all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PrivateInternetAccess VPN and Guix
@ 2019-05-28 16:36 oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-05-28 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

So I'm trying to get a VPN up and running on Guix System, but
unfortunately I'm not able to run it.

It gives an error here:

Verifying archive integrity...  100%   MD5 checksums are OK. All good.
Uncompressing Private Internet Access  100%
Downloads/pia-linux-1.1.1-02545.run: ./install.sh: /bin/bash: bad
interpreter: No such file or directory
Downloads/pia-linux-1.1.1-02545.run: line 616: /bin/rm: No such file or
directory

Which I suppose relates to the way Guix packages software. I know it
works easily on Trisquel at least, but I enjoy Guix System very much
already!

* Re: PrivateInternetAccess VPN and Guix
@ 2019-05-29  3:04 ` Meiyo Peng
From: Meiyo Peng @ 2019-05-29  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

oury.dustin@posteo.net writes:

> So I'm trying to get a VPN up and running on Guix System, but unfortunately I'm
> not able to run it.
>
> It gives an error here:
>
> Verifying archive integrity...  100%   MD5 checksums are OK. All good.
> Uncompressing Private Internet Access  100%
> Downloads/pia-linux-1.1.1-02545.run: ./install.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter:
> No such file or directory
> Downloads/pia-linux-1.1.1-02545.run: line 616: /bin/rm: No such file or
> directory

Guix does not comply with FHS [1].  So there is no /bin/bash and
/bin/rm.  We do not support third-party binary packages.  Please do not
install them on Guix system.  These packages will not work normally on
Guix.  (Yes.  There are dirty tricks to make them work.  But we do not
recommend them.)

PrivateInternetAccess provides OpenVPN access [2].  Please try the free
OpenVPN package from Guix: `guix package -i openvpn`.

> Which I suppose relates to the way Guix packages software. I know it works
> easily on Trisquel at least, but I enjoy Guix System very much already!

Guix is very different from traditional GNU/Linux distros.  Have fun
with Guix!  And feel free to ask questions here.

Reference:
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
2. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

--
Meiyo Peng
https://www.pengmeiyu.com/

* Re: PrivateInternetAccess VPN and Guix
@ 2019-05-29 13:29   ` oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-05-29 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meiyo Peng; +Cc: Help guix

Thank you! So I managed to get it working mostly okay through installing
openvpn and running sudo (should I actually be running this as sudo?)
--config my-openvpn-config.opvn

Note: Attempting to use the gnome network settings did not work and
complains it couldn't find a vpn connection. Possibly due to how the
.opvn file is formatted?

@ 2019-06-03  1:34     ` Meiyo Peng
From: Meiyo Peng @ 2019-06-03  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oury.dustin; +Cc: Help guix

Hi,

oury.dustin@posteo.net writes:

> So I managed to get it working mostly okay through installing openvpn
> and running sudo (should I actually be running this as sudo?) --config
> my-openvpn-config.opvn

Yes.  Running OpenVPN requires root privilege.

> Note: Attempting to use the gnome network settings did not work and complains it
> couldn't find a vpn connection. Possibly due to how the .opvn file is formatted?

I am not a Gnome user.  No idea.

--
Meiyo Peng
https://www.pengmeiyu.com/

* Re: PrivateInternetAccess VPN and Guix
@ 2019-06-03 12:10       ` oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-06-03 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meiyo Peng; +Cc: Help guix

Welp. I've read of being able to run it as non-root on other distros. So
if possible I'd love to be able to. Not sure if it's a big security risk
to run openvpn as root or not though.

@ 2019-06-04  4:03         ` Meiyo Peng
From: Meiyo Peng @ 2019-06-04  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oury.dustin; +Cc: Help guix

Hi,

oury.dustin@posteo.net writes:

> Welp. I've read of being able to run it as non-root on other distros. So if
> possible I'd love to be able to. Not sure if it's a big security risk to run
> openvpn as root or not though.

There is an openvpn-client-service-type in Guix.  Maybe that's a better
choice.

--
Meiyo Peng
https://www.pengmeiyu.com/