all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GSoC news
@ 2023-05-04 19:22 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2023-05-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello guix,

We have some news about GSoC, the community is accepting a new intern,
Sarthak. The agreed on internship project title is Parameterized Packages
for GNU Guix. Welcome on board, and we are looking forward to working
together.

As there was quite a lot of competition for places this year we only got
one internship slot assigned, but we are encouraging all prospective
interns to stay around, and try again in the next round. The distributed
substitutes proposals are still on the radar, and  it would be nice to keep
interested people around.

Regards,
g_bor

* Re: GSoC news
@ 2023-05-04 19:57 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2023-05-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix Devel

Welcome Sarthak!

On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 09:22:47PM +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>    Hello guix,
>    We have some news about GSoC, the community is accepting a new intern,
>    Sarthak. The agreed on internship project title is Parameterized
>    Packages for GNU Guix. Welcome on board, and we are looking forward to
>    working together.
>    As there was quite a lot of competition for places this year we only
>    got one internship slot assigned, but we are encouraging all
>    prospective interns to stay around, and try again in the next round.
>    The distributed substitutes proposals are still on the radar, and  it
>    would be nice to keep interested people around.
>    Regards,
>    g_bor

* Re: GSoC news
@ 2023-05-04 22:05   ` Sarthak Shah
From: Sarthak Shah @ 2023-05-04 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Gábor Boskovits, Guix Devel

Hello Guix,

Thanks for having me onboard!
I hope that my project will prove useful to Guix.

My project is about implementing Parameterized Packages, which will add
optional Gentoo USE flag-like functionality to Guix packages. This will not
only help reduce package size but also provide users with greater choice
with how they'd like to use their packages. I believe that this should also
help somewhat relieve the issue of the denseness of guix's dependency
graphs, which was recently being discussed here on the mailing list.

Due to the nature of this project, it will involve taking a lot of inputs
from the Guix community, and thus you can expect a regular thread or two
with updates/feature discussions on this topic in the mailing list.

Once again, thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

Sincerely,
Sarthak (cel7t)

On Fri, 5 May, 2023, 01:29 Pjotr Prins, <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> Welcome Sarthak!
>
> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 09:22:47PM +0200, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> >    Hello guix,
> >    We have some news about GSoC, the community is accepting a new intern,
> >    Sarthak. The agreed on internship project title is Parameterized
> >    Packages for GNU Guix. Welcome on board, and we are looking forward to
> >    working together.
> >    As there was quite a lot of competition for places this year we only
> >    got one internship slot assigned, but we are encouraging all
> >    prospective interns to stay around, and try again in the next round.
> >    The distributed substitutes proposals are still on the radar, and  it
> >    would be nice to keep interested people around.
> >    Regards,
> >    g_bor

* Re: GSoC news
@ 2023-05-05 13:55     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-05-05 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarthak Shah, Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Gábor Boskovits, Guix Devel

Hi Sarthak,

On ven., 05 mai 2023 at 03:35, Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for having me onboard!

Welcome!

> I hope that my project will prove useful to Guix.

Cool!

> Due to the nature of this project, it will involve taking a lot of inputs
> from the Guix community, and thus you can expect a regular thread or two
> with updates/feature discussions on this topic in the mailing list.

Well, I do not know if pointing past discussions is helpful.  Bah, just
in case. ;-)  In addition to [1],

        Parameterized packages
        Tue, 14 May 2019 13:54:18 +0200
        Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
        id:87woitz1xx.fsf@gnu.org
        https://yhetil.org/guix/87woitz1xx.fsf@gnu.org/#r

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00312.html

See you around.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: GSoC news
@ 2023-05-07 21:36     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-05-07 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarthak Shah; +Cc: Pjotr Prins, Gábor Boskovits, Guix Devel

Hi Sarthak,

Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> skribis:

> Thanks for having me onboard!
> I hope that my project will prove useful to Guix.

Welcome on board!!  Really happy to have you here.

> My project is about implementing Parameterized Packages, which will add
> optional Gentoo USE flag-like functionality to Guix packages. This will not
> only help reduce package size but also provide users with greater choice
> with how they'd like to use their packages. I believe that this should also
> help somewhat relieve the issue of the denseness of guix's dependency
> graphs, which was recently being discussed here on the mailing list.
>
> Due to the nature of this project, it will involve taking a lot of inputs
> from the Guix community, and thus you can expect a regular thread or two
> with updates/feature discussions on this topic in the mailing list.

Indeed!  Like you write, there’s a lot of potential with parameterized
packages, and I’m confident you can make great strides in this area.
Oh, and ‘--with-configure-flags’ is already a success among HPC people
I’ve talked to!  :-)

Cheers,
Ludo’.

* Re: GSoC news
@ 2023-05-08  2:02     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-05-08  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarthak Shah; +Cc: Pjotr Prins, Gábor Boskovits, Guix Devel

Hi Sarthak,

Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> Thanks for having me onboard!
> I hope that my project will prove useful to Guix.
>
> My project is about implementing Parameterized Packages, which will add
> optional Gentoo USE flag-like functionality to Guix packages. This will not
> only help reduce package size but also provide users with greater choice
> with how they'd like to use their packages. I believe that this should also
> help somewhat relieve the issue of the denseness of guix's dependency
> graphs, which was recently being discussed here on the mailing list.
>
> Due to the nature of this project, it will involve taking a lot of inputs
> from the Guix community, and thus you can expect a regular thread or two
> with updates/feature discussions on this topic in the mailing list.
>
> Once again, thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

Welcome!  One of the things I enjoy most about the Guix community is how
lively it is.  I'd recommend the #guix IRC channel on the libera.chat
server if you haven't already, where more than 400 people regularly
discuss and try to help each others.

I wish you the best of luck in your project, and most importantly, to
have fun doing it!

Maxim