all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* French info pages?
@ 2018-06-22 14:00 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi there!

On my english system, I noticed since a recent `guix pull && guix
package -u` my `dir` info buffer looks like the following

File: dir,	Node: Top	This is the top of the INFO tree

  This (the Directory node) gives a menu of major topics.
  Typing "q" exits, "H" lists all Info commands, "d" returns here,
  "h" gives a primer for first-timers,
  "mEmacs<Return>" visits the Emacs manual, etc.

  In Emacs, you can click mouse button 2 on a menu item or cross reference
  to select it.

* Menu:

Administration système
* guix gc : (guix)Invoquer guix gc.
                                Récupérer de l’espace disque inutilisé.
* guix package : (guix)Invoquer guix package.
                                Intaller, supprimer et mettre à jour des
                                  paquets.
* guix pull : (guix)Invoquer guix pull.
                                Mettre à jour la liste des paquets
                                  disponibles.
* guix system : (guix)Invoquer guix system.
                                Gérer la configuration du système
                                  d’exploitation.
* Guix: (guix).                 Gérer les logiciels installés et la
                                  configuration du système.

Développement logiciel
* guix build : (guix)Invoquer guix build.
                                Construire des paquets.
* guix environment : (guix)Invoquer guix environment.
                                Construire des environnements de construction
                                  avec Guix.
* guix pack : (guix) Invoquer guix pack.
                                Créer des lots binaires.

Software development

Those nodes are broken, they don't open any file.
Everything after "Software development" is fine.

My locale is

(operating-system
 (locale "en_US.utf8")

although I noticed that the system seems to have more:

> locale -a
ca_ES.utf8
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
el_GR.utf8
en_AU.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_US.UTF-8
es_AR.utf8
es_CL.utf8
es_ES.utf8
es_MX.utf8
fi_FI.utf8
fr_BE.utf8
fr_CA.utf8
fr_CH.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
ga_IE.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_PT.utf8
ro_RO.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
uk_UA.utf8
vi_VN.utf8
zh_CN.utf8

Anyone else?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-06-22 14:10 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-06-22 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

The broken nodes are my fault :/ I will fix that as soon as I can.
Basically, they exist as (guix.fr)Invoquer ... instead of
(guix)Invoquer ...

Otherwise, that's because we install localized info pages during guix
pull. Info doesn't support locale-based directories like man, so you see
all
languages (currently only French and English). Unfortunately, this
feature
is documented as something that will not be implemented:

https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/texinfo/trunk/TODO
(Support installation of manuals in different languages).

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-06-22 15:53   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

OK, thanks for the heads up.
So does it mean that all languages will always get displayed in the dir node?
If more languages get added in the future, wouldn't that clutter the buffer?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

"We will bury you."
-- Nikita Kruschev

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-06-22 15:59     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-06-22 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Le 2018-06-22 17:53, Pierre Neidhardt a écrit :
> OK, thanks for the heads up.
> So does it mean that all languages will always get displayed in the dir
> node?
> If more languages get added in the future, wouldn't that clutter the
> buffer?

Yes, and that's not something we want. We don't want to hide localized
info pages
either, though. I wonder what a good solution could be...

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-06-22 16:05       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hmm... Locales are defined at the system level.
I don't know if traditional unices can define locale for individual user profiles.
I think desktop environments handle that themselves.
Maybe Guix could introduce an environment variable, e.g. GUIX_USER_LOCALE.
Guix can then inspect the content of this variable when installing info pages and link appropriately.

What do you think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

"If you want to know what happens to you when you die, go look at some dead
stuff."
-- Dave Enyeart

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-06-23 22:35   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-06-23 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hey,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> Otherwise, that's because we install localized info pages during guix
> pull. Info doesn't support locale-based directories like man, so you
> see all
> languages (currently only French and English). Unfortunately, this
> feature
> is documented as something that will not be implemented:
>
> https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/texinfo/trunk/TODO
> (Support installation of manuals in different languages).

Well this is something Someone might want to push given that the
rationale in the file above is just that there aren’t many manuals in
multiple languages.  I think it’s important to provide a level of
multilingual support comparable to what ‘man’ provides.

Ludo’.

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-06-23 22:39       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-06-23 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> Le 2018-06-22 17:53, Pierre Neidhardt a écrit :
>> OK, thanks for the heads up.
>> So does it mean that all languages will always get displayed in the
>> dir node?
>> If more languages get added in the future, wouldn't that clutter the
>> buffer?
>
> Yes, and that's not something we want. We don't want to hide localized
> info pages
> either, though. I wonder what a good solution could be...

Perhaps we could tweak our info-dir profile hook to run ‘install-info’
once per language, such that we’d have “dir.fr” and “dir”?

Then we would still need to Info readers to pick the right file by
default based on the locale.

In the meantime, since nobody will know about “dir.fr”, we could add a
sentence at the beginning of the English manual saying “This manual is
also available in: French, …”.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: French info pages?
@ 2018-08-19 23:25         ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2018-08-19 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm... Locales are defined at the system level.
> I don't know if traditional unices can define locale for individual user profiles.
> I think desktop environments handle that themselves.
> Maybe Guix could introduce an environment variable, e.g. GUIX_USER_LOCALE.
> Guix can then inspect the content of this variable when installing info pages and link appropriately.
>
> What do you think?

The idea is good, but the implementation would need to be thought in
a way where we wouldn't introduce impurities in the functional model of
Guix by doing environment variable lookups. I'm not sure at this time
how it could be done cleanly.

Maxim