to video, but I've had zram enabled and didn't run into any problems until I tried to build boost, which needed more than the 1GB of swap I had. 4xA53 isn't the fastest, but I'm pretty sure its the cheapest option for the RAM. Downside is that it isn't quite yet supported by mainline kernel but there are people actively working on it.

Firefly has a couple of boards with 4 GB of RAM but they're closer to $200 each. I have one ordered to see how that goes.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Guix on Aarch64 !!
@ 2017-03-06 15:42     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> On March 6, 2017 11:57:44 AM GMT+02:00, ludo@gnu.org wrote:

[...]

>>It would be great if you could start looking for an aarch64 machine
>>plug into Hydra, or maybe start with a VM.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Ludo’.
>
> The odroid-c2 is under $50, I've been using that. Can be powered from
> the USB flashing port, comes with 4 USB ports, Ethernet and a micro-SD
> card slot. It does come with 2GB of RAM, some of which is lost to
> video, but I've had zram enabled and didn't run into any problems
> until I tried to build boost, which needed more than the 1GB of swap I
> had. 4xA53 isn't the fastest, but I'm pretty sure its the cheapest
> option for the RAM. Downside is that it isn't quite yet supported by
> mainline kernel but there are people actively working on it.
>
> Firefly has a couple of boards with 4 GB of RAM but they're closer to
> $200 each. I have one ordered to see how that goes.

OK.  Once you have experience with the Firefly one, we could buy
whichever seems most appropriate, we have funds for that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.