all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Zotero Packaging Request
@ 2019-03-25 18:55 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-03-25 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Can anyone package Zotero (https://www.zotero.org/) into Guix? It is a powerful reference management software that is being used in academia, literature and journalism. This packaging will be useful for many users. Kindly consider.

Please and Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Zotero Packaging Request
@ 2019-03-25 19:21 ` Pierre Neidhardt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, guix-devel

Hi!

This does not seem too hard.  Anyone?
If no one gets to it within a week, I'll do it.
Please ping me.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Zotero Packaging Request
@ 2019-03-25 19:23 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-03-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, guix-devel

Hi Pierre!

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Regards,
RG.

@ 2019-03-27 14:31 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-03-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Raghav,

"Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> skribis:

> Can anyone package Zotero (https://www.zotero.org/) into Guix? It is a
> powerful reference management software that is being used in academia,
> literature and journalism. This packaging will be useful for many
> users. Kindly consider.

As you know Guix is driven by volunteers who choose to donate their time
to this collaborative effort and to work with one another.  I would
kindly invite you to join us, this is a great opportunity!

If you’re already using Guix, getting into the position of a packager
should not be too difficult.  Pierre wrote a tutorial that should help
you get started:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/

along with the reference manual:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html

People on IRC and on the help-guix mailing list will happily provide
guidance.

Ludo’.

* Re: Zotero Packaging Request
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-03-28 19:18 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-03-28 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Ludo!

Thanks for the information. Sure, I will definitely try packaging some apps. I needed to ask someone this time as I preoccupied with writing a book and planning to be published under GNU Press. It's involves free software and guix. So it would be helpful if someone could cover for this time.

Regards,
RG.

@ 2019-03-30 16:45   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-30 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Raghav,

I'm very sorry, I looked a little too fast (did I look at the wrong
program? :p), and Zotero is actually the very opposite of what it
thought, it's a hard one.

It turns out that Zotero needs... NodeJS (!) and XULrunner (!!!).

As long as Guix won't have a recursive importer for NodeJS, it will be
a big hassle to package Zotero.

Besides, isn't XULrunner deprecated?

More details there:
https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/building_the_standalone_client

Sorry, I'm out :(

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Zotero Packaging Request
@ 2019-03-31  1:02     ` mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-03-31  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: guix-devel

Raghav given Pierre's assessment I just wanted to suggest some potential
Zotero alternatives.

They would require using a document compiler like latex, groff or
pandoc.  I do not know if the following have the feature set that you
are looking for.  I have not used these myself but they would be what I
would look at using if I needed to create citations or bibliographies.

For use with latex:
* biber
* texlive-bibtex

For use with pandoc:
* ghc-pandoc-citeproc

For use with emacs/org:
* emacs-biblio
* emacs-org-ref

I do not know if `refer` is included in the `groff` packaged.

As an aside it is interesting to see that `emacs-zotxt` is packaged.

@ 2019-03-31  6:09   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-03-31  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre!