all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Segmentation fault
@ 2023-11-22 18:11 Ignas Lapėnas
From: Ignas Lapėnas @ 2023-11-22 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure where I should register this, so I’m writing here.
Running system vm following the time-machine gives out segmentation fault.

guix time-machine –commit=v1.3.0 – system vm config.scm

If I understand correctly the time-machine should pull the sources with the
tagged commit and use that as the basis for running following guix commands and
there shouldn’t be a problem.

Can someone point exactly how could I approach in trying to fix it?
Tried strace but nothing actually points out to me as going wrong.

So far I’m in complete ave seeing learning about the project and really in a
deep desire to contribute. Thanks to all the people who are working tirelessly
to the first actual solution of a unified (even solarpunk) software distribution
system. You guys are the best!!!

–
Best Regards,
Ignas Lapėnas

* Re: Segmentation fault
@ 2023-11-22 20:17 ` Wojtek Kosior via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Wojtek Kosior via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-11-22 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignas Lapėnas; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi there

> I’m not sure where I should register this, so I’m writing here.
> Running system vm following the time-machine gives out segmentation fault.
>
> guix time-machine –commit=v1.3.0 – system vm config.scm

Could you please provide the contents of a config.scm file that could
be used to reproduce the problem?

Best :)
Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:11:42 +0200 Ignas Lapėnas <ignas@lapenas.dev> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m not sure where I should register this, so I’m writing here.
> Running system vm following the time-machine gives out segmentation fault.
>
> guix time-machine –commit=v1.3.0 – system vm config.scm
>
> If I understand correctly the time-machine should pull the sources with the
> tagged commit and use that as the basis for running following guix commands and
> there shouldn’t be a problem.
>
> Can someone point exactly how could I approach in trying to fix it?
> Tried strace but nothing actually points out to me as going wrong.
>
> So far I’m in complete ave seeing learning about the project and really in a
> deep desire to contribute. Thanks to all the people who are working tirelessly
> to the first actual solution of a unified (even solarpunk) software distribution
> system. You guys are the best!!!
>
> –
> Best Regards,
> Ignas Lapėnas

* Re: Segmentation fault
@ 2023-11-22 20:28   ` Ignas Lapėnas
From: Ignas Lapėnas @ 2023-11-22 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wojtek Kosior; +Cc: guix-devel

> Could you please provide the contents of a config.scm file that could
> be used to reproduce the problem?
Attaching the config.scm
Cleaned it up a lot from my system, still getting the seg fault.
No seg fault when running directly tho.
Also I can see that my email client converts double dashes to single ones…

Sorry for not attaching it on first message.

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm --]

(use-modules (gnu)
             (srfi srfi-1)
             (gnu packages admin)
             (gnu packages compression)
             (gnu packages databases)
             (gnu packages file)
             (gnu packages freedesktop)
             (gnu packages terminals)
             (gnu services databases)
             (gnu services desktop)
             (gnu services web))

(use-service-modules cups desktop networking ssh xorg)
(use-package-modules linux
                     ssh
                     vim
                     wm
                     xdisorg
                     xorg
                     web-browsers
                     version-control
                     video)

(operating-system
  (host-name "lamp-vm")
  (locale "lt_LT.utf8")
  (timezone "Europe/Vilnius")
  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "euro"))

  ;; The list of user accounts ('root' is implicit).
  (users (cons* (user-account
                  (name "ignaslapenas")
                  (comment "Ignas Lapenas")
                  (group "users")
                  (home-directory "/home/ignaslapenas")
                  (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
                %base-user-accounts))

  ;; Packages installed system-wide.  Users can also install packages
  ;; under their own account: use 'guix search KEYWORD' to search
  ;; for packages and 'guix install PACKAGE' to install a package.
  (packages (append (list (specification->package "nss-certs")
                          file
                          iftop
                          mysql
                          openssh
                          strace
                          tar
                          unzip
                          vim)
                    %base-packages))

  ;; Below is the list of system services.  To search for available
  ;; services, run 'guix system search KEYWORD' in a terminal.
  (services (append
             (remove (lambda (service)
                       (eq? (service-kind service) gdm-service-type))
                     %desktop-services)
             (list (service mysql-service-type)
                   (service php-fpm-service-type
                            (php-fpm-configuration
                             (socket "/var/run/php-fpm.sock")
                             (socket-group "httpd")))
                   (service httpd-service-type
                            (httpd-configuration
                             (config
                              (httpd-config-file
                               (listen '("0.0.0.0:80"))
                               (modules (cons*
                                         (httpd-module
                                          (name "proxy_module")
                                          (file "modules/mod_proxy.so"))
                                         (httpd-module
                                          (name "rewrite_module")
                                          (file "modules/mod_rewrite.so"))
                                         (httpd-module
                                          (name "ssl_module")
                                          (file "modules/mod_ssl.so"))
                                         (httpd-module
                                          (name "proxy_fcgi_module")
                                          (file "modules/mod_proxy_fcgi.so"))
                                         %default-httpd-modules))
                               (extra-config
                                (list (string-join
                                       '("<FilesMatch \\.php$>"
                                         "    SetHandler \"proxy:unix:/var/run/php-fpm.sock|fcgi://localhost/\""
                                         "</FilesMatch>")
                                       "\n")))
                               ))))
                   (simple-service 'aristocracy.lt-server httpd-service-type
                                   (list
                                    (httpd-virtualhost
                                     "*:80"
                                     (list
                                      (string-join
                                       '("ServerName aristocracy.lt"
                                         "DocumentRoot /srv/http/aristocracy.lt/"
                                         "ErrorLog /srv/http/aristocracy.lt/logs/error_log"
                                         "CustomLog /srv/http/aristocracy.lt/logs/access_log combined"
                                         )
                                       "\n")))
                                    ))
                   )))
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                (targets (list "/dev/sdX"))
                (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

  (file-systems (cons* (file-system
                         (mount-point "/")
                         (device "/dev/sda1")
                         (type "ext4"))
                       %base-file-systems))
  )

* Re: Segmentation fault
@ 2023-11-23  7:32     ` Ignas Lapėnas
From: Ignas Lapėnas @ 2023-11-23  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all,

Apparently It’s my stupid mistake. Forgot to use “sudo” when running guix system
before time-machine.

Works:
sudo guix time-machine --commit=v1.3.0 –-channels=./channels.scm -- system vm config.scm

Segfaults:
guix time-machine --commit=v1.3.0 –-channels=./channels.scm -- system vm config.scm

My guess it’s a permission thing although not completely sure which. The user
was added kvm group for read/write access following the manual.
I’ll try to look up what’s exactly wrong with my setup.

Sorry for taking your time.
Once again thank you guys for making GUIX happen!!!

–
Best Regards,
Ignas Lapėnas

* Re: Segmentation fault
@ 2023-11-23 13:08       ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-11-23 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignas Lapėnas, guix-devel

Hi Ignas,

On Thu, Nov 23 2023, Ignas Lapėnas wrote:

> Segfaults:
> guix time-machine --commit=v1.3.0 –-channels=./channels.scm -- system vm config.scm

I don't use time-machine often, but I'm pretty confident that
segmentation faults are always critical bugs.

That's especially true for interpreted languages like GNU Guile.

Please consider filing a bug, although we'd have to determine first if
the bug is Guix proper or in Guile. Thank you!

Kind regards
Felix